Holt

ForeverAndEver

Jason Holt admits it was a tough call to cut short his Rangerscareer.

But after spending last season on loan at Fleetwood Town, the midfielder knew it was time-up at Ibrox.

And he leapt at the chance of a season-long loan with St Johnstone as the deadline-day clock counted down.
“It’s a wrench to leave Rangers, of course it is,” admitted the 26-year-old.
“It’s a big club, a special club but in football you have to think about your career and move on sometimes.”
Holt was lured from Hearts five years ago and clocked-up more than 100 appearances for Rangers before Steven Gerrard replaced Mark Warburton in the hot seat.
“It’s just one of those things. When a new manager arrives it can be like a revolving door.
“I decided to go out on loan last season to play games and then when I came back, the team there had come on leaps and bounds.
“So there wasn’t a place for me. I wasn’t in the plans and you have to move on.
“It’s a tough decision to make because you never want to leave a club of that size – but you have to think about the bigger picture.

“I want to be part of a squad, training every day with something at the end of it.
“And I want to be part of a dressing-room again. So coming here was the best move for me.
“I had a great time at Rangers. I had a great relationship with the fans there.
“The first couple of years were great. I like to think I made a contribution there when I played and I’ll look back fondly on it.
“But it was time to move on, I’m focused on St Johnstone now and helping this club.”