Let’s play Tavernier at left back!

beararse

29 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

If Flanagan was a decent defender, (btw I’m not convinced he’s a good defender at all) then why can’t he just do what your suggesting tav do, an show he’s a decent defender on the left?

so you know more about a players ability to defend than Gerrard? Is that really what your saying here, cos that’s what it sounds like your saying, you can see tav is dodgy but Gerrard can’t?

My personal opinion is barisic is better than Halliday and Flanagan at lb but I’m happy to admit I know fuckall abt football compared to Gerrard, so if he thinks barisic is shite then he’s more than likely got more of a clue as an ex player & now a manager than somebody like me who makes a living as a joiner

He is a decent defender on the left, but he’s spent majority of his career playing on the right. That’s all.

As for doing what Tav does, Tav is exceptional at what he does well. Maybe we could ask Tav to do what Flanagan does well too, then we’ll end up with two full backs who are brilliant going forward, don’t shit it from 50 50s and keep with their men at corners. 

If you to interpret from this thread that I think I know more than Gerrard, then by that logic,  the majority on RM also think they know more.

Its a fans forum for thoughts and comments.

Some you’ll like, some you’ll think are shit (like this one) regardless of whether you  are a joiner or a Champions League winner.

2 hours ago, beararse said:

No, because one is a striker and one is an attacking midfielder!

Just like I wouldn’t be looking to replace Goldson with Jack.

Dont think I’ve fucked it, and here’s why.

Is left back a problem position? Yes

Is Tavernier a better footballer than Flanagan? Yes.

Is Tavernier a more two footed player than Flanagan? Yes

Is Tavernier more important to Rangers going forward or defending? Going forward

Does Tavernier have to ability to cope and adapt to playing on the left more so than Flanagan? I believe so.

Is Tavernier any less likely to perform his defensive duties as left back? I don’t think so

Is Flanagan a more robust defender than Tavernier? Definitely.

Has Flanagan played the vast majority of games  out of position since signing for Rangers? Yes.

Does Tavernier contribute more in the attacking 2/3rds of the pitch? Yes.

Has Flanagan performed well as right back at Rangers? I’d say so.

You listed 2 games where Flanagan played right back and stated  he was shit in both. Practically the entire Rangers team were shit in both those games.

He has actually played 5 games as right back: in the 4-0 v Ayr, 2-0 win v St Mirren and the 3-3 draw with Motherwell (which, incidentally, was a game where Tavernier lost his man at corners TWICE and they scored on both occasions), as well as the 2 you mentioned but let’s just ignore those games as it doesn’t suit your narrative!

As for the two games you referenced. The Kilmarnock game was the last game of the season and a dead rubber. The Cowdenbeath game wasn’t great but judging him as right back on those two games is a bit harsh. The Cowdenbeath game also had McAuley as Centre Half, and we were 3 up by half time. I would expect having not played the 10 games beforehand might have had an impact on Flanagan’s performance levels. No?

To say Flanagan is a shit left AND right full back  is just nonsense. Gerrard wouldn’t pick him for the all important EL and Old Firm games otherwise. 

Anyway, I happen to believe that Flanagan could contribute more to the team playing right back and that Tavernier would be just as effective as he already is playing left back.

Tbf flanagan has done something tavernier will never do in his career and thats playing for a top 4 epl team AND england. 

1 hour ago, beararse said:

He is a decent defender on the left, but he’s spent majority of his career playing on the right. That’s all.

As for doing what Tav does, Tav is exceptional at what he does well. Maybe we could ask Tav to do what Flanagan does well too, then we’ll end up with two full backs who are brilliant going forward, don’t shit it from 50 50s and keep with their men at corners. 

If you to interpret from this thread that I think I know more than Gerrard, then by that logic,  the majority on RM also think they know more.

Its a fans forum for thoughts and comments.

Some you’ll like, some you’ll think are shit (like this one) regardless of whether you  are a joiner or a Champions League winner.

