Just how much did we get for Billy Gilmour???

mclovin9091

Long article but decent article and can't seem to be able to select it all to paste.

I get that lots of players get touted as "the next XXXX player" but the fact we let him go and he has now made his debut for Chelsea suggests we made a big mistake, considering Rossiter hasn't exactly gone to plan.

Key Sentence I noticed was "Chelsea eventually won the race, completing the deal on his 16th birthday in June of that year as they paid what Goal understands to be a record fee for a player of his age."

So just how much did we get for him because by my reckoning "Goal" must be incorrect.

https://www.goal.com/en-ke/amp/news/billy-gilmour-inside-the-rise-of-chelsea-and-scotlands-new/1wjg5pl8jnznw17twvg3xbs7xq

6 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

I get that lots of players get touted as "the next XXXX player" but the fact we let him go and he has now made his debut for Chelsea suggests we made a big mistake, considering Rossiter hasn't exactly gone to plan.

You are making it sound like we let him go by choice, which is not the case at all.

2 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Hey, we want to buy that 15 year old, how much?

£5m

Okay, paypal fine?

Yeah

I thought there were rules in place so pre 16 year olds couldn't be traded, they aint even on proper contracts at that age and they have to reside within 90 mins of the club they play for...…. however, appears I am wrong on all that

12 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

“Additional payments due on the attainment of specific career milestones” according to sky when he signed for Chelsea.

aye knowing us we get 10k when he makes his 500th appearance and 25k when he scores his 1000th goal for them, not forgetting the 100k bonus when he wins the balon d'or.

£500k if I remember right but it certainly wasn't a case of us 'letting him go'. I know we have taken advantage of cross border rules but the Gilmour situation really winds me up. The game is rigged from a TV money perspective and we have no hope in hell of competing with English clubs financially. The only alternative is for us to develop our own youngsters and as soon as we have one with real potential he is taken away for peanuts before we have a chance to even play him or take any meaningful financial benefit.

23 minutes ago, thehost said:

I thought there were rules in place so pre 16 year olds couldn't be traded, they aint even on proper contracts at that age and they have to reside within 90 mins of the club they play for...…. however, appears I am wrong on all that

Its Uefa, money talks

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

You are making it sound like we let him go by choice, which is not the case at all.

We actually offered better terms than Chelsea (he was limited what he could earn in his first year there as an 'apprentice') with one or two folk suggesting at the time we offered as much as 6k p/w to him.

35 minutes ago, middli said:

£500k if I remember right but it certainly wasn't a case of us 'letting him go'. I know we have taken advantage of cross border rules but the Gilmour situation really winds me up. The game is rigged from a TV money perspective and we have no hope in hell of competing with English clubs financially. The only alternative is for us to develop our own youngsters and as soon as we have one with real potential he is taken away for peanuts before we have a chance to even play him or take any meaningful financial benefit.

Finances weren't really a part in it. He wanted to go work under guys like Conte and play for a PL club.

9 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Fucksake

I'd have given him it in a heartbeat if he'd signed a long-term deal. Less than half a million quid a year for a player that we still managed to make half a million quid on without ever kicking a ball for the first-team?

I've said for a couple of years now that (barring injury etc) Gilmour has the ability to be the best player ever to come out of this country. Better than Baxter, better than Johnstone, better than Dalglish. Had he stayed, he'd have had a few seasons of first-team football under his belt now and would be going for big money.

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'd have given him it in a heartbeat if he'd signed a long-term deal. Less than half a million quid a year for a player that we still managed to make half a million quid on without ever kicking a ball for the first-team?

I've said for a couple of years now that (barring injury etc) Gilmour has the ability to be the best player ever to come out of this country. Better than Baxter, better than Johnstone, better than Dalglish. Had he stayed, he'd have had a few seasons of first-team football under his belt now and would be going for big money.

Best player ever?? Not seen much him of him but what makes you say that? 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Finances weren't really a part in it. He wanted to go work under guys like Conte and play for a PL club.

I didn't say finances were a factor for Gilmour. Simply that we lost him before the club could benefit from a contribution on the field and then the sort of transfer fee we could have commanded for him once we was a bit older.