Sign in to follow this  
GOAT

Left back

Them and us seem to have an issue with this position. Square pegs in round holes. Barasic should be more than capable but has no confidence and struggling to cope with the pressure. Flanagan is the go to man when steel is required but lacks the finesse when it comes to passing etc. Halliday will always do a job in the blue jersey but not sure he can go up a level. We plod on with what we have as we no doubt continue to search for the man with the golden boot.

People are already making the same excuses for Barisic that they were making last season. How long do we give him to “bed in” and get “up to speed” before we say enough is enough?

He’s 26 years old, has played international football and we paid a decent sum of money for. If he’s not doing it after a year then the chances are he’s probably never going to, and to be honest, I don’t think he has the heart for it and that’s something that can’t be taught on the training pitch or worked on in the gym.

beararse and Cedrick like this

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People are already making the same excuses for Barisic that they were making last season. How long do we give him to “bed in” and get “up to speed” before we say enough is enough?

He’s 26 years old, has played international football and we paid a decent sum of money for. If he’s not doing after a year then the chances are he’s probably never going to, and to be honest, I don’t think he has the heart for it and that’s something that can’t be taught on the training pitch or worked on in the gym.

Time is running out for him, he's got until January for me. 

NorthernLights likes this

Flanagan is terrible. He has a couple of average games and people seem to think he's alright for the job, he's shite. Puts in  a decent tackle once in a while and wins support for that.

If Halliday had been a new signing without people judging him based on previous seasons we'd probably be happy with him. He starts for me every week, it's his place to lose. He's definitely not the answer but at the minute he's the best we have until either we spend or Barasic realises this potential that I personally don't see.

Johnstone Burgh likes this

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

He’s 26 years old, has played international football and we paid a decent sum of money for. If he’s not doing it after a year then the chances are he’s probably never going to, and to be honest, I don’t think he has the heart for it and that’s something that can’t be taught on the training pitch or worked on in the gym.

The thing is though we have played 8 competitive games and he's only featured in three.

Played well against ST Josephs. Subbed at HT against Progres and that was a result of diving/poor official and Kilmarnock. Killie game he was decent and that performance was certainly better than Flanagans last two IMO.

So he's not getting a continued run in the side. One reason is the manager has his fave in Flanagan and also I don't think he trusts Barisic. 

Unless he gets a few games in a row just sell him.

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

+1

Probably the last piece of the jigsaw for me. 

If Barisic can't be trusted to play in a risk free Europa League tie it doesn't look good for him. 

Hopefully we are actively seeking to recruit a replacement.

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

100% bang on 

Halliday and Flanagan are out of contract next summer.  I'd be tempted to let one or both go and use those wages to get in Greg Taylor (assuming he's still at Kilmarnock). 

We know the limits of Flanagan and Halliday. At least there is the hope Barisic might develop into a useful asset.

i still think there’s a player there. But whether he’s just short of confidence or fitness I don’t know.

if he could get a run of 8 or 9 games in a row I think he’d deliver. But it’s probably a gamble we can’t afford (or Gerrard doesn’t want to take given last night)

it makes it very difficult to attack down the left with Flanagan tho. He doesn’t even pretend to make an overlapping run. Teams can just double up on our left winger.

Flanagan i’d have in my team every day for games against the sheep or Hibs away. It can get the rest of the team going if he clatters into a few tackles

Just now, Smell the hotdog said:

Can’t believe we have people who think Halliday is our best left back. Fuck me

To be fair, it doesn't matter who anyone thinks is our best left back. The point is that we don't have a left back good enough for this team.

Bears r us likes this

Halliday has an opportunity today against shite opposition to show what he can do but didn’t take it.  It’s up to Barisic and Flanagan now in the weeks ahead.

I'd be looking at EPL clubs for any good young left backs on loan for a season at the very least, to have 3 players for one jersey and not one of them good enough is criminal. 

Halliday was utter chronic the day and that's against East Fife which says it all, although Barisic can't get a game against any cunt which maybe says even more. Flanagan is the least shite of the 3 imo but ffs..