Fans Who Went To Barcelona 72, Get Your Memories Posted.

tannerall

12 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Did you at least get to watch it on the telly?Ā 

That's a pretty rotten memory to have of that game. Well before my time, but at least we have Manchester even if we didn't win.

Twas at both so I'm 1 win 1 loss hope to get 2 wins before shuffling offĀ  šŸ™‚Ā 

We'dĀ moved to Saudi Arabia just before the final and I can remember , with the time difference , tuning in the radio to find the score just before going off to school .Ā 

Astonishing to think it took me 10 years to eventuallyĀ see the goals of our greatest triumph , when the bbc ( I think ) showed the highlights in 1982 .Ā 

My memory was the return flight from Barcelona some bears in the bar were celebrating and when their flights were announced calmly said fuck it we.ll just get the next one as if it was a 52 bus. The airport was frantic and the staff seemed happy to allow us to return on any flight and there were stories of fans arriving in Edinburgh instead of Glasgow etc. I just made it to Ibrox in time for the victory paradeĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

We'dĀ moved to Saudi Arabia just before the final and I can remember , with the time difference , tuning in the radio to find the score just before going off to school .Ā 

Astonishing to think it took me 10 years to eventuallyĀ see the goals of our greatest triumph , when the bbc ( I think ) showed the highlights in 1982 .Ā 

FFS -- KSA must have been a lot different inĀ 72 --Ā  they didn't even have the English tv channelĀ  --- used to love SW radio listening to Paddy Feeney on the BBC World Service in the 80's --- he always referred to us as 'the Gers'.Ā 

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

FFS -- KSA must have been a lot different inĀ 72 --Ā  they didn't even have the English tv channelĀ  --- used to love SW radio listening to Paddy Feeney on the BBC World Service in the 80's --- he always referred to us as 'the Gers'.Ā 

Yeah , it was pretty basic . There was an Black and WhiteĀ American channel that was on a few hours a day , the highlight being an old English Div 1 game on a Monday night . The onlyĀ time I saw Ā a RangersĀ game in two years was the 1973 SCF which was shown the week after they showed the English Final . Ā 

As you say , it was the BBC World Service that we relied on for the results .Ā It was strange because Saturday was the first day of the week there Ā so we'd be tuning in about 8/9 at night after coming in from school / work .Ā 

47 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , it was pretty basic . There was an Black and WhiteĀ American channel that was on a few hours a day , the highlight being an old English Div 1 game on a Monday night . The onlyĀ time I saw Ā a RangersĀ game in two years was the 1973 SCF which was shown the week after they showed the English Final . Ā 

As you say , it was the BBC World Service that we relied on for the results .Ā It was strange because Saturday was the first day of the week there Ā so we'd be tuning in about 8/9 at night after coming in from school / work .Ā 

Used to sit outside in my big GMC Blazer and listen to the results -- the radio in the car had better SW reception than my wee SW radio.Ā  Ā Was around 1982 when king Khaled passed away the Channel 2 the English channel came online.Ā  Ā  Now there's hardly a house without a satellite dish šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Was working in Lloret that summer and went to the game with 2 Dutch mates. One of them got lifted after the first goal. Not sure why we didn't get lifted but went back to Lloret after the game thinking that's the last we'll see of him(Franco's regime), but he turned up next morning. They were only interested in those with British passports so released him, lucky guy.Ā His best mate was Ruud Krol (Ajax) who stayed in our flat for a couple of nights .

55 minutes ago, Brackley said:

Pretty sure they showed the whole game after the ScotlandĀ  v Wales game had finished at Hampden.

Yes.Ā 

We ignored the radio the whole night in my house, wanting to watch the delayed coverage, after the nationalĀ  ten o clock news (must haveĀ  been STV), the game was scheduled immediately afterward at 10.30.

We were caught out as the newscaster on 10 o clock news reported we were 3-2 ahead with minutes to play, then no further announcement so we sat through the whole game knowing the score would be 3-2 with a few minutes to play.Ā 

Still can't believe the SFA were able to postpone the coverage so easily.Ā