Welcome back Tavernier

GOAT

1 hour ago, pollok-bear said:

Also missed penalties 

When you take as many as he has penalties are bound to be missed.  Even Alan shearer and Ruud van nistelrooy missed penalties.

2 shocking mistakes last night but deserves abit more backing than what you see on social media

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BlueMe said:

You said he was easily the best RB at defending but you're asking me if i fail to notice his performance in Europe when he's playing at LB?

What game's has Flanagan "excelled in his defending" at RB? 

Also, you say "he'd also continuously been playing left back" - the reason for this, is because he's a LB and Gerrard clearly thinks so as well or he wouldn't have signed a backup RB in Polster.

I'm assuming you're now going to tell me there's no difference from playing LB and RB as they're similar positions - well there is and they're not.

He's not a left back. He is a right back who has filled in as left back during spells in his career.

Tavernier is pretty much guaranteed his place regardless of form, that much is clear. As such, Flanagan hasn't had the opportunity to play on the right, save the Cowdenbeath game where he wasn't the only  Rangers player who was utter mince.  As i said in my earlier post, Flanagan hadn't played in the 9 games previous to Cowdenbeath so it's not a best game to highlight what he does/doesn't bring to the team.

Flanagan is good at defending: keeps it simple, never shirks a tackle. He's not exceptional. If he was he wouldn't be at Rangers. 

Left back has been our weak position so Flanagan has played left back, and has excelled at DEFENDING in the big games. If he can defend well in his unnatural position i'm pretty sure given the opportunity he can defend just as well in his natural position and do so far better than Tav, who is a very poor defender regardless of the progress he has made over the past 18 months.

Pretty much every article on Flanagan talks about him being a right back who happens to be fairly adept at playing left back and has therefore been played at left back throughout his career when there have been injuries. He has performed well enough to hold down that position for extended periods.

As for Polster, he is, at best, a squad player who can fill various midfield and defensive rolls. He was a punt  and will be costing us very little. I doubt he will feature much for the first team.

Of course LB and RB are similar positions. To say otherwise is mental. They are full back positions which are mirrored. They fill the EXACT same role in the team on opposite sides of the pitch. Switching a natural right back who won Young Player of the Year at Liverpool for his performances at right back before being asked to deputise at left back (and proving more than capable) from left to right shouldn't be a big ask.

Just don't expect a 5 star performance after a 9 game lay off having played left back for the previous year.

3 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

I seen on Facebook the captain was a cunt, bastard , wanker, prick , useless and no better than Ricky Foster.  I kid you not we have the most bipolar support in the world 

I love being bi polar, it’s fucking shite.

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Flanagan to replace Tav.. :lol:

That’s enough internet for me today.

Never said that.

It was mentioned Tav was our best right back.

I said he was our best attacking right back and Flanagan is our best right back at DEFENDING.

Never said Flanagan should replace Tav. Simply pointed out Flanagan is better at defending and Tav is better at attacking. Both happen to be natural right backs.

Given the OP was about Tav's inability to defend properly at times it seems a fairly valid comparison to make.

On balance Tav brings more to the team, or at least he did when he was contributing more and his defensive lapses could be forgiven. 

Missing penalties, crosses not as accurate and general bang average play means his defending falls under more scrutiny and he is capable of some truly woeful defending at times.

Typically his mishaps tend to lead to crucial goals.

3 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

If we’re being hyper critical, it seems of just one player, why is McGregor not getting stick for not saving the effort? After all he parries it into the net when it’s essentially hit straight at him?  Na doesn’t fit the we hate certain players agenda. 

Aye that’s right cause he isn’t one of the whipping boys who we don’t wait until he makes a mistake to absolutely roast him. 

Also you can just tell the OP has been sitting on that thread title since Tav cost us a goal against Falkirk 4 year ago

Did McGregor not receive stick anywhere? Think you might be talking shite there (shocker). The point still stands if Tav clears that ball instead of trying to shag it in mid air like a thicker Forrest Gump then McGregor wouldn’t have even needed to even make a save. McGregor is at fault, it’s undeniable, but it’s completely separate point to captain fantastic’s latest fuck up. 

