Hastie confirmed to Rotherham

Ferris Bueller

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Never understood this signing.

Ridiculous comment. 

Whether it works out or not Turnbull and Hastie were the hottest properties in Scottish football at the end of last season and picking up one of them on a free was a complete no-brainer.

Just now, Creampuff said:

Ridiculous comment. 

Whether it works out or not Turnbull and Hastie were the hottest properties in Scottish football at the end of last season and picking up one of them on a free was a complete no-brainer.

I watched him shoot from six yards out in pre-season and put it ten yards wide! We already had Stewart & Jones and Middleton was still around. We all knew there was a great chance Kent would return. We didn't need him and I think he is rotten and today (again) he rides the bench for a Div 1 side in England.

We passed on Dorrans, we passed on Arfield, we passed on Mcarthur.

Can't think off the top of my head but I'm sure there were plenty more "best of the rest" that we passed on that went on to do well in the English Championship and/or Premiership.

We could have got them for peanuts and then punted them on for the inflated fees English clubs pay for decent Scottish players.

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I watched him shoot from six yards out in pre-season and put it ten yards wide! We already had Stewart & Jones and Middleton was still around. We all knew there was a great chance Kent would return. We didn't need him and I think he is rotten and today (again) he rides the bench for a Div 1 side in England.

Even if all of that is true and he isn’t good enough, the total value of his contract will likely be under £2m. 

Once you factor in wages paid by other clubs during loan spells, and loan fees, even if he’s astonishingly poor for the next 3 years we’ll probably be talking losing a few hundred grand. Given the potential upside that’s a pretty small gamble.

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

Even if all of that is true and he isn’t good enough, the total value of his contract will likely be under £2m. 

Once you factor in wages paid by other clubs during loan spells, and loan fees, even if he’s astonishingly poor for the next 3 years we’ll probably be talking losing a few hundred grand. Given the potential upside that’s a pretty small gamble.

I get what your are saying. I wasn't really looking at it from a financial side but more to do with ability. We have five other players on the books at that position. Kent, Jones, Barker, Middleton & McPake (not including Stewart). And then there will be Kai Kennedy to come. All of which I would consider ahead of him. He is still young so time will tell.

34 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I get what your are saying. I wasn't really looking at it from a financial side but more to do with ability. We have five other players on the books at that position. Kent, Jones, Barker, Middleton & McPake (not including Stewart). And then there will be Kai Kennedy to come. All of which I would consider ahead of him. He is still young so time will tell.

I think the jury is still out on Hastie but how can he be criticised for “riding the bench” yet McPake and Middleton get a free ride and you consider ahead of him?

Hastie has at least shown he can score goals at SPFL level but I think we will struggle to get him involved this season unless it was as a back up to Alfie and Defoe, not a wide option.

6 minutes ago, ayro said:

I think the jury is still out on Hastie but how can he be criticised for “riding the bench” yet McPake and Middleton get a free ride and you consider ahead of him?

Hastie has at least shown he can score goals at SPFL level but I think we will struggle to get him involved this season unless it was as a back up to Alfie and Defoe, not a wide option.

Strange as I thought he was bought as an option off the right as an inside forward as he is strong on his left foot and had an eye for a goal. Also wasn't afraid of shooting from distance as he showed at Motherwell with some cracking goals from distance.

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

This is mental

He's 20 years old and had only played like 65 games when he joined us. He may well be utter pish and never make it with us but you've come to that conclusion on the back of a 60 min performance in a comfortable win? 

That's crazy

A lad that had just turned 20 written off after one game.  It’s mental on here.  

1 hour ago, teddybear1975 said:

Strange as I thought he was bought as an option off the right as an inside forward as he is strong on his left foot and had an eye for a goal. Also wasn't afraid of shooting from distance as he showed at Motherwell with some cracking goals from distance.

The highlights I seen from him at Motherwell are exactly that, due to him being quite big physically I think he would offer a different option from the bench but I do think our squad is too large so maybe another 6 months on loan would help him.

11 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Bullshit.....even a 1 legged man wouldn't be able to kick the ball 10yrds wide from 6yrds....you would need to be totally facing away from the goal to even attempt it....if you don't rate the lad then that's fair enough but don't make shite up to suit your agenda is garage 

5 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Bullshit.....even a 1 legged man wouldn't be able to kick the ball 10yrds wide from 6yrds....you would need to be totally facing away from the goal to even attempt it....if you don't rate the lad then that's fair enough but don't make shite up to suit your agenda is garage 

It was the first friendly against Oxford. I don't think he really got a look after that game (maybe). I have nothing against Hastie or any of our players for that matter. I just don't think he is good enough for Rangers. 

5 hours ago, bluenoz said:

It was the first friendly against Oxford. I don't think he really got a look after that game (maybe). I have nothing against Hastie or any of our players for that matter. I just don't think he is good enough for Rangers. 

Likewise. 

Just isn’t on the same level as our current squad. 

On 04/01/2020 at 13:17, psb07158 said:

This is mental

He's 20 years old and had only played like 65 games when he joined us. He may well be utter pish and never make it with us but you've come to that conclusion on the back of a 60 min performance in a comfortable win? 

That's crazy

Not really. 

Either have ‘it’ to play for Rangers or you don’t. Don’t think he does. Happy to be wrong. 

Where is everyone getting all of the footage of him playing that they are basing their decision that he is shite from?

How do you decide whether he has "got it" to play for Rangers or not?

I'm pleased our back room staff don't pay any attention to the stuff that's posted on here :pipe:

On 04/01/2020 at 14:11, bluenoz said:

Kent and Jones aside... What makes any of the others 'ahead' of Hastie.

Barker - has looked poor and is 23. Not sure he will be here for long, however has only played around 70 first team games thus far in his career.  (Less than Hastie who is 20) Maybe needs more game time, just not sure he will get it here. 

Middleton - has shown glimpses, but looks to lack that killer pass/cross/finish. Still early days for him, but it didn't work at hibs, needs another loan, yet to show he is able to make it in the senior game.

Mcpake - prospect, but not worked out at Dundee. Again got to show he can make the step up from youth football.

Kennedy - lots of hype, not signed a new deal though and very much doubt we are going to give him many first team minutes with a year left on his deal after this season. Also unproven ouwith youth football.

Hastie - 20 year old, already played nearly 100 games in senior football. In his spell with Motherwell he had a short spell where he looked like one of their better players (7 goals in 15 games) still has a lot to do, doesn't seem like current move has worked (like Middleton and mcpake)

Interested to know why you think the above are ahead of Hastie?

Archived