Ricksen passed away

Escobar

1 hour ago, Sooty & Stevens said:

Real sad day for a true fighter 

Im currently fighting brain cancer and if i can do it with the strength and dignity you showed agains that vile MND idlbe one proud guy rest in peace my bro and get all the old videos on when you were giving it large to the bheasts  from the east end 

All the best of luck in the world to you brother ..... it can't be easy for you right now ... but to take time out from your own life threatening disease to recognise the valiant effort to survive by Fernando speaks volumes about your own strength of character .... I wish you well mate.

🇬🇧

2 hours ago, Sooty & Stevens said:

Im currently fighting brain cancer and if i can do it with the strength and dignity you showed agains that vile MND idlbe one proud guy rest in peace my bro and get all the old videos on when you were giving it large to the bheasts  from the east end 

Good luck mate. 

I’d love to read all the stories his ex teammates have about Fernando, even throw in the guys he played against that have a fernando story, I’ve heard a few, how accurate they really are is probably questionable but if even half true 👏🏻 You lived a life worth living Fernando ❤️💙🧡 

hopefully someday it could happen with all profit a kind of inheritance to his family

Going to be emotional tomorrow 😢

8 hours ago, Sooty & Stevens said:

Fucking hell mate, wishing you all the best. 

14 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

That's probably my favourite video of him and me remembering him for who he was as a person and a player, when he was at his peak. 

First response to winning a league title in those circumstances was, "Yeah well, one of those days" :lol:

Leaves us with that fantastic quote as a captain, "First is everything, second is nothing". 

Sleep easy Fernando. 

Should be our motto spoke like a true captain 

"First is everything, second is nothing". 

Our captain on a famous day. 

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,

The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,

The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,

While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;

But O heart! heart! heart!

O the bleeding drops of red,

Where on the deck my Captain lies,

Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;

Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,

For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;

Here Captain! dear father!

This arm beneath your head!

It is some dream that on the deck,

You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,

My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,

The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,

From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;

Exult O shores, and ring O bells!

But I with mournful tread,

Walk the deck my Captain lies,

Fallen cold and dead.

Captain Fernando Ricksen

“First is everything, second is nothing”

12 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Don't know if already posted, but a really poignant piece from  The Guardian, well written by Stuart James. Been bottling it all day, but that article got me - particularly about his wee girl. What a bastard of a disease, and no matter how much you "hate" other people for whatever reason - it just pales into insignificance when you read about what Fernando and others have and are going through with MND.  You simply would not like to see anyone suffering with it. RIP Fernando, you are at peace now.

"when the awful day comes, some people will say that you are in a better place, that you are no longer suffering and finally have peace. What would you say to that?

“They are absolutely right,” Ricksen said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/18/fernando-ricksen-death-motor-neurone-disease-heartbreak-relief

Great article, nice to see we still have some journalists left worthy of the name. 

20 minutes ago, Sooty & Stevens said:

I had cancer already 5 years ago and thought i had had my turn ...seemingly not - totally unrelated they say but that don't make it easier ...thanks for the decent words .....watp.........  Im sure brother ricksen is now at peace and finally the fighting misery  is over and maybe now he can rest   

That's a sore one to take....hopefully you knock this one out the park too.

14 minutes ago, Sooty & Stevens said:

I had cancer already 5 years ago and thought i had had my turn ...seemingly not - totally unrelated they say but that don't make it easier ...thanks for the decent words .....watp.........  Im sure brother ricksen is now at peace and finally the fighting misery  is over and maybe now he can rest   

All the strength in the world to you and your loved ones mate.
Your story should let people know that life is a bitch sometimes.

21 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

What a night that was, iirc that was the first time we beat them in 7/8 games.

I remember my old man disappeared as soon as the final whistle went and came back about 5 mins later with fireworks he had clearly held back from a few days before.

"Get out there and rub it in" :lol:

14 minutes ago, BillyG91 said:

this still isn't fucking sinking in. 

when some cunt famous dies i'm like "oh...that's a shame" but this is totally different. it feels like some sick joke and i still believe he is out there fighting it. the only positive when i realise it's no joke is that he is at peace. 

Even when it’s expected, it’s a shocking thing