Timing of the statement

dee9

Just now, The Dude said:

It wasn't them singing about fenians.

The overwhelming opinion of the support,the minute the first charge was released, was that it had to stop. The support accepted what needed to be done & made efforts to fix it, which I am 100% will be highlighted tomorrow night. 

So no, it wasn't the board singing about fenians! They did let it happen however. Considering they are there to protect the best interests of the club, I would say they are accountable for us  receiving a second charge. 

3 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

The overwhelming opinion of the support,the minute the first charge was released, was that it had to stop. The support accepted what needed to be done & made efforts to fix it, which I am 100% will be highlighted tomorrow night. 

So no, it wasn't the board singing about fenians! They did let it happen however. Considering they are there to protect the best interests of the club, I would say they are accountable for us  receiving a second charge. 

They didnt. They've been telling us not to since (at least) 2006. In the week prior to the Legia game they launched a whole inclusivity initiative. What else you wanting? Big banners saying 'DON'T SING ABOUT FENIANS' hanging from the roof of each stand?

Another point about the timing of this statement. The draw for the EL group stage takes place on Friday (i think) if the club remained quiet until UEFA made a decision (which the club appears to think will be an away ban), if we qualify, fans would book travel etc and then potentially have to cancel.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

They didnt. They've been telling us not to since (at least) 2006. In the week prior to the Legia game they launched a whole inclusivity initiative. What else you wanting? Big banners saying 'DON'T SING ABOUT FENIANS' hanging from the roof of each stand?

Yes we did! Almost every RSC & supporters group had messages out about how regardless of our arguements as to wether the charges were fair or not, it was never going to be a fight we can win, which was accepted by the vast majority of our support! If it wasn't, you would have heard all sorts being sung on Sunday! 

What else do I want? I want to be informed that UEFA had charged us before racking up a second charge! Where's the transparency in that? 

Honestly, if you believe the board hasn't done anything wrong here you should get yourself a gig at C1872 writing their statements! Exactly the type of puppet they require! 

Just now, scottyc06 said:

Yes we did! Almost every RSC & supporters group had messages out about how regardless of our arguements as to wether the charges were fair or not, it was never going to be a fight we can win, which was accepted by the vast majority of our support! If it wasn't, you would have heard all sorts being sung on Sunday! 

What else do I want? I want to be informed that UEFA had charged us before racking up a second charge! Where's the transparency in that? 

Honestly, if you believe the board hasn't done anything wrong here you should get yourself a gig at C1872 writing their statements! Exactly the type of puppet they require! 

When we landed the first charge, the club tried to fight against it. Putting a statement out telling fans to stop singing about fenians while they insisted we don't sing about fenians would be utterly self-defeating. Putting THIS statement out is more about trying to a) curry favour with UEFA ahead of what looks (imo) to be an inevitable stadium closure and b) not put fans in a position where they book travel after Friday's group stage draw only to be forced to cancel it further down the line.

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

In 2006 most UB's were under ten years auld. There has been no transparency from the board or UEFA along the way.  These kids may or may not have been aware of the ramifications of their guilt but it certainly wasn't drummed into them. 

Anybody else think that the delay by the club after the first charge was so they could get the 'Everyone, Anyone' initiative off the ground.

Step 10 in UEFA's 10 point action plan for clubs to combat racism....

10. Work with all other groups and agencies, such as the players
union, supporters, schools, voluntary organisations, youth
clubs, sponsors, local authorities, local businesses and police,
to develop pro-active programmes and make progress to raise
awareness of campaigning to eliminate racial abuse and
discrimination.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

In 2006 most UB's were under ten years auld. There has been no transparency from the board or UEFA along the way.  These kids may or may not have been aware of the ramifications of their guilt but it certainly wasn't drummed into them. 

I was only a couple of years old when celtic fans threw bananas at Mark Walters. I didn't then need to throw bananas at Bobo Balde when I was a teenager to realise there would be repercussions.

Just now, Weird_Beard said:

Anybody else think that the delay by the club after the first charge was so they could get the 'Everyone, Anyone' initiative off the ground.

discrimination.

No, but the launch was apparently brought forward by the charge.

1 minute ago, Weird_Beard said:

discrimination.

I think it may have played into it.

I think the club probably launched it quickly to try and placate Uefa, not that it helped in the end.

Which is why I think there is a good chance that Ibrox will be shut down in our next home game regardless of our gesture of refusing away tickets.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

When we landed the first charge, the club tried to fight against it. Putting a statement out telling fans to stop singing about fenians while they insisted we don't sing about fenians would be utterly self-defeating. Putting THIS statement out is more about trying to a) curry favour with UEFA ahead of what looks (imo) to be an inevitable stadium closure and b) not put fans in a position where they book travel after Friday's group stage draw only to be forced to cancel it further down the line.

