KATIC......What's the story

Boybluesy

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I’m going off on a tangent here but it’s the exact same thing with some of our performances.

I seen somebody the other day complaining about how we are toiling in the league when we should be hammering every team we play when the reality is there has always been games and times when we have struggled and toiled a bit.

I can’t recall how many times I came on here under Smith and thought fucking hell that was dreadful but at least we got the points. Being crap for runs is games is not a new thing that’s started happening since we came back up post admin and I think some people need to stop with the “I can’t believe how far our standards have fallen” talk and remember when they are romanticising the past that bad results and performances happened pre admin too.

I read an interview with guardiola about 3 years or so ago where he was saying you have around 4 perfect games a season and the rest is basically just getting the win by any means possible.

14 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

A lot of people are forgetting that Katic was absolutely pish in the two games before he was dropped for some reason.

Katic has played a big part already and will get a chance again, but Helander deserves a chance now imo. 

So was Goldson in fact you could argue he was worse. 

17 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

A lot of people are forgetting that Katic was absolutely pish in the two games before he was dropped for some reason.

Katic has played a big part already and will get a chance again, but Helander deserves a chance now imo. 

The counter argument to that seems to be “aye but Goldson”

It’s maybe harsh but Goldson is the senior centre half, the vice captain and is considered the organiser and leader in the defence.

If both are underperforming - which they were - it will usually be the more senior player who gets the nod from the manager.

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So was Goldson in fact you could argue he was worse. 

It looks like Helander and Katic are competing for the left CB position with Goldson and Edmundson competing the right CB position. 

It's probably just a case of Helander being ready to step in and Edmundson not ready yet tbh.

Just now, DBBTB said:

It’s maybe harsh but Goldson is the senior centre half, the vice captain and is considered the organiser and leader in the defence.

If both are underperforming - which they were - it will usually be the more senior player who gets the nod from the manager.

I actually don't think Goldson has been anywhere near as bad as made out tbh.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

aye but Goldson

imo

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He’s not been great but I understand why Gerrard keeps him in the side.

I still think the partnership should be Katic and Goldson. 

It's a tough choice tbh - all 4 of them look capable of being starters.

Goldson and Katic looked good until the celtic game, then looked like they'd never played together before after that.

Goldson and Helander haven't conceded a goal yet, so i can see Gerrard sticking with that partnership imo.

I thought we'd looked fragile defensively for a few games before the Feyenoord one . Personally I'd have dropped Goldson out the two , but SG has gone for Katic , and you have to say he's been vindicated in that decision in the games since . 

17 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

It looks like Helander and Katic are competing for the left CB position with Goldson and Edmundson competing the right CB position. 

It's probably just a case of Helander being ready to step in and Edmundson not ready yet tbh.

Our that Goldson is the favourite and won’t be dropped. 

Katic played on the right in preseason no problem and Edmundson played on the left with no problem. 

Our that Goldson is the favourite and won’t be dropped. 

Katic played on the right in preseason no problem and Edmundson played on the left with no problem. 

It's fairly obvious that Gerrard sees Katic as a left sided CB tbh. Pre-season is about fitness more than anything else.

There'll be theories on why he isn't in the team, but fuck knows why. I still think he deserves to be on the bench before Edmundson at least tbh.

8 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

It's fairly obvious that Gerrard sees Katic as a left sided CB tbh. Pre-season is about fitness more than anything else.

There'll be theories on why he isn't in the team, but fuck knows why. I still think he deserves to be on the bench before Edmundson at least tbh.

We have a future Croatian international CB on our books and a very valuable asset for the club in the future. 

Which is in danger of going pear shaped because the gaffer has to play his favourite from Brighton. 

Somebody should be asking him wtf is going on. 

Oh and Katic and Edmundson played together in that game with Katic on the right and Edmundson on the left, you would’ve thought if the gaffer had them ear marked as only being able to play on one side of the defence he would’ve played them there in that game. 

We have a future Croatian international CB on our books and a very valuable asset for the club in the future. 

Which is in danger of going pear shaped because the gaffer has to play his favourite from Brighton. 

Somebody should be asking him wtf is going on. 

Fuck knows mate.

Katic isn't competing for Goldsons place, so his performances aren't affecting Katic playing or not imo. 

If Edmundson steps up then it could see Goldson dropped possibly, but like @DBBTB said, there's more to factor into Goldsons place in the team than his performance alone tbh, so he would need to be really shite to get dropped completely imo.

Archived