Ricksen passed away

Escobar

1 hour ago, Big Al II said:

Sitting down ready to watch Sky piece on him, welling up at the thought of watching it.

I'm watching the Kelty Hearts and Auckinleck game. At half time the BBC of all people ran a tribute video and it made me well up instantly. 

It caught me off guard because it wasnt a Rangers game I was watching. What a fucking fighter the man was. I hope hes at peace.

1 hour ago, LegendofCoop said:

I'll delete this if folk think it an inappropriate place to say it. But. The sight of Lawell being applauded by bears made me feel sick. I understand why they did applaud, and am not criticising them directly. It just didn't sit right with me. Lennon is an ar*e, hate his antics but at least I think he would be genuine. Not the puppet master though. That was a point scoring stunt (just need to see the number of journos that 'just happened to be there').

LikeI say, I'll delete this if it's the wrong place/time to say this. 

Everyone has their own view. I don’t think it’s point scoring but it was certainly something they must do. People can make their own mind up on sincerity. The respect shown in the 70s and 80s and even 90s with Walter, Ally and Tommy Burns is finished. Given the way things have gone right so imo!

1 minute ago, JM1872 said:

Took a trip up today to lay a jersey. Couldn’t believe the amount of jerseys, scarfs, flags and flowers at both sets of gates. Its incredibly sad and sombre but all the colours on show will personify how colourful Fernando’s character was.

Rest in peace Fernando. 

E9D16257-47D8-490B-BC4B-0FD37767E396.jpeg

6065793D-14E1-4459-8A2A-48472B93A00B.jpeg

They will have to be picked up soon, what actually happens to all the scarves tops etc? anyone know, its a helluva lot of stuff to do whatever with.

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

They will have to be picked up soon, what actually happens to all the scarves tops etc? anyone know, its a helluva lot of stuff to do whatever with.

No clue mate, don’t know if maybe some will go to the family if they want them or the club might store them away somewhere. However, and you don’t like to think about it or say it, the majority will probably end up in the bin you would imagine.

1 minute ago, JM1872 said:

No clue mate, don’t know if maybe some will go to the family if they want them or the club might store them away somewhere. However, and you don’t like to think about it or say it, the majority will probably end up in the bin you would imagine.

The club will have no facility to store the items and it will prob piss down with rain soon and loads will be ruined, each and every person that laid a scarf, top bunch of flowers etc done so because it felt right and was the correct thing to do and it has created a spectacular  show of affection for Ricksen, maybe the best thing Rangers could do would be to get the club photographer to create a montage of the display and frame it and present it to Fernando's wife, even sell off the prints framed for MND charity, just a thought.

8 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

Powerful stuff that really struggling to keep it together watching it.

Still struggling to understand how a athlete in the prime of his life can be struck down by such a cruel illness.

No ashamed to admit that's the only illness that frightens me to death. I hope they find a cure asap man I really do

I'll delete this if folk think it an inappropriate place to say it. But. The sight of Lawell being applauded by bears made me feel sick. I understand why they did applaud, and am not criticising them directly. It just didn't sit right with me. Lennon is an ar*e, hate his antics but at least I think he would be genuine. Not the puppet master though. That was a point scoring stunt (just need to see the number of journos that 'just happened to be there').

👍

Spot on mate ..... as for the media coverage? ...... a fucking sham from a fucking sham of a club under pressure to try and look good .... anyone with any decency can see through this shite ..... point scoring at it's worst from the Glesca Jap.

No one is fooled by his hypocrisy.

🇬🇧 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I don’t know what to think.  On the one hand it is good they showed their respect publicly (unlike the manky interlopers last night) and we would have noticed and criticised them if they hadn’t done so.

On the other hand, they are c.nts of the highest order.

Difficult one.

Has the sniff of hollicom all over it, but on the other hand they didn't have to do anything, they showed decency and respect I can appreciate that regardless of motivation.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

Spot on mate ..... as for the media coverage? ...... a fucking sham from a fucking sham of a club under pressure to try and look good .... anyone with any decency can see through this shite ..... point scoring at it's worst from the Glesca Jap.

🇬🇧

Nail on head mate, nothing but a pr exercise for those shameless bastards, I’d have far more respect if they’d done it minus all the media pish. 

2 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

You’re bang on mate.  Slanty is a point scoring cunt. 

IMO, only Lennon should have gone. They played against each other, so that actually meant something. A bit like McCoist and Burns, Greig and McNeil. That other bastard has done his utmost to try and bury us.....as well as distance his own club from the heinous crimes committed in its name. Cant take to him at all.

