UEFA have set tone for Rangers, time for SFA and SPFL to follow suit

OceanRain

8 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I think we all know why the fenian is in there. It's still nothing to do with Catholicism. Is it truly hard to believe Rangers fans sing fenian bastards towards a club who sing songs glorifying the provisional IRA, who demand British soldiers go on home, have they got no fucking homes of their own? Who sing songs glorifying the murder of innocent British troops? 

I was meaning most Rangers fans sing it meaning celtic fans, they use the word fenians as that's basically what they are. They call themselves unrepentant fenian bastards, why not just unrepentant Catholic bastard's if that was the case?

It's fucking ridiculous, the battle is lost though and it's never going to be won now 

Every Fenian is 100% of a catholic religion 

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Because religious belief is, like people's skin colour, ethnic origin or disability,  a protected category under anti-discrimination laws. Supporting a football team isn't. UEFA, like most other bodies have taken their lead from there.

That's fine and dandy, but we don't sing about killing Catholics. 

Just now, ronniescu said:

I've had a think. Surely Chelsea, Man City, Crewe, etc. were amateurs compared to celtic, who would be able to boast about more perpetrators, more victims, more cover-ups & more denials. 

Man city had over 100 victims I think mate 

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

That's fine and dandy, but we don't sing about killing Catholics. 

That's very much the perception however. We can go on and on that folk don't mean catholics when they sing fenians but the simple fact is, that's how it's perceived. When folk label all sorts as fenians then it goes beyond just meaning celtic fans. And folk that try to claim they are singing about the Fenian Brotherhood are either that stupid to know how utterly fucking stupid that sounds or think the rest of the world is stupid enough to believe it.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

That's very much the perception however. We can go on and on that folk don't mean catholics when they sing fenians but the simple fact is, that's how it's perceived. When folk label all sorts as fenians then it goes beyond just meaning celtic fans. And folk that try to claim they are singing about the Fenian Brotherhood are either that stupid to know how utterly fucking stupid that sounds or think the rest of the world is stupid enough to believe it.

So they can have banners up with the word fenian in it, yet we sing about Fenians and get hung for it? 

It's nonsense. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

So they can have banners up with the word fenian in it, yet we sing about Fenians and get hung for it? 

It's nonsense. 

Comparing apples and oranges here. Their banner was in a domestic game so is exclusively down the the SFA and SPFL to act. UEFA have no jurisdiction to punish clubs for banners flown in domestic fixtures. Had they flown it in a CL qualifier then it would've been different

15 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Every Fenian is 100% of a catholic religion 

Not really. Most fenian I know are that thick they go on about being catholic etc but dont even believe in God or certainly dont go to chapel every Sunday.  As every Catholic is supposed to do. 

29 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I think we all know why the fenian is in there. It's still nothing to do with Catholicism. Is it truly hard to believe Rangers fans sing fenian bastards towards a club who sing songs glorifying the provisional IRA, who demand British soldiers go on home, have they got no fucking homes of their own? Who sing songs glorifying the murder of innocent British troops? 

I was meaning most Rangers fans sing it meaning celtic fans, they use the word fenians as that's basically what they are. They call themselves unrepentant fenian bastards, why not just unrepentant Catholic bastard's if that was the case?

It's fucking ridiculous, the battle is lost though and it's never going to be won now 

When it comes to those, yeah you're totally right. But we've seen fenian used to describe folk well outside of that definition. I've regulary read Chris Sutton described as a fenian bastard, where has he shown any support for the provos etc?

They call themselves unrepentant fenians because it plays into their wee kiddy on terrorist fantasy. Some of them (and some on our side too) think we're still in the Troubles despite them living in a Glasgow cooncil scheme.

The battle was lost a long, long time ago. I don't know why folk are surprised that it's still lost now.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

When it comes to those, yeah you're totally right. But we've seen fenian used to describe folk well outside of that definition. I've regulary read Chris Sutton described as a fenian bastard, where has he shown any support for the provos etc?

They call themselves unrepentant fenians because it plays into their wee kiddy on terrorist fantasy. Some of them (and some on our side too) think we're still in the Troubles despite them living in a Glasgow cooncil scheme.

The battle was lost a long, long time ago. I don't know why folk are surprised that it's still lost now.

But then Chris Sutton isn't Catholic is he? He played for the taigs and it's kinda showing what I'm getting at, no?

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

But then Chris Sutton isn't Catholic is he? He played for the taigs and it's kinda showing what I'm getting at, no?

Not really no, it shows just how vague the definition of fenian is now. He's certainly not "glorifying the provisional IRA, who demand British soldiers go on home" and "glorifying the murder of innocent British troops" so that rules that out. No idea what religion he is but the perception goes a long way too. When you start labelling everyone you don't like as a fenian, it gets really difficult to then argue it only really means a particularly narrow group.

They make the EXACT same argument for H**. "it's not protestant, it's Rangers fans" as they sing it to a stadium full of Hearts fans.

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

No not really.

Fenian is thrown as a generic insult by many as anything to do with celtic/catholics.

Calling the whole celtic support 'fenian bastards'.

Calling Chirs Sutton a fenian bastard. I doubt we will find any evidence of his feelings on Irish Nationalism.

Calling catholic schools, fenian schools etc.

Combine this with the FTP (clearly anti catholic) add ons etc, and its fairly obvious what the intent is.

I cant help but feel that people are just trying to justify the stance with semantics. It is obvious that the term 'fenian' is used as an insult to a irish catholic by many. The word is now off limits.

16 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Not really. Most fenian I know are that thick they go on about being catholic etc but dont even believe in God or certainly dont go to chapel every Sunday.  As every Catholic is supposed to do. 

You know members of the Irish republican brotherhood?

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

No not really.

Fenian is thrown as a generic insult by many as anything to do with celtic/catholics.

Calling the whole celtic support 'fenian bastards'.

Calling Chirs Sutton a fenian bastard. I doubt we will find any evidence of his feelings on Irish Nationalism.

Calling catholic schools, fenian schools etc.

Combine this with the FTP (clearly anti catholic) add ons etc, and its fairly obvious what the intent is.

I cant help but feel that people are just trying to justify the stance with semantics. It is obvious that the term 'fenian' is used as an insult to a irish catholic by many. The word is now off limits.

They can’t help themselves mitre. It’s fucking unbelievable 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not really no, it shows just how vague the definition of fenian is now. He's certainly not "glorifying the provisional IRA, who demand British soldiers go on home" and "glorifying the murder of innocent British troops" so that rules that out. No idea what religion he is but the perception goes a long way too. When you start labelling everyone you don't like as a fenian, it gets really difficult to then argue it only really means a particularly narrow group.

They make the EXACT same argument for H**. "it's not protestant, it's Rangers fans" as they sing it to a stadium full of Hearts fans.

But it does show. If it's being used against non Catholics then why would it mean Catholic?

It's always really just been another name for celtic fans/republicans. There were Protestant republicans so it's kinda hard to say it means Catholic flat out. They've done well in changing the meaning.

Tbf kinda daft calling sutton a Fenian anyway but there yae go

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

They can’t help themselves mitre. It’s fucking unbelievable 

When the celtic fans call Neil McCann (a catholic) an 'Orange Bastard', it is a sectarian attack.

Just because Neil McCann is a catholic, and they know this, does not prove that they are not being sectarian.

They are deliberately using a known sectarian insult.

Exactly the same as calling Chris Sutton a 'Fenian Bastard'.