IF We don't win the league this season , do we still back Stevie Gerrard next season to win the league?

TopCat

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If we did get shot of him, the scum are going for 10 in the subsequent season.

Who would put their reputation on the line to manage Rangers with the scum likely to do that, how long would this guy get? How much transfer kitty does the new guy get to replace Gerrards squad with his own? How much is needed to create a league winning squad?

Imo its not just a case of he'd have failed to win the league in 2 seasons (against a financially stronger opponent btw) so get shot.  Some seasons this would be fair enough. But not with a 10 in a row for them awaiting the new guy. For me I'd rather go with a 3rd season for SG than hope a new guy could halt it in his 1st season (subject to progress and credible challenge this season).

Wonder what Wim Jansen is up to.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we don't win this year and we sack Gerrard. Who do we get in.

If we don't have the cash to buy better quality players to make sure we win the league, how do we fund a top line manager.

Gerrard is the biggest name we have had since Walter, he has attracted players to come to Ibrox that would not have otherwise come. So this constant cries of sack the manager if we don't win this or that. We have made progress under him and his team the game on Thursday proved that we blanked Feyenoord in the first half then withstood one of the top european teams defensively for long periods in the second half.

Lets see how we progress in all competitions up until Christmas before we started all this sack the manager shite.

So long as we show progress he’ll get another season. 

Like it or not, qualifying for Europa League group stages is far more valuable in terms of revenue than winning  a Scottish or League Cup. So our European performances will keep buying him time, as long as we’re giving it a good go in the league.

Next season is going to be horrendous if we don’t win the league this year mind, the pressure will actually be on us to stop 10 rather than them to win it 

17 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Wonder how much it would cost us now to bring in the level of player he did.

Henrik Larsson, Craig Burley, Stephane Mahe, Marc Rieper, Paul Lambert, Jonathan Gould..

Yeah. Although from what I recall (I was young) we bottled it that year and they weren’t that great. 

Was Larsson not ridiculously cheap?

Burley and Lambert were good signings for them. They made a profit on Burley too. 

13 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If we did get shot of him, the scum are going for 10 in the subsequent season.

Who would put their reputation on the line to manage Rangers with the scum likely to do that, how long would this guy get? How much transfer kitty does the new guy get to replace Gerrards squad with his own? How much is needed to create a league winning squad?

Imo its not just a case of he'd have failed to win the league in 2 seasons (against a financially stronger opponent btw) so get shot.  Some seasons this would be fair enough. But not with a 10 in a row for them awaiting the new guy. For me I'd rather go with a 3rd season for SG than hope a new guy could halt it in his 1st season (subject to progress and credible challenge this season).

great post as per and great point tbf

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah. Although from what I recall (I was young) we bottled it that year and they weren’t that great. 

Was Larsson not ridiculously cheap?

Burley and Lambert were good signings for them. They made a profit on Burley too. 

Larsson cost them half a million 

as has already been said as long as there is progress being made then keep him. 

if we were to get rid of him i'm not sure who we would be able to bring in and be any better. Gerrard is only up here to get the experience under his belt before taking on an EPL team and likely at some point Liverpool.

we can't be bringing in diddys like Warburton or Pedro again. we're not gonna get a big name from england. it'll be some no mark donkey who sees us a stepping stone to something bigger or some cunt who has been unemployed for a long time. i'm of course not having a go at our club but not many people really want to come to Scotland. honestly i'm still surprised Gerrard came up to us.

7 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

So we don't win this year and we sack Gerrard. Who do we get in.

If we don't have the cash to buy better quality players to make sure we win the league, how do we fund a top line manager.

Gerrard is the biggest name we have had since Walter, he has attracted players to come to Ibrox that would not have otherwise come. So this constant cries of sack the manager if we don't win this or that. We have made progress under him and his team the game on Thursday proved that we blanked Feyenoord in the first half then withstood one of the top european teams defensively for long periods in the second half.

Lets see how we progress in all competitions up until Christmas before we started all this sack the manager shite.

I would not advocate sacking this manager, as I see him as the best man to do the job. Whilst he is improving us, it is still a tall order to match them in quality due to their resources.  I cannot see a better replacement out there.

You can see what he is trying to do on the pitch but it simply doesn't click many times and I put that down to the quality of player available.  Too many missed chances last season and that needs to change.

On the other hand, I think we will improve further when Kent comes back and others settle in better and Tav returns to form. We have the squad now to do it, but our consistency needs to improve much over last season.

I also keep one eye on the financial situation. This board have invested much relative to their wealth and I also see this as a pivotal season for them. A reduction of only 10k ST's or failure to qualify for the EL group stages, would hit them big, such is our wage bill now. Would they be prepared to go on? I don't know.

If we fail to balance the books with significant deficit, then I would speculate on significant cost cutting and Gerrard would not be staying under those circumstances. I would not want him to leave even if we didn't take that title this season, but we also need to win  silverware to reflect improvement, or we simply are not, despite any of the hype.

