Katic

MisterC

9 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Katic was subbed at half-time in the 7-1 win against Motherwell on 11th November after getting rag dolled by Bowman leading to their goal scored by Main. He wasn't even in the squad for the next 6 games against, Livingston, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee., Hamilton, Hibs.  

Then was on the bench against  St. Johnstone, Hibs (where he replaced the injured Goldson on the 60th minute) celtic, and Kilmarnock. He returned to the team against Livingston and St. Mirren, than was back on the bench against Aberdeen, St. Johnstone, Hamilton, Dundee, Hibs.

He returned again to the side against Kilmarnock,  then dropped again against celtic and Hearts.  Back in the team against Motherwell, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, celtic, and released early for the final game against Kilmarnock.

In Europe, Katic played  every minute of our eight qualifiers for the Europa League but in the group stages was dumped to the bench against Villarreal and Rapid Vienna; brought back against Spartak Moscow in our 4-3 defeat,  then wasn't even in the 18 man squad to play in the home tie to Villarreal, but was an unused sub in the final match against Rapid Vienna.

I often wonder if his dropping from the Group stages games had anything to do with his loss of form that coincided with him being hooked at half-time in that 7-1 victory against Motherwell? Whether it had or not, the young kid had a massive confidence loss, so all credit to Niko for bouncing back and proving to our manager and coaching staff that he never gives up.:bow:

You certainly done your homework on that one bud👍

18 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

If we don’t make millions of pounds further down the line for Katic then we are doing something seriously wrong. He’s every bit as good as Ajer & McKenna and we know what their respective clubs value them at.

3 good seasons and he goes for 20mill+ 

12 hours ago, MisterC said:

Big man was superb tonight, man of the match for me. Bossed it at the back, solid in the air at both ends. As was said in commentary hes come back this season looking way more assured than he was before. We have a great player in the making there, here's hoping he keeps this good form going

He would be my first choice centre back,. We need a good look at the new boy and if he is a class act then I would drop Goldson before Katic for him.   

Been one of my fav players since he arrived, could never understand why he was out the team as his sheer aggression in the air is fantastic. 

38 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

You certainly done your homework on that one bud👍

It's the ex-manager coming out in me, I guess, hammer. For me we dropped early season points against  Aberdeen (Morelos red carded after 12mins) because of terrible refereeing by Clancy.

We dropped points in the 3-3 draw with Motherwell, caused by a slip from Goldson,  naivety from Gerrard by changing the shape of the team and then making a substitution in the 94th minute when we were defending a corner. We then got beaten 1-0  by the tarriers at the piggery when we were robbed when fourth official John Beaton told referee Willie Collum that Ryan Jack was fouled by Tom Rogic in the build-up, but he disregarded the advice; but basically we were going ok until the Katic/Goldson partnership was broken up against Livingstone when Worrall took the spot from Katic and we lost.

From that moment on, we never looked the same defensively as far as I was concerned and certainly Katic suffered.

I'd like to see Helander replace Goldson once he is fully fit. I really like Goldson and Katic as our CB pairing but Goldson seems to have a mistake in him every game these days and it would allow us to move Katic back to RCB given he is naturally right-footed

I'd like to see Goldson dropped for a few games to sort himself out / see what level Helander is at 

Gerrard is hurting Katic's value by dropping him and publically criticising him often when he makes one mistake. In many press conferences or post match interviews when asked about him he always says something like "yeah I thought he was very good today, he made a couple of mistakes but he's a young lad" etc etc when he barely makes any mistakes. He seems to always bring up negatives about him. 

He should be coming out and saying stuff like he's absolutely immense and one of the best young CBs in British football etc. That way the headline on the back pages the next day will be those quotes. Even if you don't think it's true (I'm starting to think it is to a certain degree) then it doesn't matter, make that the narrative. Katic is a fantastic player and we need to start putting that out there.