Why doesnt Gerrard like subs!

berkshirebear

4 hours ago, King Jela said:

Meh. He was clearly happy with a 0-0 draw to take back to Ibrox. I’m glad he’s got the confidence in his squad to feel he can do that but the sub thing has irked me in the past. We know what we need to do next week though and we’re in a good position to do so. 

👍

Correct mate .... this game was only the first half .... and we came out of it with flying colours with no serious defects or injuries .... next week we have to go for the jugular and I think we have the beating of Legia and we will progress to the group stages.

:UK:

4 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

Because I want the club to maximise our potential?? 

Love keyboard warriors like you who claim everyone is suspect when they voice an opinion..

Just ignore him mate. He is just a hardman behind a screen, he doesn't even go to games so I heard, also shat it when @Mr Soprano asked to meet him for a square go.

I don’t understand why the OP is being criticised for what is a legitimate question. 

I would love to hear Gerard’s explanation for this is and if we had decent journalists in this country I would like them to ask him that question. 

Maybe he has a good answer but it is fast becoming a managerial trait of his that he doesn’t make subs when it seems obvious that certain players are flagging and he makes subs too late when the game needs changed. 

He has my full confidence and I don’t think it has cost us significantly but equally I don’t believe he should be beyond question and I would love to hear his insights on this approach

7 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

Not sure 0-0 is such a great result with the away goals rule to be honest. 

Inclined to agree. Had we been at home first and drew 0-0 I would have still thought we would have an excellent chance of scoring away from home. While I.m confident of winning at Ibrox we have to be very cautious and cannot go all guns blazing and get caught with a sucker punch 

Subs aren't compulsory. Also, he usually makes them so to say he doesn't is nonsensical.  Subs Morelos and Defoe most matches for a start. 

Any player being subbed on last night would have taken a while to get into the fast pace of the game and it could have cost us.  

I am happy with SG"s team selection and tactics last night. Would have preferred to score an away goal but I think we will turn them over at Ibrox. 

Thought Ojo was dying on his feet and Arfield just wasn't in it and Aldie having little luck. We were being over ran in midfield and a goal would have been good. Well so you'd think.

I would have got Jones and Defoe on for a better outlet sacrificing Alfie and Ojo  at and Kamara on for Arfield, but managers do tend to be more conservative and try to see it out with what they've got out there. Walter was murder with subs in not using them until the last few minutes . Think they just see it differently. Stevie was obviously ok with taking a 0-0  back to Ibrox.

Easy to moan about the use of subs or not, but it's all a risk. If they had come on earlier doors and we lost a goal, he would have got slaughtered. The right or wrong of it will be proven in the return leg in whether we win or not.

I thought we needed subs last night and was annoyed when they didn't happen , 

Last season against rapid was the same though and he didn't change it and we get the 2 late goals , so can understand sometimes why they (manager's) dont and trust they have the team and tactics right 

14 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Rangers media football manager 

Hope Mr Gerrard is looking in, could learn a thing g or two from the experts on here. 

This Forum would be hell of a boring if we can't question any decisions made by Gerrard!!  Gerarrd  hasn't won anything yet so not such we can't question some of his decisions as if he's the second coming of Jose Mourinho!!! 

Tbf both sides made quite late subs last night, so I'd imagine both managers were happy with the shape etc of their sides and maybe became concerned with losing a vital goal.

Personally I was thinking Jones would've came on but we came away from Poland with a clean sheet and a win at Ibrox sees us through 

2 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

This Forum would be hell of a boring if we can't question any decisions made by Gerrard!!  Gerarrd  hasn't won anything yet so not such we can't question some of his decisions as if he's the second coming of Jose Mourinho!!! 

Question away mate doesn’t mean you’re right.  

I’m happy with the result and performance. Sets us up nicely for a cracking night next Thursday. 

I noticed in one of our previous games Ojo looked done and was looking for jones to come on. If we bring on jones it doesnt change shape or play stype we would have pacey winger to use as an outball and help push us up the pitch in games like that. Since this is the second time this has happened to Ojo I was wondering if Gerrard is keeping him on the pitch so that he has to dig deep in games rather than sub him with 20 mins to go. It could just be a  way to build that mentality in Ojo.

4 minutes ago, Jamie1387 said:

I noticed in one of our previous games Ojo looked done and was looking for jones to come on. If we bring on jones it doesnt change shape or play stype we would have pacey winger to use as an outball and help push us up the pitch in games like that. Since this is the second time this has happened to Ojo I was wondering if Gerrard is keeping him on the pitch so that he has to dig deep in games rather than sub him with 20 mins to go. It could just be a  way to build that mentality in Ojo.

He did it a lot last year as well though. I reckon he's just being cautious but sometimes think this has cost us in games.

Tbf I don't think it's just  Gerrard as others have pointed out, Walter Smith was very similar and it used to drive me nuts then aswell especially in the Uefa cup final when I  think we didn't really go for it enough! 

18 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

He did it a lot last year as well though. I reckon he's just being cautious but sometimes think this has cost us in games.

Tbf I don't think it's just  Gerrard as others have pointed out, Walter Smith was very similar and it used to drive me nuts then aswell especially in the Uefa cup final when I  think we didn't really go for it enough! 

That’s the problem though Smith did that at Ibrox and didn’t concede away goals and hoped to snatch something in the return leg.

Away goals are so crucial these days. I still think we’ll do it but I don’t think an away 0-0 is as good sometimes as it’s made out to be.

Tbf to the OP I thought Jones pace and directness would have been a better option going forward but I think Gerrard has more trust in Ojo getting back to defend than Jones and at 70 mins it looked like Gerrard thought yep 0-0 we’ll take that all day.

its a good result away from home in Europe don’t know why ppl are getting their knickers in a twist tbh.

back to fortress Ibrox and show these poles a proper ‘hostile’ crowd.

Tbf to the OP I thought Jones pace and directness would have been a better option going forward but I think Gerrard has more trust in Ojo getting back to defend than Jones and at 70 mins it looked like Gerrard thought yep 0-0 we’ll take that all day.

its a good result away from home in Europe don’t know why ppl are getting their knickers in a twist tbh.

1 minute ago, HuistraHairDo said:

In a group stage it would be but in a knockout tie it’s not really. Away goals are crucial and we didn’t get one even though we could have if Gerrard didn’t settle for the result at 70-75 minutes. If Warsaw score early next week then we face an uphill task to qualify and we will have nobody to blame but ourselves if we find ourselves in that scenario.

Poor last night from Gerrard should have subbed ealier as players were clearly struggling, Ojo still had bags of enegy but Morelos was done from 60 minutes on that should have been noticed from Gerrard and he should have made a change.

26 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

What games last year?

Of course you are entitled to post asking about subs and to an extent i can agree we needed fresh legs last night but the way you are going about it feels slightly anti-Gerrard 3 games or so into the season.