Flanagan is not a decent defender but, he’s judged on occasion, to be the best choice of 3 players we can play at lb by our manager, even then if he was the best of a bad bunch he’d still not good enough 

as for the rb position, Flanagan hasn’t even got a look in, polster is a better option there

Most weeks we don’t even need a defensive lb or rb in Scotland fs 

Flanagan Is a backup player and will never be anymore than that so that also fucks yer theory right there, Rangers are improving and guys like Halliday, Flanagan’s time with us will be up soon, barisic aswell! At least we’ll get something for him.

1 hour ago, Tomatasauce said:

As for the rb position, Flanagan hasn’t even got a look in, polster is a better option there

And what exactly are you basing that assumption on?

Its certainly not first team action in competitive games.

11 minutes ago, beararse said:

And what exactly are you basing that assumption on?

Its certainly not first team action in competitive games.

Based on, that’s where he was brought in to play, his style of play suits how we as a team play better than Flanagan’s does aswell

Flanagan has pl experience that’s his biggest asset imo he’s not intimidated by any venue or opposition players, I’ve no doubt a fierce competitor in training etc. but his overall game isn’t up to much for me

34 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

Based on, that’s where he was brought in to play, his style of play suits how we as a team play better than Flanagan’s does aswell

Flanagan has pl experience that’s his biggest asset imo he’s not intimidated by any venue or opposition players, I’ve no doubt a fierce competitor in training etc. but his overall game isn’t up to much for me

Maybe, but you could make  the same assumptions about buying Barisic yet Flanagan played  in all the important games last season. 

1 hour ago, beararse said:

I did wonder 🙂

At least you can’t say I don’t stick to my guns.

You're too right there!

I start from the premise if I like a player when I first see him and he turns to shit, I rape him, then have to kiss his erse when he comes good again. Whereas if I start not liking a player I can immediately rape him, but later have to kiss his erse when he comes good. I do get rather sensitive if we drop points. Life is a roller coaster as they stay and the narrative in here at times would bore the tits aff a bull when it comes to criticism of certain players.

There have been a few positive constants. McGregor, Katic, Defoe. Jones has shocked me and Aribo different class. More to come from Ojo. Used to slaughter Alfie but has grown on me over last season and he is now looking fucking awesome. More untapped ability to come from him. Jack and Arfield doing well and Davis a great addition. Andy was my pet hate, now my newest best pal. Love his passion and improved no end under Gerrard, albeit dugshite on Sunday, but we still won 3-0 in horrible conditions. Tav has great ability, but imo it's a bit in hiding at the minute. He has been a great servant. He can and will do better, but until such times I need to rape him for having it but not showing and take all the heat. I can't pick on Andy now can I?! My great logic!

Love Stevie. Can't do much wrong in my book. Overall the team is looking good and just can't see us not taking that title. I'll be more no well than usual If we don't.

Got to say I had a wee chuckle when you picked on Tav for a switch left. Could have written the script. TBH the three we have got in there aren't the best but they will do and I doubt it will be the deciding factor in the title race. The defence had a good record last season and we are stronger this season. We take our chances up front, no cunt is stopping us. Thus far Alfie and Defoe on fire and a few others chipping in. Team game and they will win or lose on that, so win it will be!

BTW, any chance this thread will be at an end before we win the league as you've stirred quite a few?!

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

You're too right there!

I start from the premise if I like a player when I first see him and he turns to shit, I rape him, then have to kiss his erse when he comes good again. Whereas if I start not liking a player I can immediately rape him, but later have to kiss his erse when he comes good. I do get rather sensitive if we drop points. Life is a roller coaster as they stay and the narrative in here at times would bore the tits aff a bull when it comes to criticism of certain players.

