Katic

MisterC

It's easy to compare Katic to Goldson and say one is better than the other, i.e. Katic has more strength, athletiscism, heading ability, the spirit of youth, whereas Goldson has the composure, the experience, an ability to read the game, and leadership qualities. 

Maybe best to say they complement each other and may have the potential to be a very reliable centre back combination ?

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Was a myth.

He was unfairly dropped for the 1st league game away to Villarreal...the whole chop and change thing done him no favours whatsoever and it affected his form.....I hope I'm wrong but we could see something similar this season again if we win next week

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Katic is a good young player still prone to the odd error. he is getting better every week but Goldson has experience and composure the young man is yet to fully develop. I love the partnership and would rather not compare.

Different styles. Katic attacks everything in the air and Goldson plays more as a sweeper.

Also Katic is more error prone at this time. Young player still needing to develop.

Both play very well together and no reason to change as it currently stands as far as I’m concerned.

There will be injuries and suspensions over the course of the season hence the signings of Helander and Edmundson, although it is fair to assume that Helander was intended as a starter, fortunately the form of Katic has probably caught Gerrard off guard but has also allowed him the time to let Helander get up to speed and not been rushed into playing him before he was ready, but he is now in the pleasant position of having a CH in Katic who is undroppable.

I bet Helander must be thinking "WTF I thought I was going to be starting, here I go again ".

3 hours ago, Denton said:

Different styles. Katic attacks everything in the air and Goldson plays more as a sweeper.

Also Katic is more error prone at this time. Young player still needing to develop.

Both play very well together and no reason to change as it currently stands as far as I’m concerned.

That’s a myth! Goldson makes just as many mistakes as Katic. Tonight for instance he messed up a few times and Katic had to bail him out.

Luckily for us neither of them make that many mistakes in the grand scheme of things.

2 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

That’s a myth! Goldson makes just as many mistakes as Katic. Tonight for instance he messed up a few times and Katic had to bail him out.

Luckily for us neither of them make that many mistakes in the grand scheme of things.

Thought Niko was better tonight 

56 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Thought Niko was better tonight 

Katic has made a big say in being one of two first picks and on this form we cannot drop him, makes me wonder why did we pay, for us, a big sum for Helander, makes no sense overall, keep Katic and Goldson but buy in a relatively big purchase in the same position and we already  brought in cover?🙄😜🙄

We have four very good CHs all who are pretty young for the position. 

Helander gets all the headlines because of the fee paid for him but Edmondson is a very handy player as well. 

Its a very interesting problem to have and I am not sure we have ever been so well endowed with Centre halves? It always seems to have been a position where the first choice pairing was obvious and we had one solid back up and a youth player. We have 4 very strong first team players and Gerrard has a job keeping them all happy

16 hours ago, MisterC said:

Big man was superb tonight, man of the match for me. Bossed it at the back, solid in the air at both ends. As was said in commentary hes come back this season looking way more assured than he was before. We have a great player in the making there, here's hoping he keeps this good form going

Agreed - Flannigan did really well tonight as well as did David but Katie stood out. 

err Thanks to @siddiqi_drinker I would like to add that Flanagan,  Davis and Katic also had good games. 

8 hours ago, hammer93 said:

He was unfairly dropped for the 1st league game away to Villarreal...the whole chop and change thing done him no favours whatsoever and it affected his form.....I hope I'm wrong but we could see something similar this season again if we win next week

Katic was subbed at half-time in the 7-1 win against Motherwell on 11th November after getting rag dolled by Bowman leading to their goal scored by Main. He wasn't even in the squad for the next 6 games against, Livingston, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee., Hamilton, Hibs.  

Then was on the bench against  St. Johnstone, Hibs (where he replaced the injured Goldson on the 60th minute) celtic, and Kilmarnock. He returned to the team against Livingston and St. Mirren, than was back on the bench against Aberdeen, St. Johnstone, Hamilton, Dundee, Hibs.

He returned again to the side against Kilmarnock,  then dropped again against celtic and Hearts.  Back in the team against Motherwell, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, celtic, and released early for the final game against Kilmarnock.

In Europe, Katic played  every minute of our eight qualifiers for the Europa League but in the group stages was dumped to the bench against Villarreal and Rapid Vienna; brought back against Spartak Moscow in our 4-3 defeat,  then wasn't even in the 18 man squad to play in the home tie to Villarreal, but was an unused sub in the final match against Rapid Vienna.

I often wonder if his dropping from the Group stages games had anything to do with his loss of form that coincided with him being hooked at half-time in that 7-1 victory against Motherwell? Whether it had or not, the young kid had a massive confidence loss, so all credit to Niko for bouncing back and proving to our manager and coaching staff that he never gives up.:bow:

11 hours ago, tannerall said:

It's easy to compare Katic to Goldson and say one is better than the other, i.e. Katic has more strength, athletiscism, heading ability, the spirit of youth, whereas Goldson has the composure, the experience, an ability to read the game, and leadership qualities. 

Maybe best to say they complement each other and may have the potential to be a very reliable centre back combination ?

Almost like a budget version of Vidic & Ferdinand. :lol: