Why doesnt Gerrard like subs!

berkshirebear

Can think of literally no reason to not make the Jones for Ojo sub after 70 mins. Ojo had put a shift in but had run his race. Wasn’t offering anything going forward and looked the most likely to cost a goal with his tracking back.

Gerrard has done a cracking job for us but his passive attitude to substitutions is a massive flaw imo 

3 minutes ago, SasaPapacLoyal said:

Can think of literally no reason to not make the Jones for Ojo sub after 70 mins. Ojo had put a shift in but had run his race. Wasn’t offering anything going forward and looked the most likely to cost a goal with his tracking back.

Gerrard has done a cracking job for us but his passive attitude to substitutions is a massive flaw imo 

Are you saying Gerrard never makes subs at 60 min by calling him passive? Because if you are, you are 100% wrong. He decided tonight wasn't the night and to me, it worked !

His hesitation to make subs has cost us already last season, the cup game against the Sheep he waited until they had scored then threw on a couple of subs with about 5 minutes to go which isn't much time to make an impact.

He needs to be proactive with his changes rather than reactive, like others have said Ojo should have been off after about 65/70 he was done and one passage of play around that time he dribbled off the side of the park looking absolutely fucked, also thought Kamara should have been brought on for Davis as he also fell out of the game.

He’s no Warburton that’s for sure, 60 minute mark every game dean shiels and Nicky law came on almost without fail.

Gerrard clearly didn’t want to rock the boat and listen if we were 1-0 down ojo would have been off at the 65/70 minute mark if not earlier. We were coping with what they were throwing our way and we weren’t desperate for a goal to the extent where we were willing to risk losing a goal.

When he did make the subs however I can’t fathom why ojo wasn’t off then.

24 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Are you saying Gerrard never makes subs at 60 min by calling him passive? Because if you are, you are 100% wrong. He decided tonight wasn't the night and to me, it worked !

I don’t care what minute it is in the game but tonight isn’t the first time he hadn’t made a sub when it’s been obvious to everyone else it needs to be made. Fortunately it hadn’t cost us yet but it’s a matter of time.

Tbf not just Gerrard but I struggle to remember a Rangers manager who consistently made a difference with subs 

3 minutes ago, SasaPapacLoyal said:

I don’t care what minute it is in the game but tonight isn’t the first time he hadn’t made a sub when it’s been obvious to everyone else it needs to be made. Fortunately it hadn’t cost us yet but it’s a matter of time.

Tbf not just Gerrard but I struggle to remember a Rangers manager who consistently made a difference with subs 

People seem to think is is a given or automatic to make subs. It is not.

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

No even getting into it. But the pace of the game made it hard to sub people on. Think both arfield and ojo needed it but can see why he didn't

Your threads have been suspect to say the least 

Ojo was crying out to be replaced and Jones should have been his replacement.  A fresh pacy winger could have caused them a lot of bother and given us a bit more impetus.   

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

People seem to think is is a given or automatic to make subs. It is not.

IMO a lot of managers just make knee jerk panic reaction substitutions hoping and praying for something magical to happen. Sometimes they seem to do it just for the sake of being seen to do something. I don't think much thought goes into it (with the exception of some elite managers). They're just hoping someone, anyone can create that spark. Sometimes it works. Most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes it takes a bit of balls for a manager to give the players on the park time to work it out for themselves and managers very rarely get praised for sticking with players who then go onto score or create something.

It's easy to make a change. However the reality is all manager starts with who they believe are their best 11. They therefore have to trust and believe in their players. That may not come until the 90th minute so even if they are playing poorly some managers stick with them as they know they have that extra bit of quality. Sometimes though it's just not their day and they need subbed. It's a fine balancing act. If it goes wrong though the manager will always take the blame. Personally I would have brought on Jones but I can see why Gerrard didn't. 

11 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Ojo was crying out to be replaced and Jones should have been his replacement.  A fresh pacy winger could have caused them a lot of bother and given us a bit more impetus.   

He was fucked mate I said that. Jones should have come on. But Gerrard obviously had other ideas maybe Sunday in mind?

1 hour ago, berkshirebear said:

Not sure 0-0 is such a great result with the away goals rule to be honest. 

0-0 it's just like it's 0-1 to them

Or so someone said earlier.

We win next week we go through. We draw 0-0 we're on penalties. We're at home with a big noisey crowd backing us. We're in a good position.

Too much doom and gloom coming from too many. I hope none of you will be at the return leg.

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

He was fucked mate I said that. Jones should have come on. But Gerrard obviously had other ideas maybe Sunday in mind?

Making a sub  not long after they had brought one or two on can take some of the sting out of the game and reduce the effect of their subs.  Gives them something to ponder and gives us a bit of an impact with fresh legs and pace.  

41 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Easily could have played 15-20 minutes and still be good for Sunday so I doubt it. 

Not sure what the reasoning was but Ojo was obviously fucked. I thought that the whole reason behind having 2 players for each position was so we could mix it up.

Decent enough result but not making that subscription seems bizarre.

Some amount of wee fights on here tonight we should be looking at booking a cricket ground :lol:

With regards to the Jones for Ojo argument, I can understand Gerrard's reason for leaving Ojo on, Jones is a good out ball option but until he starts scoring a couple of goals I'm happier with Ojo, Jones is dangerous when we have bodies attacking the box but tonight the only support he would have had in the last 20mins or so would have been Morelos as Arfield had also ran his race by then, whereas if Ojo were to have gotten that one opportunity I'd back him to have the composure to take the chance long before Jones, and as for Ojo being out on his feet he still managed to get us a free kick in the far corner of the legia goal line in the last couple of minutes,, that showed he still had a bit left in the tank.

5 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

With regards to the Jones for Ojo argument, I can understand Gerrard's reason for leaving Ojo on, Jones is a good out ball option but until he starts scoring a couple of goals I'm happier with Ojo, Jones is dangerous when we have bodies attacking the box but tonight the only support he would have had in the last 20mins or so would have been Morelos as Arfield had also ran his race by then, whereas if Ojo were to have gotten that one opportunity I'd back him to have the composure to take the chance long before Jones, and as for Ojo being out on his feet he still managed to get us a free kick in the far corner of the legia goal line in the last couple of minutes,, that showed he still had a bit left in the tank.

Their fullback was on a yellow and jones running at him could easily have drawn a cheap foul to take him out and they’d have been off. Ojo wasn’t able to do that in the last 20 minutes. Im sure Gerrard has his reasons however I think there were more benefits of having jones on for the last 20 than ojo,.

Just now, NeoGeo7 said:

Their fullback was on a yellow and jones running at him could easily have drawn a cheap foul to take him out and they’d have been off. Ojo wasn’t able to do that in the last 20 minutes. Im sure Gerrard has his reasons however I think there were more benefits of having jones on for the last 20 than ojo,.

I do get the Jones argument, of course it's a valid one, but if we could have sneaked an away goal near the end I would have backed it being Alfredo or Ojo .

2 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

Not criticising Ojo, I'm having a wee moan about Gerrard lack of subs costing us in numerous games, and his apparent lack of learning from these games. 

When has it cost us in numerous games? You are assuming that a sub coming on will make a difference but it can have the opposite effect,I thought when jack went off in Euro game last week Rangers fell completely out of the game and lost a stupid goal . Why not wait until we actually lose a game this season and then come on and moan.

3 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

Score draw and we're out. Not saying its a bad result but don't think Ojo is so indespensible that we couldn't have given Jones a go (especially with his recent form) Best form of defence being attack and all that!! 

That's a futile argument at best...the bheasts came home with a 1-1 the other week and we saw how that panned out....our task is simple go and win a home leg against a decent but average side to make the group stages