Notification of the charge isn't an acceptance of guilt! 

I fully agree the timing is right of this statement. However come across as being a lot about self preservation/playing the blame game rather than looking out for the fans best interests! They could have mentioned not booking travel etc instead of naming BF1 as the only reason we were pulled up in the first place! 

1 minute ago, scottyc06 said:

Notification of the charge isn't an acceptance of guilt! 

I fully agree the timing is right of this statement. However come across as being a lot about self preservation/playing the blame game rather than looking out for the fans best interests! They could have mentioned not booking travel etc instead of naming BF1 as the only reason we were pulled up in the first place! 

Why would they notify us of a charge then? What would be the point of it?

They can hardly say they are trying to manipulate UEFA's disciplinary system in a statement designed to manipulate UEFA's discipinary system

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I think it may have played into it.

I think the club probably launched it quickly to try and placate Uefa, not that it helped in the end.

Which is why I think there is a good chance that Ibrox will be shut down in our next home game regardless of our gesture of refusing away tickets.

They have changed their rules this year, that the club can "invite free of charge children up to the age of 14 from schools or football academies to attend matches to be played behind closed doors". So although, still not great for the real fan, I don't think the stadiums will be completely empty. But the atmosphere will be dreadful for sure and I don't see 50,000 u14's turning up on a Thursday night. 

Just now, Weird_Beard said:

They have changed their rules this year, that the club can "invite free of charge children up to the age of 14 from schools or football academies to attend matches to be played behind closed doors". So although, still not great for the real fan, I don't think the stadiums will be completely empty. But the atmosphere will be dreadful for sure and I don't see 50,000 u14's turning up on a Thursday night. 

Angus%20Young%2001%20600.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Why would they notify us of a charge then? What would be the point of it?

They can hardly say they are trying to manipulate UEFA's disciplinary system in a statement designed to manipulate UEFA's discipinary system

Well for a start, they promised transparency! 

And maybe the obvious reason of warning the fans of what was happening, why it was happening & what the possible outcomes could have been would then work as a detterant to stop such songs being belted out & us jumping straight to a second charge without warning! 

2006/2011 can't really be classed as a warning to the current issues, 8-13  years later!  

2 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Well for a start, they promised transparency! 

And maybe the obvious reason of warning the fans of what was happening, why it was happening & what the possible outcomes could have been would then work as a detterant to stop such songs being belted out & us jumping straight to a second charge without warning! 

2006/2011 can't really be classed as a warning to the current issues, 8-13  years later!  

They can be classed as a warning because it's the exact same bloody thing.

2006 - Don't sing about fenians

2011 - Don't sing about fenians

2019 - Don't sing about fenians.

I mean ffs. We were told not to sing TBB. Then folk said that was  made up because they'd 'not seen the letter'. It's perfectly transparent what we can and can't sing.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean ffs. We were told not to sing TBB. Then folk said that was  made up because they'd 'not seen the letter'. It's perfectly transparent what we can and can't sing.

I mean, evidently not. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ok, the board done everything they could to protect the support & the best interests of Rangers Football Club! 

Seriously, have you spoken to someone at C1872 about doing some work for them? You would be perfect!! 

1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

There are dark forces at work here.

While we were a joke on the pitch, we could have offered up a human sacrifice at half time and nobody would have given a fuck. Now every time someone farts, it gets reported to UEFA.

As our on field recovery nears completion, another means of attack is needed and our enemies are clearly very resourceful.

I have no doubt that if we sang “Jesus wants me for a sunbeam”, we’d be reported for excluding Muslims.

We need to fight fire with fire. Grassing is against our nature but it is clearly effective. 

To paraphrase the saying, “when at war with Romans, do as Romans do”

Your last 2 sentences are spot on, been saying this for the last 5 years. I laugh when our fans says the scum are obsessed with us

their obsessed the right way, reporting us for everything to the tv,papers, UEFA spl, while we sit on our arses and do nothing

about reporting them, 

2 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Ok, the board done everything they could to protect the support & the best interests of Rangers Football Club! 

Seriously, have you spoken to someone at C1872 about doing some work for them? You would be perfect!! 

Certainly not. But they've made it abundantly clear that we can't sing certain songs.

52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was only a couple of years old when celtic fans threw bananas at Mark Walters. I didn't then need to throw bananas at Bobo Balde when I was a teenager to realise there would be repercussions.

Aye because throwing bananas at black people and singing songs about fenians are the same thing.