Its such a strange defence for him. 

‘aye, he fucked up, but, but, but what about McGregor?’ 

Clueless. 

30 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

And that is why you can’t take the RM anti-Tav rage seriously...

:lol: did well to get a hand to it.

Killie away in the “Worrall” game, where he fluffed it to let Jones score. 

Didn’t Jones pick up the ball on Tav’s empty, vacant side that game as well 🧐 seems like there’s a theme developing here. 

2 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Hyper critical? Tav sold the jersey last night.  It’s that simple. He deserves every bit of flak coming his way for his capitulation. McGregor was one on one and the odds are against him. Did well to get a hand to it. Can you remember a single howler from McGregor that has cost us a game? He took massive flak when he got sent off last season for being a dick. Thankfully we didn’t concede with McCrorie in goals

Anyway.  Tav’s capitulation last night doesn’t make him a bad player. He is undoubtedly a great asset going forward. but he has been nowhere near the player he can be this season and needs rested.  And he is prone to a gaff and prone to being caught out of position. Jack covers for him constantly. 

He simply should not be captain. I get why Gerrard did it when he arrived. But we have moved on massively from then and we have better candidates for captain now. He should be thought of in the same terms as Barisic, our first choice full back that needs to stay on his toes or he will be dropped.

Give him a rest, give the captaincy to Davis or Jack and bring Tav back in after a couple of games. 

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON

45 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

And that is why you can’t take the RM anti-Tav rage seriously...

:lol: did well to get a hand to it.

Killie away in the “Worrall” game, where he fluffed it to let Jones score. 

McGregor has made a cunt of things before (Rapid Vienna away springs to mind) but to blame him for coming off 2nd best in a one on one situation is clutching at straws a bit. The attacking player is always the favourite there.

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

So his last MOTM performance was against....

help me out here. 

No idea, question answered even though it wasn’t directed to me. 

Seen as your so clued up on all things Tavernier I’ll ask for the 3rd time when has Tavernier cost us a game bar the back pass at Parkhead after literally dragging us with 10 men to the brink of a victory. 

This is what I mean about there being folk who point blank refuse to acknowledge when Tavernier is to blame for something. If you read through this thread you'll see Helander being blamed for their 2nd goal for not directing his header elsewhere. You'll see Tavernier attempting to clear the ball with some sort of slide tackle passed off as a slip and you'll see McGregor being blamed for not saving the shot once their player got through on goal.

Defending the indefensible. It's possible to acknowledge he's to blame without it meaning you hate him and want him sold. 

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Seen as your so clued up on all things Tavernier I’ll ask for the 3rd time when has Tavernier cost us a game bar the back pass at Parkhead after literally dragging us with 10 men to the brink of a victory. 

Motherwell springs to mind where he lost  his man not just once but twice and it resulted in a goal on both occasions.

23 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Did McGregor not receive stick anywhere? Think you might be talking shite there (shocker). The point still stands if Tav clears that ball instead of trying to shag it in mid air like a thicker Forrest Gump then McGregor wouldn’t have even needed to even make a save. McGregor is at fault, it’s undeniable, but it’s completely separate point to captain fantastic’s latest fuck up. 

Its such a strange defence for him. 

‘aye, he fucked up, but, but, but what about McGregor?’ 

Clueless. 

You’re really on a role now. 

Point me in the direction of a 14 page thread of McGregor receiving stick for last night or Kilmarnock in January thanks. 

The point still stands that if a mistake is made in defence the goalie has to stand up and be counted, like McGregor has done plenty of times but didn’t last night, yet he gets away Scot- free because he isn’t part of the wee we hate Rangers players fan club which cunts like yourself are falling over each other to stick the boot in. 

Not a strange defence at all as I’ve just explained. 

Tav, Helander, Barisic have all had absolute nonsense posted about them the past 3 month. 

2 of the 3 had great games last night, the other literally slips and he’s a disgrace, not fit to wear the jersey, demoted tae the under 16s. 

It’s boring, tedious pish by the same clowns on here after every mistake any of those players make. Fuck all better to do than gloat in a Rangers players mistake to justify the fact you hated him since he cost as a goal against Alloa or some shite like that. 