1 hour ago, BillyG91 said:

as has already been said as long as there is progress being made then keep him. 

if we were to get rid of him i'm not sure who we would be able to bring in and be any better. Gerrard is only up here to get the experience under his belt before taking on an EPL team and likely at some point Liverpool.

we can't be bringing in diddys like Warburton or Pedro again. we're not gonna get a big name from england. it'll be some no mark donkey who sees us a stepping stone to something bigger or some cunt who has been unemployed for a long time. i'm of course not having a go at our club but not many people really want to come to Scotland. honestly i'm still surprised Gerrard came up to us.

So if we get to a cup final and finish within 5 points of the tarriers this season, after what we've spent, you see that as progress worthy of keeping a manager

Take the name gerrard out the equation, what other manager would get what we have spent and simply be allowed to progress 

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

I would not advocate sacking this manager, as I see him as the best man to do the job. Whilst he is improving us, it is still a tall order to match them in quality due to their resources.  I cannot see a better replacement out there.

You can see what he is trying to do on the pitch but it simply doesn't click many times and I put that down to the quality of player available.  Too many missed chances last season and that needs to change.

On the other hand, I think we will improve further when Kent comes back and others settle in better and Tav returns to form. We have the squad now to do it, but our consistency needs to improve much over last season.

I also keep one eye on the financial situation. This board have invested much relative to their wealth and I also see this as a pivotal season for them. A reduction of only 10k ST's or failure to qualify for the EL group stages, would hit them big, such is our wage bill now. Would they be prepared to go on? I don't know.

If we fail to balance the books with significant deficit, then I would speculate on significant cost cutting and Gerrard would not be staying under those circumstances. I would not want him to leave even if we didn't take that title this season, but we also need to win  silverware to reflect improvement, or we simply are not, despite any of the hype.

A bit of a safety net in terms of financials going forward if this season does not produce a title win is selling Morelos (and maybe a few others).   For once in recent history raising a sizeable amount of money from player sales might help in the shorter term, with reliance then placed on the development team strikers and other players just having to make that step up.    

That sort of safety net might help cover some of the financial overhang if things did not go as well as the Board expected this season and if, as a result, costs are too far out of kilter with prospective revenue. 

But it is no comfort whatsoever if titles are not being won and/or if there was a failure next season to qualify for the EL group stages.    With the 150th anniversary then on the clearly visible horizon the stresses of having to satisfy the Support with a title win become all the more intense.     Whether any of them have the willingness to deal with that and a risk that title 55 is not won before or during that 150th season is, imo, a big question.  I doubt any of them would want to be associated with the shame of failing to win title 55 and they'd be off before that risk crystalized.       

That said, there is time - including this season - for Gerrard and the team to deliver title 55 before the 150th season.   Though sooner or later the month to month then week to week pressures will start to come into very sharp reality for the manager, the squad and not least King and the Board.    The nearer that event gets without title 55 already won, the more likely imo King, Board Directors and maybe others will start to execute their 'get out' plans so that they are not forever associated in Rangers history as guardians on whose charge a failure to get 55 before or during the 150th anniversary happened.   Everything else that is done to commemorate 150 is a nostalgic shadow if there is not a recent title 55 to celebrate.   Because title 55 is the only really meaningful indicator that Rangers really has recovered. 

Only the most optimistic of fans would have expected us to win the league last season. I always thought it would take SG at least 3 transfer windows to turn us round. We were in a fu.ckin awful state when he arrived, barely a handful of players worthy of the Rangers jersey in our entire squad. If he fails this season it will imo be his first season of failure with the club. He gets a pass last season. Every manager deserves a 2nd chance(providing our performances dont nosedive this season).

Depends. If he takes the league to the last day then aye, it’s a no brainier for me. 

If the taigs win the league by under 10 points but we pick up a cup and qualify for the knockout stages for Europe then yes. 

If he finishes 10+ behind them without any trophy then something will have to give, unless we make it to Europa final but can’t see that happening again in my lifetime. 

4 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So if we get to a cup final and finish within 5 points of the tarriers this season, after what we've spent, you see that as progress worthy of keeping a manager

If we win the cup final in that scenario then yes. If not, what’s the alternative? 

He needs to win some silverware this season. The league being the top priority

He got cut a lot of slack last season considering the mess he inherited and it being his first season in management. 

If he finishes this season empty handed and massively behind the taigs in the league it will lead to questions over his position. 

On 20/09/2019 at 16:32, Courtyard Bear said:

We have a better team no doubt. 

But that wins us nothing. 

We have a decent squad.  When they want to play. 

Frustrating when when you go to a game and they play superb, then the next week we are dire and scraping out a win. 

Very bizarre and annoying. 

5 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

Considering what he inherited Gerrad has done an excellent job. 

We have never been closer to taking the title away from the puddle drinkers. Plus the European runs. Any talk of binning Gerrard should cease.

Yet his captain is a Warburton signing and his most important player is a Pedro signing

Go figure

Archived