1 hour ago, Big Al II said:

Everyone has their own view. I don’t think it’s point scoring but it was certainly something they must do. People can make their own mind up on sincerity. The respect shown in the 70s and 80s and even 90s with Walter, Ally and Tommy Burns is finished. Given the way things have gone right so imo!

It's always been the way mate, and it always should be like that. I have no issue with the club marking their respect. I'd be gobsmacked if they hadn't! The only issue is with Lawell....and him being applauded. Lennon yes, I've read his comments and they're genuine words. Lawell, nope. 

I just feel that he will have made a mental note that it was John Greig who laid the wreath on behalf of the club after McNeil passed away, and tried to out do it.  Remember, this is the man in charge of a club who won't mention us by name. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

🇬🇧

Well said mate! :tu: 

I doubt it mate, I don’t really want to go into why I think that cos it would sound like I’m praising them, I respected the gesture that I didn’t think their club was capable of making an it was humbling for Fernando that he was the type of personality who could bridge the divide 

1 minute ago, Tomatasauce said:

I doubt it mate, I don’t really want to go into why I think that cos it would sound like I’m praising them, I respected the gesture that I didn’t think their club was capable of making an it was humbling for Fernando that he was the type of personality who could bridge the divide 

Fair enough mate. I'll apologise if I've sidetracked this poignant thread. Just want to clarify though..... it's that one individual, not the club/Lennon. 

For me, now is not the time to be bothered with what anyone thinks of anyone at Parkhead. That is for another day.

Thoughts for now are with a young widow and her daughter now fatherless and away from home.

Flowers - will stay until withered then get disposed of.

Shirts - can be taken by The Red Cross who send similar to Uganda and Glasgow The Caring City charity with their links to Malawi.

Scarves - if appropriate can be laundered and used by homeless charities.

2 hours ago, JM1872 said:

Took a trip up today to lay a jersey. Couldn’t believe the amount of jerseys, scarfs, flags and flowers at both sets of gates. Its incredibly sad and sombre but all the colours on show will personify how colourful Fernando’s character was.

Rest in peace Fernando. 

E9D16257-47D8-490B-BC4B-0FD37767E396.jpeg

6065793D-14E1-4459-8A2A-48472B93A00B.jpeg

Unable to attend in person so, sent a donation to the Fernando Ricksen Foundation earlier today.

Still hard to accept that his battle is finally over. Sad times.

4 hours ago, ben51 said:

Absolutely no respect to any of them. 

Call me old fashioned, but cunts turning up in a full celtic strip to lay a scarf is ambulance chasing at its best, and I'd say the same if some idiot done the same for a celtic player.

Ricksen personified one of our greatest assets of 'no one likes us, we don't care'.  

He loved to be hated, and hated he was. But Rangers loved him and he loved Rangers.

The cunts on Twitter do my box in. They'll post a nice message then say, "... and I'm saying this as a celtic fan."

Fuck off. Nobody cares.

I been catching up on here and other places online the last few days. 

One thing that has really hit home is Fernando may have been only 43 when he passed away but it's been 6 years since he knew his time was running out. The poor guy spent 1/4 of his adult life fighting this unwinnable fight 

Also watching some of his stuff he was a down to earth normal guy, Living the dream of being a pro at the game we all love,We have a phrase to describe us as a fanbase. We are the people. And Fernando truly was one of the people. 

3 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Powerful stuff that really struggling to keep it together watching it.

Still struggling to understand how a athlete in the prime of his life can be struck down by such a cruel illness.

No ashamed to admit that's the only illness that frightens me to death. I hope they find a cure asap man I really do

I was speaking to a doctor about it an she said she’d rather have cancer than mnd, she said at least with cancer there is a survival rate

Just shows how scary mnd is to people who know exactly how it effects you, cancer has probably killed more people than anything else 

This is the way I want to remember Ricksen

Fernando-Ricksen-Football365.thumb.jpg.4a5ed6a86da76714d1e4ee057d4c1c07.jpg

I am not being dismissive of his illness and his fighting of it one bit, but I think he would have wanted to be remembered like this.

He's done his bit for MND, he raised a lot of money and awareness. I say it's time to leave all the tragic videos and pictures in the past and celebrate the part of his life he loved not the part he hated.

My friend died of MND and it was horrible watching him waste away and finally having to give up the one thing he loved after fighting and fighting. I know how he wanted to be remembered.

Fernando is one of the few that could be considered a true Rangers legend for what he did for the club, his winning mentality, his adoration for Rangers and the fans even at the bleakest of times, and his final fight against one of the worst illnesses you can face.

18 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

I was over there yesterday around two and wondered how there were loads of photographers and that fud Raman Bagwash there with a tv crew then I saw later Fernandos wife was there and assumed it was for her.