Ryan Kent

BLUEDIGNITY

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

We only play one at time. 

No decent out and out striker is going to come knowing he will be lucky to play 10 games a season. 

I still think its a big gamble just relying on these 2 though.    I don't think Defoe has it in him nowadays to do 90 min shifts even every other week and that's before the risks of injury or loss of form.    And Morelos is still (imo) to prove on a consistent basis that he's lost his misfortune to keep being sent off or booked.   That's also before any risk of injury or loss of form.   

If one or the other is injured or loses form or is suspended then the workload - and responsibility to continue getting goals - on the other looks to me to be awesome.    And very risky.   We'll see how the season pans out.     Tellingly, for the time they were each on the pitch neither were able to get a goal yesterday in a vital game.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

You're a hard man to please.

Not to worry, apparently we're getting Salah on loan.

Yes another striker would be appreciated, but who knows what goes on in the head of a football manager?! Look at how we set up yesterday!

The Kent move is a significant statement. He is by no means the finished article, but does have plenty ability and of the right mentailty and last by no means least, Stevie would need to set us up differently, as in attack!

Don't get me wrong.  I'd be delighted if Kent reappears at Rangers this season, even if it does take him some weeks /months to get to match fitness and to make the contribution we all hope he can make.

The lack of a 3rd good quality striker just seems to me to be a risky move when Morelos is still to prove beyond doubt he's shaken off his 'red card' tag, and Defoe is 36 (albeit a very fit 36).     Risks of injury, loss of form, suspension to one or both could, it seems to me, potentially cripple any prospect of winning trophies this season.  When its added to the list of strikers who have departed either permanently or on loan that seems to me to magnify the risk.  

We can only wait and see how the season pans out with what might yet be an over-dependence on Morelos and Defoe staying fit, on form, and free from suspensions.  

The other thing is, with all the record ST cash and European run last season I'm not convinced that enough money wasn't there to get a reasonable quality developing striker in.  Someone who can learn from Morelos and Defoe bearing in mind Defoe's loan period ends at the end of the season so at least one new striker is going to be needed at that time.    A season to acclimatize might have been beneficial to the Club in the longer term and to a player...…..a bit like Katic perhaps. 

6 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Don't get me wrong.  I'd be delighted if Kent reappears at Rangers this season, even if it does take him some weeks /months to get to match fitness and to make the contribution we all hope he can make.

The lack of a 3rd good quality striker just seems to me to be a risky move when Morelos is still to prove beyond doubt he's shaken off his 'red card' tag, and Defoe is 36 (albeit a very fit 36).     Risks of injury, loss of form, suspension to one or both could, it seems to me, potentially cripple any prospect of winning trophies this season.  When its added to the list of strikers who have departed either permanently or on loan that seems to me to magnify the risk.  

We can only wait and see how the season pans out with what might yet be an over-dependence on Morelos and Defoe staying fit, on form, and free from suspensions.  

The other thing is, with all the record ST cash and European run last season I'm not convinced that enough money wasn't there to get a reasonable quality developing striker in.  Someone who can learn from Morelos and Defoe bearing in mind Defoe's loan period ends at the end of the season so at least one new striker is going to be needed at that time.    A season to acclimatize might have been beneficial to the Club in the longer term and to a player...…..a bit like Katic perhaps. 

Amazes me people want a 3rd striker. So if Defoe and Morelos are both free to play whats his use?

Greg Stewart is the 3rd no.9 option which hopefully we never have to rely on. A 3rd striker only makes sense if we play 2 up top.

23 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

I still think its a big gamble just relying on these 2 though.    I don't think Defoe has it in him nowadays to do 90 min shifts even every other week and that's before the risks of injury or loss of form.    And Morelos is still (imo) to prove on a consistent basis that he's lost his misfortune to keep being sent off or booked.   That's also before any risk of injury or loss of form.   

If one or the other is injured or loses form or is suspended then the workload - and responsibility to continue getting goals - on the other looks to me to be awesome.    And very risky.   We'll see how the season pans out.     Tellingly, for the time they were each on the pitch neither were able to get a goal yesterday in a vital game.  

I agree with all that mate. 

Still doesn’t help the fact 3 into 1 is hard to work. 

11 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Delighted but seems to be a panic buy with the timing. Should have been our priority this year. If he was in earlier we may not have bloated our sqaud with Stewart, Barker etc.

Get the feeling this transfer was based on us getting Europa league money again. 

22 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Delighted but seems to be a panic buy with the timing. Should have been our priority this year. If he was in earlier we may not have bloated our sqaud with Stewart, Barker etc.

A panic buy? Are you kidding me? Have you seen the transfer thread?

Archived