Gers v Liverpool - Legends match

OceanRain

4 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

Although I like these matches, I don't know about anyone else but I find it quite gutting seeing a lot of my heros getting older and not being able to do what they used to do.

Was great seeing Lovenkrands speed away down the left, as he would say out of position, but he still looked good. I think I spent most of the match waiting for Mols to come on, then get excited when he got the ball hoping he'd score. Wasn't meant to be though.

Get where you're coming from mate but I just think it's magic to see all our old heroes share the field of play once more....... especially against such attractive opposition.

I loved it tbh.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love these games. For example yesterday seeing Hutton, Cuellar and Papac in the back four and reminding my wee brother, who was 4 when I started taking him (and was the UEFA cup final season), that these were the men during that great spell. 

Great seeing older bears like Rae, Steven, Andrews, Mols etc I remember myself. 

To be honest, was so bored I could have nodded off.

When it's not a competitive game, there's no hunger, no edge for me.

Possibly not helped by how well the first team is playing now? Every point, every goal and possibly even every booking might prove to be crucial this year. Don't want to miss a match.

Going from that to a charity kickabout with 20 stone Boyd hitting a penalty wide, naaah.

6 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

Although I like these matches, I don't know about anyone else but I find it quite gutting seeing a lot of my heros getting older and not being able to do what they used to do.

Was great seeing Lovenkrands speed away down the left, as he would say out of position, but he still looked good. I think I spent most of the match waiting for Mols to come on, then get excited when he got the ball hoping he'd score. Wasn't meant to be though.

Yeah, i hate seeing the players age (and myself & family too!)

That said one of the best players was one of the oldest in Alex Rae.

It does bring back some good memories though. I think all these guys won leagues and cups with us.

Makes me wonder if in 20 years time will we be watching a 42 Morelos and a 47 Tav.......hope so, ha ha

2 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

It does bring back some good memories though. I think all these guys won leagues and cups with us.

Makes me wonder if in 20 years time will we be watching a 42 Morelos and a 47 Tav.......hope so, ha ha

Trevor Steven was fucked running on to the park😁

31 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

I couldn't believe how good alex rae was, him hutton and lovenkrands were standouts for me.

Pissed off at Gerrard waiting till he was fucked before turning out in blue! Would have been better 45 for each team I think.

44 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

To be honest, was so bored I could have nodded off.

When it's not a competitive game, there's no hunger, no edge for me.

Possibly not helped by how well the first team is playing now? Every point, every goal and possibly even every booking might prove to be crucial this year. Don't want to miss a match.

Going from that to a charity kickabout with 20 stone Boyd hitting a penalty wide, naaah.

Have to agree with you here. It's the reason I didn't bother going and watched it at home instead.

The last charity match I went to at Ibrox I ended up leaving at half time because it was like watching paint dry. Granted yesterday's game was of a better standard but it's still a flat, meaningless game with no atmosphere and the novelty of seeing all the old heroes in action only gets you so far.

I'd still happily watch one every international break though :lol:

I thought the Man UTD one was alright, by legends match standards. They are better than the charity ones with celebs yet I always find myself enjoying those ones a bit more whenever ive seen them on tv. Mike Myers cutting about the pitch :lol:  

1 hour ago, Blueteeth said:

I couldn't believe how good alex rae was, him hutton and lovenkrands were standouts for me.

Pissed off at Gerrard waiting till he was fucked before turning out in blue! Would have been better 45 for each team I think.

Let’s be honest, Gerrard is a Liverpool man, playing for Liverpool at any level even if it’s just a charity game with a bunch of old cunts means far more to him than playing for Rangers, or even managing Rangers  and I’m ok with that because I’d be the same if I was in that situation with Rangers.  So he didn’t have to wear the Rangers jersey but he did because he knew it would a. Make a lot of our supporters happy and b. Make more come and see it so more money for charity.  So fair play to him for that.  

27 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Let’s be honest, Gerrard is a Liverpool man, playing for Liverpool at any level even if it’s just a charity game with a bunch of old cunts means far more to him than playing for Rangers, or even managing Rangers  and I’m ok with that because I’d be the same if I was in that situation with Rangers.  So he didn’t have to wear the Rangers jersey but he did because he knew it would a. Make a lot of our supporters happy and b. Make more come and see it so more money for charity.  So fair play to him for that.  

To the letter mate you've got that spot on.

13 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

To the letter mate you've got that spot on.

Don’t think anyone would doubt that if he had to choose Liverpool over Rangers, Liverpool would win.   Fortunately he chose Rangers over everyone else and we are reaping the benefits.   

5 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Don’t think anyone would doubt that if he had to choose Liverpool over Rangers, Liverpool would win.   Fortunately he chose Rangers over everyone else and we are reaping the benefits.   

He only chose Rangers because Liverpool was not an option tbf. Listen mate I can't talk more highly of him or love the cunt more, but we all know when it comes to the crunch, where Stevie Gs heart lies. 

And do you know what? I have fucking no problem with that. 

56 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Yeah shame some are negative towards him, and him wearing our jersey yesterday (critical of pictures in social media etc)  when as you say he was doing it for us/ our charity. Low blows being critical of that, pretty snakey tbh

9 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

He only chose Rangers because Liverpool was not an option tbf. Listen mate I can't talk more highly of him or love the cunt more, but we all know when it comes to the crunch, where Stevie Gs heart lies. 

And do you know what? I have fucking no problem with that. 

Let's not forget he put his reputation on the line by leaving a safe gig at liverpool to come here and manage us. 

He needs to be successful here or the main job at Liverpool is a pipe dream for him.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yeah shame some are negative towards him, and him wearing our jersey yesterday (critical of pictures in social media etc)  when as you say he was doing it for us/ our charity. Low blows being critical of that, pretty snakey tbh

Here btw part of me agreed that he shouldn’t have put the Rangers jersey on because he’s not a Rangers legend, but then more than half of the team were no legends of Rangers so that ruled that argument out straight away. 

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Let's not forget he put his reputation on the line by leaving a safe gig at liverpool to come here and manage us. 

He needs to be successful here or the main job at Liverpool is a pipe dream for him.

I don't think his future managerial position at Liverpool hinges on his success with us if I'm honest. 

8 hours ago, GOAT said:

I know that mate, I was just being greedy.

I just wonder how much he'd get if he auctioned his Rangers jersey.

Archived