Greg Docherty

CoatbridgeBear

2 hours ago, They Gnu said:

He breaks up the opposition play well, at Shrewsbury he proved he has a shot and he’s improving generally. Thing is once some have branded him a dud they’d rather he failed than Rangers profited from his play. 

Not the case at all. 

He just isn’t good enough. That’s the reality. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with a run of games he could do well. He has a great engine, great strength and determination but perhaps a little short on the technical ability compared to the other midfielders we have. In turn I don’t think he’ll get the run of games he wants and needs.

A definite squad player who, could and most likely will be involved over a busy season stacked with games if our European spell continues after the Polish.

19 hours ago, Boybluesy said:

Arfield is different class from Docherty.  Docherty is a trier and fair play to the boy but he's nowhere near the likes of Davis , Aribo or Arfield. 

How do you know unless the lad is given the opportunity  to play in an advanced role as an attacking mid , I'll reserve judgement  on the lad until  he is given the chance .

As I said Arfield has been poor in that deeper role and has been moved forward does the lad  no deserve the same opportunity? 

On 17/08/2019 at 03:13, southcoastbear said:

How do you know unless the lad is given the opportunity  to play in an advanced role as an attacking mid , I'll reserve judgement  on the lad until  he is given the chance .

As I said Arfield has been poor in that deeper role and has been moved forward does the lad  no deserve the same opportunity? 

Deserve??  no one deserves anything -- he, same as Halliday and Stewart, was given a chance today which should have been grabbed with both hands and all three failed to do that.  

You hear this all the time. “Boy will come good if he has a run of games”. But honestly why would you give him a run of games when he looks so poor and Davis, Aribo, and Jack are in such good form?

He can come in and do a job now and again like today to get us over the line against poor opposition but he’s never going to be starting in games against celtic or in Europe unless there’s a few injuries.

He’s a squad option at best and I don’t think he has the goods or the potential to be a regular starter here ever.

On 16/08/2019 at 20:03, graeme_4 said:

Not the case at all. 

He just isn’t good enough. That’s the reality. 

It’s the same shite people resort to when people don’t rate a player or manager.

Happens with Barisic, happened with Pedro, and with Gerrard last season. Load of fucking shite argument.

18 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Not at the level of the rest.

Jack, Davis, Aribo, Kamara and now King are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Arfield probably is as well despite the fact he's been playing further up.

Early days to consider King above him. He has a better CV and will hopefully prove a shrewd signing but he's a long way to go to be at the level the first 4 mentioned have hit this season (Kamara a bit hot and cold for me). He needs match sharpness obviously but Docherty offered more yesterday than King who showed none of his quality.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Early days to consider King above him. He has a better CV and will hopefully prove a shrewd signing but he's a long way to go to be at the level the first 4 mentioned have hit this season (Kamara a bit hot and cold for me). He needs match sharpness obviously but Docherty offered more yesterday than King who showed none of his quality.

I think the fact King was brought in at all is quite telling. 

I’d loan him out in the SPFL. 

Look at what they’ve done over the years, had their young players develop in the league whilst being able to play against every team bar them and they’ve had a decent success rate in terms of first team starters, not whether they’re good enough which is another debate. 

I’m excited to see Middleton and McPake out on loan even though I wished McPake went to an SPFL club. 

4 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

I think the fact King was brought in at all is quite telling. 

Think so too and hope he does well. But he's not going to get many games in the next month to get to match sharpness, barring potentially St Mirren the scheduled games aren't ones where we'll carry folk. Might be mid September before he might get a run of games.

His best attribute is running powerfully with the ball but he only did that once yesterday (that I can remember). Against East Fife. That's just not good enough and tbh he will be the first to accept that was a poor performance from him. 

His time at the club is running out. 

We have a lot of choice in midfield and Docherty is down the pecking order. However this could easily be a 60+ game season so he will get chances.

If he is content to be squad member and fight for a jersey then I would not send him on loan again. See no point in that. He is either good enough or he is not.

Archived