Let’s play Tavernier at left back!

beararse

44 minutes ago, TMB said:

You ever notice how Tavernier delivers great balls in to the box from the wide right position and we score lots of goals from them?

Yep. Also noticed he's great at shooting when bending the ball in from right to left.  I'm sure he can cross from the left too if he's a half decent footballer. Ojo and Jones can cross with both feet.

Even if he cant, he could always whip in-swingers from the left.  

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

He's shit at rb why do u think he would be any better at lb???

i'm not. thats the point. i'm pretty certain however that Flanagan would be better at defending the right back position.

Defending for at least one position is improved.

10 minutes ago, beararse said:

Point is he played left back despite being right footed. Germany TRIED him there and it worked. Obviously they felt that this move addressed a weak point at the time.

I thought he only ever played at left back when he was a wean on loan at Stuttgart and hated the position and I believe refused a second loan spell due to being played out not position. Can't recall him playing predominantly as a left back for Germany but must have been about 2006 world cup??? 100% right back tho with dmf as a 2nd position

1 hour ago, beararse said:

EDIT: All I'm getting is the usual  knee jerk insults. Posted elsewhere on this topic a list of right footed left backs so for the hard of thinking i've added them to this post.

Maldini, Lahm, Irwin, Zanetti, Zambrotta, Howedes, Azpilicueta, Breitner, Junior, Brehme...I could go on.

There have been, and are loads of great right footed left backs.

So, why not give it a go?

Crazy, I know but hear me out.

Tav is exceptional at driving forward. He could cut in and shoot across the keeper (eg. that Hibs free kick).

He actually does most of his damage these days tearing through the middle from deep.

He can cut in, create space for one of our many left sided wingers and slide balls from in to out all day long. 

Flanagan is a right back, limited going forward but solid defensively and will surely be more comfortable on the right.

And, before you call me a tit for even suggesting this, consider the right footed players who have excelled as a left back before hitting the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like the daftest suggestion that will appear on Rangersmedia....or is it?

🙂 

AFC52DA1-DF0E-4DCD-BC80-2CA7ACADEA09.gif

13 minutes ago, beararse said:

For the umpteenth time ..... TRY Tav at left back. Might be an unmitigated disaster. 

Also, you can cross with your right foot from the left by the way.

Plus a lot of Tav's assist come from going through the middle, it's not always a cross from the wing.

You see Tav numerous times breaking forward and striking a right footed shot across the goal keepers left with little success (the last EL game was a prime example). Put him on the other side and he's bending those into the top corner rather than  dragging them high and wide or weakly at the goal keeper.

Which is why I said he would need to cut back onto his right foot every time he wanted to cross it.  After the few times he does this the opposing team will just show him down the line. 

I think you'll find the majority of his assists are from crosses wide on the right. 

Again.....ridiculous idea and as I stated if it was a possibility I'm sure the gaffer would have done so in training rather than a match. 

Aye lets move him from his totally effective role, where he provides a bunch of assists, and fire him in an unfamiliar position so we can slate him when he makes inevitable mistakes.

Silly idea.  We have an RB who is the best in his position in the country, we should not be shoehorning him in elsewhere.