Who should be our first choice left back?

Who Should Be Our First Choice Left Back?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our first choice left back?

The fact you can have a serious debate on whether Halliday or Flanagan should start ahead of Barisic shows you just how bad hes been since he got here.

Hes had more than enough time to settle and hasn't so it's about time we cut our losses on him & get a replacement in before the end of the window.

33 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Then there is the RB slot. Again not any better imo than the LB.

Poor outballs. Square passing. Poor final balls. Out of position. Happens pretty much every game. 

Haven't seen a polished performance this season in that slot.

If that is the standard, we aint aiming high. Living on his performances on the latter part of last season.

We have pretty much improved on every area, but not in LB or RB. IMO, our two weakest areas. Is Polson it? I guess we'll never know, because Tav doesn't get benched.

I notice Alfie was picked up by some on misplaced passes, but no one appears to pick up on Tav's, which have been far more. Strange.

Incoming.......

For me tavernier is one of those players now and no matter how badly he plays he won't get much criticism and the ones who do criticise him are accused of having an agenda against him almost like the ones who would like to see Barisic given a run of games. 

But I agree the 2 weakest links in our team are the full backs

Apart from Barisic who hasn't tried a damn in my books and can get to fuck, Halliday and Flanno have so many pros and cons in playing out of position it is unfair to judge them imo. if we have a decent youth LB it may be worth trying out if we have not got enough for another player this year.

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

None of them tbh. None are strong at the back on the ground, in the air, and can attack like a wing back and assist from out wide. So it's rightly a game by game selection decision for the gaffer imo.

So what shall we do? Pull a Lennon and play Aribo? You have to pick one of them unfortunately so I went with Barisic.

12 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

For me tavernier is one of those players now and no matter how badly he plays he won't get much criticism and the ones who do criticise him are accused of having an agenda against him almost like the ones who would like to see Barisic given a run of games. 

lol

13 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

I notice the weekly Tav appreciation threads have disappeared. Says it all.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

lol

I take it you disagree?? 

Look at it this way left back we all know about. RB we have tavernier but after that we have Polster who is untried and Flanagan who I suspect wouldnt be any better than he is at lb. 

Compare those positions to the rest of the team where we are extremely strong with decent cover on a par with the starting player so yeah I do think the 2 weakest areas of the team is the full back positions

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

I take it you disagree?? 

Look at it this way left back we all know about. RB we have tavernier but after that we have Polster who is untried and Flanagan who I suspect wouldnt be any better than he is at lb. 

Compare those positions to the rest of the team where we are extremely strong with decent cover on a par with the starting player so yeah I do think the 2 weakest areas of the team is the full back positions

Don't get me wrong, he has it in him. We've all seen it, but I think he lacks character, not too disimilar to Barisic, but even then, Barisic does have the better technical ability. Tav too laid back for my liking and he's showed little this season so far.

He needs to dig deep and get it out there for the scum game. 

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

From what I’ve read on here and from conversations I’ve had with people I think there is a bit of a generational divide when it comes to Tav and what helps form people’s opinion on him.

What I’ve found is that older fans remember the days when full backs were steady eddies who were defensively minded first and foremost and then you have the younger fans who have grown up in an era where the defending aspect of being a full back has become completely secondary because their main function now is to be an additional attacker.

The older fans see a guy who can’t defend without giving him the credit he deserves for what he offers going forward - pace, power, stamina, great crossing ability - and the younger fans see all that but ignore or maybe don’t see that he’s not as strong defensively as full backs that the older fans might have grown up watching.

He gets credit when credit is due. He is no defender. He As for going forward, he has shown none of that thus far this season. I wonder if he is awake at times.

As for pace, we must be watching different players. As for stamina, he can't get back ffs.

4 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Tavernier and Morelos are the 2 players in our team that are almost impossible to replace. 

No one is impossible to replace and no one bigger than the club.

There is absolutely no comparison in quality between them. In fact to have Alfie in the same btreath as Tav is a contradiction in terms.

22 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I notice the weekly Tav appreciation threads have disappeared. Says it all.

He’s looked tired, but still has contributed significantly in terms of assists at key moments. Both in the win against Killie, the first in Denmark. He dragged us back into it against Killie when others arses were collapsing. 

And of the goals we’ve conceded there’s barely been any down Tav’s side. Everything’s been down the left. Killie, Hibs, in Denmark, last night... 

16 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Don't get me wrong, he has it in him. We've all seen it, but I think he lacks character, not too disimilar to Barisic, but even then, Barisic does have the better technical ability. Tav too laid back for my liking and he's showed little this season so far.

He needs to dig deep and get it out there for the scum game. 

Pish. 

17 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

He gets credit when credit is due. He is no defender. He As for going forward, he has shown none of that thus far this season. I wonder if he is awake at times.

As for pace, we must be watching different players. As for stamina, he can't get back ffs.

Apart from the driving run at Kilmarnock which took us 70 yards up the park and won us the corner that we scored from, the cross for the winner in that game and laying it on a plate for Morelos with a great cross for the opener in Denmark.

As far as watching different games we must be because although he has looked a bit sluggish so far this season his pace and his stamina has never been an issue at any other point of his time here. I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that he’s probably one of our overall fittest players based on the results of every test they did pre season.