Fans like you can’t accept you were wrong about a player so just pick up on every slack pass or bad cross to justify your stance. 

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

I’d argue the away game directly before that game at Parkhead at Hibs when he gave the ball away trying to con the ref into giving him a free kick when he’d, yet again, fucked it. Unfortunately for us the ref had a pair of working eyes. 

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

You’re really on a role now. 

Point me in the direction of a 14 page thread of McGregor receiving stick for last night or Kilmarnock in January thanks. 

The point still stands that if a mistake is made in defence the goalie has to stand up and be counted, like McGregor has done plenty of times but didn’t last night, yet he gets away Scot- free because he isn’t part of the wee we hate Rangers players fan club which cunts like yourself are falling over each other to stick the boot in. 

Not a strange defence at all as I’ve just explained. 

Tav, Helander, Barisic have all had absolute nonsense posted about them the past 3 month. 

2 of the 3 had great games last night, the other literally slips and he’s a disgrace, not fit to wear the jersey, demoted tae the under 16s. 

It’s boring, tedious pish by the same clowns on here after every mistake any of those players make. Fuck all better to do than gloat in a Rangers players mistake to justify the fact you hated him since he cost as a goal against Alloa or some shite like that. 

Fans like you can’t accept you were wrong about a player so just pick up on every slack pass or bad cross to justify your stance. 

No offence but, based on what you’ve posted in this thread, it really isn’t worth my time reading that 👍🏻 Like I said, you’re clueless. 

2 minutes ago, beararse said:

Motherwell springs to mind where he lost  his man not just once but twice and it resulted in a goal on both occasions.

So he’s cost us the grand total of 8 points in over a year. 

Wonder how many he’s won us. Probably none with the nonsense spouted on here

Just now, King Jela said:

No offence but, based on what you’ve posted in this thread, it really isn’t worth my time reading that 👍🏻 Like I said, you’re clueless. 

Ano a must be compared to the uber staunchess of your managerial and analytical prowess eh. 

Like I said, weapon. 

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

So he’s cost us the grand total of 8 points in over a year. 

Wonder how many he’s won us. Probably none with the nonsense spouted on here

Never said he hasn't won us points. You asked if someone could name a game other than tonight where Tav's defending has cost us. I simply gave you one.

3 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Flannigan to replace tav :lol:

cunts are mad at times 

Never said that.

It was mentioned Tav was our best right back.

I said he was our best attacking right back and Flanagan is our best right back at DEFENDING.

Never said Flanagan should replace Tav. Simply pointed out Flanagan is better at defending and Tav is better at attacking. Seems an obvious statement to make. Both also happen to be natural right backs.

Given the OP was about Tav's inability to defend properly at times it seems a fairly valid comparison to make.

On balance Tav brings more to the team, or at least he did when he was contributing more and his defensive lapses could be forgiven. 

Missing penalties, crosses not as accurate and general bang average play means his defending falls under more scrutiny and he is capable of some truly woeful defending at times.

Typically his mishaps tend to lead to crucial goals.

37 minutes ago, beararse said:

He's not a left back. 

Except he is, and Gerrard clearly agrees.

I'm not wasting my time reading the rest of that pish tbh.

I'm assuming it's something to do with Flanagan not getting a chance at RB and playing in an unnatural position, even though he's played the vast majority of games with us as a LB and also played there with previous clubs - we'll ignore that though if it helps your argument.

2 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I'm assuming it's something to do with Flanagan not getting a chance at RB and playing in an unnatural position, even though he's played the vast majority of games with us as a LB and also played there with previous clubs - we'll ignore that though if it helps your argument.

What previous clubs did he consistently play left back at? 

15 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Just because he doesn't play for us as right back doesn't mean he's not a right back.

What Gerrard clearly agrees is that at that particular time he was our best option at left back. All that does is highlight our left backs are shite.

As for other clubs, Flanagan won Young Player of the Season playing right back for Liverpool and following that transferred to the left to cover an injury and proved a good fit. He has also played for England U19s, U20s and U21s six times....all as right back. 

That suggests to me he's a right back who's pretty good covering as a left back.

Archived