Marshall email

falkirkNS

I don't see the correlation between being a Protestant/unionist/staunch and having to sing about fenians. You can live by ethics were instilled in you by your upbringing, background and beliefs without expressing them with that nonsense. If you can't that's on you. 

Just now, govanblue said:

but you could try correcting the perception.

a fenian is not a catholic. fenianism is about politics not religion.

You're not going to change the perception when a large number of people continue to use it incorrectly and use it to mean the thing you insist it doesn't. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You'll defend others' right to deliberately harm Rangers? 

as always, you're not getting it.  the deliberate harm is not coming from the singers, but from the accusers. and it will continue and increase, whether we stop singing about fenians or not.

2 minutes ago, govanblue said:

I don't sing anything at Ibrox.  I'm a non-singer.

I will defend others rights to sing it though.

I fucking hate fenians. They killed my pals.

Sorry about your pals, but does not make it acceptable to sing these songs in Ibrox.

Someone might have had a friend killed by a black guy, does not justify singing KKK songs in Ibrox.

When the term Fenian is used to describe things like 'catholic schools' then the term has changed, as depicted in the dictionary.

Fenian is now a sectarian term, its a fact, says it right there in the dictionary.

If you are angry at this, then it is the fault of the people who literally used it incorrectly so much that the dictionary actually changed!

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Sorry about your pals, but does not make it acceptable to sing these songs in Ibrox.

Someone might have had a friend killed by a black guy, does not justify singing KKK songs in Ibrox.

When the term Fenian is used to describe things like 'catholic schools' then the term has changed, as depicted in the dictionary.

Fenian is now a sectarian term, its a fact, says it right there in the dictionary.

If you are angry at this, then it is the fault of the people who literally used it incorrectly so much that the dictionary actually changed!

You've really swallowed the propaganda with this 

I guarantee the ones that complain about this all the time aren't in the slightest bit offended 

15 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

you have almost hit upon the crux of the matter, though accidentally.

I have NEVER heard the term "a fenian school" in my entire life,

If it says that in the dictionary then it's not because everybody is saying that,  it's because the fenians have made it say that.  Only a handful of influencers create our reality.  It was always so , and even more so today when non-entities can become important using the internet. 

It says on the internet that we sing the Billy Boys in tribute to Billy Fullerton.  This is a complete fabrication.  We were named Billy Boys (also Hillbillies) by Americans when we settled in  Appalachia.  American troops then told us this when they visited us in 1944, and gave us "Marching through Georgia" at the same time and a classic was born.

Does that make more sense than "100,000 ordinary citizens celebrate the crimes of a barely know random unimportant thug to a little known American Big Band tune?  

But sadly, those who knew that didn't bother to write it down, so a fenian got in and spread a lie which grew unchallenged.

Fucking fenians! :angrywillie:

27 minutes ago, govanblue said:

but you could try correcting the perception.

a fenian is not a catholic. fenianism is about politics not religion.

Maybe if we stop singing ‘fuck the Pope’ we might get some leeway singing about killing Fenians.

Thats not going to happen tho’. It’s songs  of hate they are cracking down on. In order to do so they have to quantify that with words: racism, sectarianism etc. 

Racism is fairly easy to quantify. Sectarianism is trickier. If you sing songs of hate and chant ‘fuck the Pope’ they, quite rightly IMO,  get lumped together under the same banner as the intent is there.  It’s called guilt by association. Few are going to sing one and not the other.

And there is no point wheeling out the ‘ah, but they call themselves Fenians’ argument.

Jews call themselves Jews but you sing ‘death to all Jews’ you’re in trouble and assumed to be Nazi, even if you dont hold their beliefs.

An easy way to sort all this out is to ask yourself: would you randomly shout ‘fuck the Pope’ or’ we are up to our knees in Fenians blood’ at your work or at a wedding for example?

If not, why not? Because it’s socially unacceptable? Because you know deep down you’d look like bit of a tit? Because you’d get fired or asked to leave?

43 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Of course.

But - what if that killer was an extreme Black Rights Activist and mainstream Black Rights activists started publicly singing songs praising his actions? Would we be right to criticise them?

Not so black and white now, eh? :p:

7 minutes ago, govanblue said:

Of course.

But - what if that killer was an extreme Black Rights Activist and mainstream Black Rights activists started publicly singing songs praising his actions? Would we be right to criticise them?

Not so black and white now, eh? :p:

Here an idea. Let’s sing songs about our football club.

Nothing you have mentioned relates directly to Rangers Football Club,  does it? It relates to a social group who have aligned themselves with Rangers.

Unless I’m missing something.

5 minutes ago, beararse said:

Here an idea. Let’s sing songs about our football club.

Nothing you have mentioned relates directly to Rangers Football Club,  does it? It relates to a social group who have aligned themselves with Rangers.

Unless I’m missing something.

almost.

It relates to a social group which made (and makes) Rangers the club they are, rather than just another run of the mill small city team.

No point trying to pretend otherwise.

1 hour ago, govanblue said:

as always, you're not getting it.  the deliberate harm is not coming from the singers, but from the accusers. and it will continue and increase, whether we stop singing about fenians or not.

Utter, paranoid, drivel

8 minutes ago, govanblue said:

fare enough

Fair....

By the way, I happen to think and occasionally say ‘Fenians this, Fenians that ’, ‘FTP’ etc...but I am socially aware enough to know that it is not viewed as acceptable and will damage the club if I shout or sing either, so I keep it to myself and/or privately within like minded individuals.

17 minutes ago, beararse said:

Fair....

By the way, I happen to think and occasionally say ‘Fenians this, Fenians that ’, ‘FTP’ etc...but I am socially aware enough to know that it is not viewed as acceptable and will damage the club if I shout or sing either, so I keep it to myself and/or privately within like minded individuals.

Did I just hear Rule Britannia being booed? 

I guess that will be next on the hate crime list then.

2 minutes ago, govanblue said:

Did I just hear Rule Britannia being booed? 

I guess that will be next on the hate crime list then.

It won’t, that’s just plain silly.

The only thing that should be banned is ‘fuck the Pope’ as it is definely sectarian in nature.

That’s it.

But UEFA have a bee in their bonnet regarding ‘fenian’ songs. Fans frothing at the mouth isn’t going to change their stance so abide by their rules for the betterment of the club.

6 minutes ago, beararse said:

It won’t, that’s just plain silly.

The only thing that should be banned is ‘fuck the Pope’ as it is definely sectarian in nature.

That’s it.

But UEFA have a bee in their bonnet regarding ‘fenian’ songs. Fans frothing at the mouth isn’t going to change their stance so abide by their rules for the betterment of the club.

I would be tempted to argue that fuck the pope is also completely justified, based upon his influence and edicts, and the effect they have on humanity, whereas fuck the followers of the pope is not.  but that's a different debate altogether.

UEFA do not have a bee in their bonnet.  UEFA don't even know what fenian means.  UEFA are being played by those handful of influencers I mentioned in my paranoid rantings earlier.  Those influencers are not motivated to eradicate sectarianism, but to eradicate Rangers.

8 minutes ago, govanblue said:

I would be tempted to argue that fuck the pope is also completely justified, based upon his influence and edicts, and the effect they have on humanity, whereas fuck the followers of the pope is not.  but that's a different debate altogether.

UEFA do not have a bee in their bonnet.  UEFA don't even know what fenian means.  UEFA are being played by those handful of influencers I mentioned in my paranoid rantings earlier.  Those influencers are not motivated to eradicate sectarianism, but to eradicate Rangers.

What has the Pope’s influence and edicts  and their effect on humanity, perceived or otherwise, got to do with Glagow Rangers?