Just how much did we get for Billy Gilmour???

mclovin9091

9 minutes ago, middli said:

I didn't say finances were a factor for Gilmour. Simply that we lost him before the club could benefit from a contribution on the field and then the sort of transfer fee we could have commanded for him once we was a bit older.

Just with you saying we have 'no hope in hell' to compete financially which isn't always true. I agree on the fee we could've got though. I've made no secret of how highly I rate him.

Ah ok. What I was trying to say was we cant bid with PL clubs for established players in the transfer market because they operate in a different stratosphere. Answer is we develop our own. However as soon as we do develop one they swoop in and take him for £500k before he even has a chance to play for us. So frustrating.

1 minute ago, middli said:

Ah ok. What I was trying to say was we cant bid with PL clubs for established players in the transfer market because they operate in a different stratosphere. Answer is we develop our own. However as soon as we do develop one they swoop in and take him for £500k before he even has a chance to play for us. So frustrating.

We need to be buying them in at 18 and selling at 20/21.

Some guy called Robin Hack scored a hat trick for Germany under 21s on monday and was sold for £400k in the summer.  Them stats dont seem to be too bad for a gamble on taking and selling on in two years.

3 minutes ago, middli said:

That’s the rub, previously we’d get a season or two out of them before they inevitably move on to a bigger league.

11 minutes ago, middli said:

Tbh, that's just the nature of the beast and how we've operated to smaller clubs for years. Although there seems to be a shift now where young guys are more open to going to 'smaller' clubs for first-team football rather than throwing their lot in with a big team's academy.

6 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Yes I read that after posting, that’s a surprise given he wasn’t contracted to us. Not sure how that works, but I’ll take your word for it.

He was contracted to us. FIFA's transfer statutes still apply to players on youth contracts and Chelsea would've been on the hook for potentially more in a one-off payment had they just waited for his deal to actually end then sign him. We'd have been making the argument that we were entitled to more than the standard training compensation as Gilmour is an 'exceptional' talent. Chelsea also wanted to make a show of being seen to act in good faith towards a club when signing junior players as this was around the time of the investigation into their improper conduct when siging young players that led to the current transfer ban.

No need to take my word for it. The club itself confirmed it when announcing Gilmour had agreed to join Chelsea.

https://Rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/club-statement-76/

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I'd have given him it in a heartbeat if he'd signed a long-term deal. Less than half a million quid a year for a player that we still managed to make half a million quid on without ever kicking a ball for the first-team?

I've said for a couple of years now that (barring injury etc) Gilmour has the ability to be the best player ever to come out of this country. Better than Baxter, better than Johnstone, better than Dalglish. Had he stayed, he'd have had a few seasons of first-team football under his belt now and would be going for big money.

:lol: 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd have given him it in a heartbeat if he'd signed a long-term deal. Less than half a million quid a year for a player that we still managed to make half a million quid on without ever kicking a ball for the first-team?

I've said for a couple of years now that (barring injury etc) Gilmour has the ability to be the best player ever to come out of this country. Better than Baxter, better than Johnstone, better than Dalglish. Had he stayed, he'd have had a few seasons of first-team football under his belt now and would be going for big money.

I meant more “fucksake” at the thought of a 16 year old boy being on £6,000-per-week even though his wage at Chelsea will no doubt dwarf that.

Just now, Essandoh said:

I meant more “fucksake” at the thought of a 16 year old boy being on £6,000-per-week even though his wage at Chelsea will no doubt dwarf that.

First season there he was capped at something like £750 p/w but from what I was told at the time he would go up to about £7/8k p/w after a year. There is always other perks thrown in to get around the cap though. Wouldnt be surprised if his new deal is 15/20k p/w. 

Just now, The Dude said:

First season there he was capped at something like £750 p/w but from what I was told at the time he would go up to about £7/8k p/w after a year. There is always other perks thrown in to get around the cap though. Wouldnt be surprised if his new deal is 15/20k p/w. 

I’d be 6 feet under if I was making that money at that age. You really do wonder how closely clubs monitor the financial management of young boys like him on astronomical wages.

I do remember reading that his parents have their head screwed on with his cash though.

13 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

I’d be 6 feet under if I was making that money at that age. You really do wonder how closely clubs monitor the financial management of young boys like him on astronomical wages.

I do remember reading that his parents have their head screwed on with his cash though.

I'd be no far off it. Christ, even at 32, my parents have been warned that if I ever win the lottery then there's a real chance I'd just go mental with it and blow it all on coke and hoors.

Clubs are getting better at it, especially now that boys  are making proper life-changing money in their teens.

From my own interactions with Billy he seems to be a really mature young guy anyway. Always came across really well every time I seen him and can't think of anyone that's ever said anything other than he's a well-adjusted kid. I've only ever really spoken to his mum and can't think of ever seeing his dad (although tbh his maw stood out a bit more at games than his da would). That's all part of why I think he can go on and do so well. He really seems to have that extra something you need to go from being good to being REALLY good. I've only ever known personally a couple who had a similar trait and one of those is an olympic silver medalist.