There have been a few positive constants. McGregor, Katic, Defoe. Jones has shocked me and Aribo different class. More to come from Ojo. Used to slaughter Alfie but has grown on me over last season and he is now looking fucking awesome. More untapped ability to come from him. Jack and Arfield doing well and Davis a great addition. Andy was my pet hate, now my newest best pal. Love his passion and improved no end under Gerrard, albeit dugshite on Sunday, but we still won 3-0 in horrible conditions. Tav has great ability, but imo it's a bit in hiding at the minute. He has been a great servant. He can and will do better, but until such times I need to rape him for having it but not showing and take all the heat. I can't pick on Andy now can I?! My great logic!

Love Stevie. Can't do much wrong in my book. Overall the team is looking good and just can't see us not taking that title. I'll be more no well than usual If we don't.

Got to say I had a wee chuckle when you picked on Tav for a switch left. Could have written the script. TBH the three we have got in there aren't the best but they will do and I doubt it will be the deciding factor in the title race. The defence had a good record last season and we are stronger this season. We take our chances up front, no cunt is stopping us. Thus far Alfie and Defoe on fire and a few others chipping in. Team game and they will win or lose on that, so win it will be!

BTW, any chance this thread will be at an end before we win the league as you've stirred quite a few?!

Too much raping going in for my liking but I get what you are saying: people (including you and I) are fickle, social media is  such that it has led to an increase in behaviour where people are compelled to instantly react, so you get emotionally driven, black & white responses.

Post something out of the ordinary, unexpected or disagreeable and you’re labelled a ‘cunt’, ‘retard’ or ‘taig’ and yet,  in general, no rational counter point or argument is offered.

Football, and specifically views on players  is very subjective (and tribal). 

I loved Ian Ferguson, I know fellow Rangers fans who never took to him. He was hated by our opponents fans. It’s the nature of the beast. We all have our own take on things.

Unlike yourself (and many others on here) who, by your own admission, loves then hates on loop, I tend to take the pragmatic view: that players  will disappoint at some point but in general they will either be good enough, or not. A minority of poor games doesn’t mean a player is shite. Nor does a couple of good games make them demigods.

Thankfully since the arrival of SG we are gradually building towards not just a first 11 but a squad of players that are good enough.

One individual is not going to win us anything, it is a collective effort and looking at what we have available in terms of personnel I thought there was maybe something in trying the switching of full backs for the possible nett gain of the team.

It wasn’t well received and I’ve spent the entire day or two trying to explain and defend myself when I could easily have ignored the replies or hid in a corner.

Nothing wrong with debating or strongly disagreeing with a point but I don’t see the need for insults, (maybe it’s to bump the number of ‘likes’ up).

If you don’t agree that’s fine but at least explain yourself. Anyone can type ‘twat’ as a response. If that’s all you’ve got to say then why even bother typing it?

I’d much rather be a principled ‘cunt/idiot’ who stuck by what I thought/said and tried explaining myself  than someone who capitulates and scurries off with my tail between my legs at the first insult or *yawn* gif.

Cue predictable  insults and  ‘humorous’ gifs 🙂

47 minutes ago, beararse said:

Too much raping going in for my liking but I get what you are saying: people (including you and I) are fickle, social media is  such that it has led to an increase in behaviour where people are compelled to instantly react, so you get emotionally driven, black & white responses.

Post something out of the ordinary, unexpected or disagreeable and you’re labelled a ‘cunt’, ‘retard’ or ‘taig’ and yet,  in general, no rational counter point or argument is offered.

I loved Ian Ferguson, I know fellow Rangers fans who never took to him. He was hated by our opponents fans. It’s the nature of the beast. We all have our own take on things.

Unlike yourself (and many others on here) who, by your own admission, loves then hates on loop, I tend to take the pragmatic view: that players  will disappoint at some point but in general they will either be good enough, or not. A minority of poor games doesn’t mean a player is shite. Nor does a couple of good games make them demigods.

Thankfully since the arrival of SG we are gradually building towards not just a first 11 but a squad of players that are good enough.

One individual is not going to win us anything, it is a collective effort and looking at what we have available in terms of personnel I thought there was maybe something in trying the switching of full backs for the possible nett gain of the team.

It wasn’t well received and I’ve spent the entire day or two trying to explain and defend myself when I could easily have ignored the replies or hid in a corner.

