Greg Docherty

CoatbridgeBear

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him but he isn't the finished article yet. Played one great pass down the inside left channel when he came on then lost control a couple of times.

He has the attitude and the energy but not the ability to back those up yet. I'd like to see him stay and develop under Gerrard this season. There are games where his energy and attitude will be good in a destroyer role to hound and harass other teams late on.

If he does develop and helps out in 15-20 games, great. If not, move him on next year while he is still young and can make a career for himself elsewhere.

The best way to blood young players is to not have to rely on them - too often in recent years we have had so little quality we have been hanging everything on some youngsters coming through which puts massive pressure on them. I don't think Doherty is good enough to start yet but the ideal situation for him is to come off the bench when we are 2 up in games and he gets a chance to express himself with less pressure. In that way having quality players ahead of him can actually help his development as it protects him more, provided he is prepared to work hard on his attitude and fitness and take the chances he gets. 

He was one of our best players in the full game he played. Then he comes on as a late sub when the whole team wasn't playing as well. Made a very nice defense splitting pass. Couple of miscontrols and he suddenly isn't good enough. 

Some people need to lighten up and give players a chance to progress and improve.

1 minute ago, JograBear said:

He was one of our best players in the full game he played. Then he comes on as a late sub when the whole team wasn't playing as well. Made a very nice defense splitting pass. Couple of miscontrols and he suddenly isn't good enough

Some people need to lighten up and give players a chance to progress and improve.

Hasn’t been good enough since he joined mate. It’s harsh, but we need to be ruthless. No time for sentiment. 

Of all the teams playing in the Europa qualifiers this season, I doubt if there are more than a handful who have a set of starting central midfielders who are harder to displace than ours, so it might well be better for him to go out on loan again for 6-12 months. 

11 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Docherty couldn't lace Rossiter's boots in my opinion but that is another topic completely.  He is a good guy, Rangers supporter with great work ethic but skill wise no where near what is required. I was surprised at his inclusion.

Rossiter would probably injure himself trying to lace his own boots to be fair 

Poor lad has a bad time being subbed out for Jack which is not his game  and some want him gone. No wonder we cant bring young players into the first team.

Totally different player to Rossiter IMO, so I dont get the comparison 

Nearest player  you could compare to Docherty is Arfield  and  if he is given the opportunity  in this sort of position  I think the lad will prosper.

Dont think the shape of the team suits either of these two tbh and both have struggled played in a deeper role 

11 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Docherty couldn't lace Rossiter's boots in my opinion but that is another topic completely.  He is a good guy, Rangers supporter with great work ethic but skill wise no where near what is required. I was surprised at his inclusion.

Rossiter couldn't lace his own boots without getting injured. 

Hard to judge him given his lack of game time. We went a bit flat after he and Jones came on and he couldn't seem to find any space. Is that down to his overall capabilities or lack of games ?

He also had a chance of a shot near the end but opted to play the ball wide, lacking confidence for me.

13 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Doc is not good enough.  No disrespect but he's a hibs Aberdeen hearts level of player. 

There is levels in this game.

He will end up at Aberdeen as part of a swap deal for Ferguson in time I reckon, just a thought nothing else. 

3 hours ago, southcoastbear said:

Poor lad has a bad time being subbed out for Jack which is not his game  and some want him gone. No wonder we cant bring young players into the first team.

Totally different player to Rossiter IMO, so I dont get the comparison 

Nearest player  you could compare to Docherty is Arfield  and  if he is given the opportunity  in this sort of position  I think the lad will prosper.

Dont think the shape of the team suits either of these two tbh and both have struggled played in a deeper role 

Arfield is different class from Docherty.  Docherty is a trier and fair play to the boy but he's nowhere near the likes of Davis , Aribo or Arfield. 

He won't make it as a midfielder here or at similar level elsewhere. He might make a decent right wingback. He's fit, strong, a proper athlete, can drive up the park and likes a tackle but he doesn't have the guile to play in the centre of the pitch. 

I can see him going on loan in January and if Rossiter is fit and playing every week to that point bring him back as midfielder no 6 and give him another year. He's a much better prospect long term and fitness is his only issue which he seems to be overcoming

3 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

He won't make it as a midfielder here or at similar level elsewhere. He might make a decent right wingback. He's fit, strong, a proper athlete, can drive up the park and likes a tackle but he doesn't have the guile to play in the centre of the pitch. 

I can see him going on loan in January and if Rossiter is fit and playing every week to that point bring him back as midfielder no 6 and give him another year. He's a much better prospect long term and fitness is his only issue which he seems to be overcoming

Fuckin bonkers , Rossiter wont be near the club again......

Let’s see how he does from the start against East Fife. Same goes for Greg Stewart and the other centre backs. Captain should be Halliday at left back with Flanagan at right back. Wingers Brendon  and Hastie.  A good subs if they are not 5-0 up at half time😁

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Fuckin bonkers , Rossiter wont be near the club again......

He might not be, but better than Docherty and will go on to do more in career if his injuries are behind him. Docherty doesn't have the touch to play on a Rangers midfield

1 minute ago, The Blues said:

Let’s see how he does from the start against East Fife. Same goes for Greg Stewart and the other centre backs. Captain should be Halliday at left back with Flanagan at right back. Wingers Brendon  and Hastie.  A good subs if they are not 5-0 up at half time😁

giphy.gif.7d40dc186405b20a1d7932ae4e6a40c3.gif

Archived