Ojo

KingKirk

I hate to say this but he's got so much potential.

Races past defenders easily and has scored some great goals but misses a lot, stands around too much, and his awareness needs to be better when Morelos is running into the box.  He had a couple of chances to shoot tonight where he wanted to wait and wait, and ended up with nothing. If he can just get mobile for the entire game, be more intelligent with his penalty box runs and play in a teammate quicker then he'll do ok. Big ask but he might just do it.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is very raw but has the ingredients to do really well. Pace to burn, good feet and can finish (not tonight obviously!).

However the pleasing thing for me was he kept running at them, he kept creating chances himself and was causing them huge problems. Just a wee bit more composure. It's easy to criticise, and he will be criticised (understandably so) but our best player Morelos is guilty of rash shooting and non passing even now. The Important thing for me is he's a threat. 

The obvious comparison is Kent last season. There is an argument he's produced more than Kent did at this stage. He's still young. He's still learning. Like all wide men/attacking players they will be very hit and miss. We'll be tearing our hair out like tonight sometimes and we'll be going mental like Feyenoord sometimes. It's not going to be an easy ride but I reckon there will be more highs than lows with Ojo.

The thing that gets me is sometimes he busts a gut running past players, and even putting in tackles, then other times he shits out of 50/50s and would rather make a three yard backward pass than run past a player. Frustrating.

I hope he is a quick learner. All he has to do to win us over is give us his all,  and convince us he is actually trying 😂

Just now, BlueThunder said:

The thing that gets me is sometimes he busts a gut running past players, and even putting in tackles, them other times he shits out of 50/50s and would rather make a three yard pass than run past a player. Frustrating.

All of that happened tonight again :tu:

5 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

He is very raw but has the ingredients to do really well. Pace to burn, good feet and can finish (not tonight obviously!).

However the pleasing thing for me was he kept running at them, he kept creating chances himself and was causing them huge problems. Just a wee bit more composure. It's easy to criticise, and he will be criticised (understandably so) but our best player Morelos is guilty of rash shooting and non passing even now. The Important thing for me is he's a threat. 

The obvious comparison is Kent last season. There is an argument he's produced more than Kent did at this stage. He's still young. He's still learning. Like all wide men/attacking players they will be very hit and miss. We'll be tearing our hair out like tonight sometimes and we'll be going mental like Feyenoord sometimes. It's not going to be an easy ride but I reckon there will be more highs than lows with Ojo.

Maybe when the ingredients blend he might then get a start, but until such times he should not be starting.

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

Maybe when the ingredients blend he might then get a start, but until such times he should not be starting.

That's a fair point. I think the issue just now is we don't have Kent, Jones, Middleton or Hastie. If we had more options I don't know if he would have played as often.

Otherwise it's Arfield, Barker and Stewart? I can see why Ojo is favoured.

3 minutes ago, bluebell82 said:

If Ojo was the finished article he wouldn't be with us on loan simple as that. I personally like him, he's direct, pacey and is not afriad to have a shot. I think he'll easy hit double figures in goals this season.

That's it in a nutshell mate he is not a finished article. I thought he caused a lot of issues and he was getting the better of the full back. 

It's his decision making that was poor tonight. That will improve I reckon as he gets more games under his belt. 

I'm coming around on him. He's our top assister and our highest goalscorer other than Morelos and Defoe. He will get big numbers this season. He is inconsistent but exciting. He will either give the ball away or ping one in top corner and honestly he's the only player in the team who looks capable of scoring from outside the box. He was very direct today and went on at least 2 great runs. I think once Kent is back on the LW there will be enough players in the squad who are will "play well", I think it's a good thing to also have Ojo in there who's capable of getting that goal or assist out of nothing. 

Actually thought his involvement and general play was better than it has been in a number of games. End product was really poor in terms of finishing and a simple square ball to Morelos.

I appreciate hes young and lacking experience, but if we're going to have him as this luxury player who doesn't do much to defend / assist midfield and is all about the final third then he simply needs to do better.

Scored a lovely goal against Feyenoord but we can’t afford to stick with a player who’s decision making is so poor. 
He might turn out to be decent but we don’t have time to fuck about. Floats in and out of games and takes the wrong option too often.
He’s a back up player from the bench at the very most. He’s not good enough to start continually.

He’ll end up lower end of the English Championship 

1 hour ago, JograBear said:

He has had plenty of games to learn to make better decisions. He is 22 ffs. 

Ryan Kent at this stage last year was getting dubbed as a glorified showpony by the majority of the support and we have just signed him for 7m.

Give him time, it's only September.

Archived