Man management

KeyserSoze

It’s about respect and treating people properly 

An often overlooked aspect of the game. Walter Smith could work with average and make them decent, he could also turn decent into excellent. 

A trait that I think Gerrard has in spades and will in time make his contribution, to the teams he manages, not just about tactics but about how to change a players mindset to focus on what needs done 

He may have  a team of coaches and background staff around him to help, but he is fast becoming a true example of how to treat players properly and get the very best out of them. 

Alfredo Morelos looked raw and angry. He’s now a fucking class act. Arfield looks sure and more confident and Davis now looks to have rediscovered himself. 

These three will be massive players as we lift the league title and secure a new world record of 55. 

I fucking love it just now, truly I do and it’s because of the Gerrard effect 

*edit - add Jack to that 

WATP

Of all our players Jack & Alfredo seem to have took the most from Stevie. 

Jack looked like he was just going to be another good SPFL player that couldn’t make it with us and would disappear back into the mid table dross in Scotland. Alfie though I love the wee man was in the verge of ruining his career by letting the hammer throwers get to him far too much. 

Both are now playing at their peak and could easily move on to bigger and better level of football. 

So many players have ability. However, very few fulfil their early promise or reach their potential and get the very best out of their career. There are a number of factors but to be the best you need to sacrifice everything. You need to leave everything out there and give it everything you have, and not just on the field. You have to live the life. You can't take any shortcuts.

The mental side of it and the personal touch is really significant. You need your manager to believe in you, trust you, be honest with you, communicate clearly with you, push you, know when to show tough love and when to put an arm round your shoulder. Players want to feel loved, important and be allowed to play with a freedom to express themselves. It's tough to balance but a great man manager is imperative to a successful team. Walter is a great example of great man management. I think Gerrard has similar traits.

3 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

Not to mention Ryan Kent as well btw - who had had a few indifferent loans prior to joining us.    The difference in him from the start to the end of the season was incredible. 

Gerrard was a huge part of that.

I agree although Kent’s development is more down to good football coaching and not so much the “man management” side  - although it could be argued both are needed just in different volumes.  

6 minutes ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

makes  you think how lennon and a few other bad tempered managers do it? could be fear but fergie could do both and shankly

I think the “fear” thing is a ruse. It’s a public face. Shankly and Ferguson ‘s success was about how they treated people. 

And Lemmon is a wee fucking dick who nobody cares about and shouldn’t be mentioned in a paragraph containing Shankly and Ferguson 

30 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

SG seems to manage his players very well, However, don’t think Kris Commons agrees with this , as he says SG has treated Greg Stewart as an outcast.

Which is nonsense.

Commons is a total moron. His take on Gerrards comment are baffling (but not surprising)! He makes no sense the stupid prick!

31 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

SG seems to manage his players very well, However, don’t think Kris Commons agrees with this , as he says SG has treated Greg Stewart as an outcast.

Which is nonsense.

Standard ignorant nonsense coming from their mouths.  Stewart has always said the manager has been straight with him from day 1 and told him he will get his chance. Which was proved correct and look how motivated he was to take it.

47 minutes ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

makes  you think how lennon and a few other bad tempered managers do it? could be fear but fergie could do both and shankly

They don’t mange it, TLB has fell out with every dressing room he has been in charge of, and will again if we can ramp up the pressure. 

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

I agree although Kent’s development is more down to good football coaching and not so much the “man management” side  - although it could be argued both are needed just in different volumes.  

True. but honestly believe Kent is the type that needs to feel wanted and trusted to be the main man in the big games, and the manager has played to that.

As have the best supporters in the world and it's all contributed to him finding a home.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

The man management of the way we courted him and pursued him was excellent as well as professional - we made home feel wanted! 

For anyone interested.

Gerrards comments, nothing but praise:

“It’s important that people know it had nothing to do with sentiment why Greg started,”

“His training performances have been outstanding, the quality that he’s shown.”

“I think he’s fitter now, he’s in better shape. He knows how we play now in and out of possession. He knows what is asked of him and the demands."

“So he deserved his chance, he has taken it and given me something to think about.”

Commons article:

Kris Commons has criticised Steven Gerrard for "strange" comments about striker Greg Stewart following the 5-0 victory over Aberdeen. 

Ex-celtic midfielder Commons reckons Gerrard has treated Greg Stewart as an "outcast" despite being his side's "best creator".

Stewart, making his first start for Rangers following a move from Birmingham City, scored one and had a hand in others as he put in a man-of-the-match shift at Ibrox.

And after Gerrard admitted Stewart had given him "something to think about" in terms of team selection, Commons questioned the manager's judgement.

"I found Gerrard's post-match comments on Saturday a bit strange, given how good Stewart had been and how key he had been to victory," he told Daily Mail.

"He had admitted that Stewart had taken his chance, before then saying that the performance had 'given me something to think about'.

"Sorry, but what is there to think about? The answer is staring Gerrard square in the face because, on that form, Stewart is his most creative player.

"As a player, I wouldn't like to hear my manager saying something like that about me. It's almost as if he's saying: 'Okay, so Greg's part of my second string, but I might think about playing him more in the future'.

"Basically, it sounds as if Gerrard still isn't fully convinced, which begs the question of why he chose to sign him in the first place?"

Commons went on to suggest that Gerrard may be spoilt for choice in wide areas by adding: "Stewart is far better than that. Look at the abundance of wide players at the club - Jordan Jones, Ryan Kent, Sheyi Ojo and Brandon Barker.

"When he's on top form, I'd take Stewart ahead of any of them. It's time for Gerrard to show more trust and faith in him. After this performance on Saturday, the Rangers manager shouldn't be speaking about him like he's some kind of outcast."

Stewart's goal capped a fine individual performance in which he also hit the woodwork. 

His strike came either side of a James Tavernier penalty and a goal from top scorer Alfredo Morelos.

Tavernier grabbed another from the spot and substitute Jermain Defoe rounded off the performance to ensure Rangers closed the gap at the top to one point following celtic's 1-1 draw at Hibs.

To conclude, Commons hasn't a clue about anything and is also a bit of a cunt. He thinks Stewart is better than Kent too. Now don't get me wrong i'm impressed by Stewart but come on!

Archived