Katic

MisterC

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I actually think that Goldson is looking better than he was last season, alongside a more mature Katic.

If these 2 get the time form a proper partnership over 10-15 games then I think we've got a solid foundation there.

However makes the Helander deal seem even more mental

Could also be argued that signing Helander has made Katic more competitive and is fighting for his place. Always a good thing, especially if Katic continues to improve like this. Not that I want him to leave, but if he ever does, he'll be more valuable.  So maybe it's shrewd investment! :pipe: 

8 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Could also be argued that signing Helander has made Katic more competitive and is fighting for his place. Always a good thing, especially if Katic continues to improve like this. Not that I want him to leave, but if he ever does, he'll be more valuable.  So maybe it's shrewd investment! :pipe: 

You may be right.

I actually thoightGoldson was the weaker of the 2 going into this season but Stevie seems to favour/trust him more.

I had the fear that Goldson would be 1st pick and an other from the 3, with Katic fighting it out.

He's been superb and although I'd agree Goldson wasn't great tonight, so far this season he's upped his level in terms of composure and making things look far easier than he did last season.

Still early days but it's looking good!

20 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Different class, should not be the centre back at risk of being dropped 

I don't think he is at risk of being dropped tbh, I think it will be him and Goldson as the trusted partnership this season except when Gerrard decides to rotate.

We all expected him to be dropped for Helander when he signed but I think over the course of the season we'll learn that he has been a waste of money. Not because he's not a good player but simply because he's not really needed.

2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I don't think he is at risk of being dropped tbh, I think it will be him and Goldson as the trusted partnership this season except when Gerrard decides to rotate.

We all expected him to be dropped for Helander when he signed but I think over the course of the season we'll learn that he has been a waste of money. Not because he's not a good player but simply because he's not really needed.

Think/Hope you’ll be proven right, Goldson still a bit crazy on the ball at times for my liking but they’ve got a track record of getting the job done together that we shouldn’t mess with again 

Given our plight at left back the now it seems crazy we spent that money on Helander even if he is a very good player 

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

You may be right.

I actually thoightGoldson was the weaker of the 2 going into this season but Stevie seems to favour/trust him more.

I had the fear that Goldson would be 1st pick and an other from the 3, with Katic fighting it out.

He's been superb and although I'd agree Goldson wasn't great tonight, so far this season he's upped his level in terms of composure and making things look far easier than he did last season.

Still early days but it's looking good!

I think it's clear all the players have upped their game this season.  Not sure what the exact reason is......but SG & his team have done wonders in pre season. We just look a far more technical team this season.....passing has improved greatly. For my money though, Jack and Katic are the ones who have improved the most. I do think that's down to the incredible competition for places. 

Agree about Goldson...he's nowhere near as solid as Katic, but his game has improved since last season.