Nothing wrong with debating or strongly disagreeing with a point but I don’t see the need for insults, (maybe it’s to bump the number of ‘likes’ up).

If you don’t agree that’s fine but at least explain yourself. Anyone can type ‘twat’ as a response. If that’s all you’ve got to say then why even bother typing it?

I’d much rather be a principled ‘cunt/idiot’ who stuck by what I thought/said and tried explaining myself  than someone who capitulates and scurries off with my tail between my legs at the first insult or *yawn* gif.

Your heart is in the right place.

As for Tav, he'd probably be just as good on the left, but would have to play it differently.  

Since becoming captain he has grown into it. He fucking shouts a lot more, like a lot! I think his game has changed a bit and plays a bit safer in passing more, when before he would take on players and glyde past them. Don't know what's best tbh, but there is more to come from him this season. I can see him rising against the scum. A wee goal and he is the top man again.

There is a lot to be said for continuity. He has been a constant and it does help the team, particularly newcomers. It will be a proud monent, the biggest in his career to pick up the league trophy. That day will be monumental for all involved at the club after all the pain of the last seven years.

As for in here, fucking great forum. It can get a bit wierd and wild at times. Need to be a bit thick skinned and still some don't get it when I'm at the wind up or on a strop about fuck all to do with in here. Some just do it because they don't like you from your oosts and get a bit resentful. I can be rather facetious at times. Water off a duck's back. Some seriously good well ballanced posters with great insight. All adds to the colour that is RM.

Wouldn't take any of it too personal mate and stop you posting your view on anything.

:tu:

9 hours ago, beararse said:

No, because one is a striker and one is an attacking midfielder!

Just like I wouldn’t be looking to replace Goldson with Jack.

Dont think I’ve fucked it, and here’s why.

Is left back a problem position? Yes

Is Tavernier a better footballer than Flanagan? Yes.

Is Tavernier a more two footed player than Flanagan? Yes

Is Tavernier more important to Rangers going forward or defending? Going forward

Does Tavernier have to ability to cope and adapt to playing on the left more so than Flanagan? I believe so.

Is Tavernier any less likely to perform his defensive duties as left back? I don’t think so

Is Flanagan a more robust defender than Tavernier? Definitely.

Has Flanagan played the vast majority of games  out of position since signing for Rangers? Yes.

Does Tavernier contribute more in the attacking 2/3rds of the pitch? Yes.

Has Flanagan performed well as right back at Rangers? I’d say so.

You listed 2 games where Flanagan played right back and stated  he was shit in both. Practically the entire Rangers team were shit in both those games.

He has actually played 5 games as right back: in the 4-0 v Ayr, 2-0 win v St Mirren and the 3-3 draw with Motherwell (which, incidentally, was a game where Tavernier lost his man at corners TWICE and they scored on both occasions), as well as the 2 you mentioned but let’s just ignore those games as it doesn’t suit your narrative!

As for the two games you referenced. The Kilmarnock game was the last game of the season and a dead rubber. The Cowdenbeath game wasn’t great but judging him as right back on those two games is a bit harsh. The Cowdenbeath game also had McAuley as Centre Half, and we were 3 up by half time. I would expect having not played the 10 games beforehand might have had an impact on Flanagan’s performance levels. No?

To say Flanagan is a shit left AND right full back  is just nonsense. Gerrard wouldn’t pick him for the all important EL and Old Firm games otherwise. 

Anyway, I happen to believe that Flanagan could contribute more to the team playing right back and that Tavernier would be just as effective as he already is playing left back.

Tavernier is not two footed!!! Never has been since joining us and Flanagan has played more with his left foot than Tav. 

We have 3 Lb in Barisic, Halliday and Flanagan so let's just pick from that and let Tavernier continue to produce on the right like he's doing. 

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CLOSE THIS ABSOLUTE SHIT SHOW OF A THREAD. 

8 hours ago, beararse said:

Mate it's not worth your time all that, surely