Funeral of Fernando

ianb1547

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ben51 said:

Sadly full of spackers more interested in filming it for their Facebook than actually paying their respects. 

There are TV companies there doing that job, call me old fashioned but what the fuck are you even going to do with that video? 

Anyway, sleep easy Fernando. One of our own. 

Our Society has become that shallow sadly. People would rather look at stuff through their phone than just look at it in real time. Filming a funeral scrapes the bottom of the barrel though.

Today should just be about Fernando. 

11 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

Our Society has become that shallow sadly. People would rather look at stuff through their phone than just look at it in real time. Filming a funeral scrapes the bottom of the barrel though.

Today should just be about Fernando. 

Today was a sad part of our history. For the thousands who came to the stadium today, there were ten times that amount across the world who were unable to, but still wanted to participate.

Some people see one thing as appropriate, others the polar opposite. Either way, today was about our former captain's family and loved ones. They matter today, nobody else does. Not you. Not me. Not anyone else but them

When you attend a very large funeral of a close family member, you just make out a sea of faces and a wall of noise. You don't remember who wore what, who sang what. When all is over and we have gone to our own homes today, a wife will be left without a husband and a wee girl won't have a dad.

When everyone is finished pontificating about who should have worn what, maybe remember the above, eh?

On 24/09/2019 at 16:03, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

👍gonna head over for it.

Hopefully mobbed and thousands paying final respects. 

It will be, no doubt that. Fans backed him to hilt whilst he was still with us and they'll back him one last time.

I’m glad his mum and brother got to see how much he was loved in Scotland, it’s hard working in another country away from your family, they lost out on the day to day contact while he was here but atleast they can see it was all worth while, I don’t think for a minute Pedro had any idea how much Fernando meant to the people❤️💙

1 minute ago, Tomatasauce said:

I’m glad his mum and brother got to see how much he was loved in Scotland, it’s hard working in another country away from your family, they lost out on the day to day contact while he was here but atleast they can see it was all worth while, I don’t think for a minute Pedro had any idea how much Fernando meant to the people❤️💙

Did his mum make it over ?? I read an article from the Athletic last week that said she wouldn't be able to come over because his dad was very poorly and she cared for him 24/7. 

If she did make it over then I am glad she got to say goodbye properly to her son and see how loved he was.

4 hours ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Did his mum make it over ?? I read an article from the Athletic last week that said she wouldn't be able to come over because his dad was very poorly and she cared for him 24/7. 

If she did make it over then I am glad she got to say goodbye properly to her son and see how loved he was.

Aye she must have mate I seen this pic it says Pedro, his mum, son, wife and mother in law

D49222F5-BAD9-49EA-9ABB-B0D5991E7116.jpeg

Thought is add this, it’s from the Dutch media, so been google translated if any wording looks a bit strange.

Brother of Fernando Ricksen: "I Thought he would overcome ALS"

Almost a week after the death of Fernando Ricksen, brother Pedro shares his story with the media for the first time. "It is unbelievable what kind of emotion you experience in the last few days," he tells L1.
He traveled to Glasgow on Tuesday with his wife, son, mother and mother-in-law to attend Fernando's funeral on Wednesday.
On the Impressive tribute to Fernando Ricksen in Glasgow
"This is powerful"
At the stadium there is an impressive sea of flowers, scarves, flags and other attributes. "We had seen these images on television and Facebook, but if you come here ... unbelievable. I knew he was a big footballer here, but I didn't think it would be so huge what I see here. A lump in m ' nroat. I have to hold my ground. But this is great, "says Pedro.

Fernando Ricksen died last Wednesday. His brother last saw him a few months earlier. "At that time you already noticed that things were going worse for him. That is bad to see," said the emotional Pedro. "It hurt me, the few days that I was here. I had a suspicion: this might be the last time I experience him like that. It turns out to be so. I am very happy that I I have been here a few months ago.

" Mrs Ricksen was not at the last moment: 'Very painful'
"Convinced he was going to make it"
Pedro was convinced that Fernando would overcome ALS. The twelve-time Oranje-international fought for years against the muscular disease. "When the doctors said: maybe another year, I was convinced that he was going to make it."

Although Pedro knows that a tough day awaits him on Wednesday, he also wants to dwell on the legacy of the former football player. "It will be very tough, but I also intend to take in how big he was. And how beautiful it is to experience how he is honored here. I will certainly shed a tear, maybe also two. "

Fantastic to see such a great turn out for him, but that's a hard watch.....taken me 3 attempts to watch it. 

Re the players in tracksuits. Just a thought. Could it have been a family request? Would Fernando have rather seen a load of suits today, or club colours? 

Rest in Peace Fernando. GBNF! 💙

7 minutes ago, JackAlex93 said:

Great send off for Fernando, wish I could have been there to pay my final respects. 

I watched the STV news and couldn't believe the amount of people with a mobile phone out videoing the whole thing. You wouldn't do that at a normal funeral would you? Very strange in my opinion.

The young generation are a strange bunch mate, my wee brothers 19 an sends snap chats sittin on the karzy, on the bus snapchats, in college snap chats 🤦🏻‍♂️ I give him constant pelters but it disne make any difference to the wee dick

fucking weird

7 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

The young generation are a strange bunch mate, my wee brothers 19 an sends snap chats sittin on the karzy, on the bus snapchats, in college snap chats 🤦🏻‍♂️ I give him constant pelters but it disne make any difference to the wee dick

fucking weird

Mate, it was people of every age doing it. 

It's society chasing social media 'likes' and ego massaging. 

Archived