Welcome back Tavernier

GOAT

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Yet he'll most likely be in the 11 come Thursday. 

Manager said players need to fight for the shirt. Tav just seems to be untouchable in the managers eyes. 

Who do you replace him with? Lack of quality cover in his position. 

23 minutes ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

Right, so are we dropping Tavernier and firing Polster in aye?

Why not? There's fuckall wrong with Polster. He seems to have been dismissed as shite by some folk purely because they refuse to believe anyone other than Tavernier should play at right back for us.

Flanagan can also play there btw, don't be fooled by him being shoehorned in at left back while Barisic was finding his feet. It could very well be that Tavernier is our 3rd best right back but we never seem to get a chance to find out.

I personally think tav has taken one look at our squad realised that there is no competition so has just thought he could turn up.

Every other person in our squad has cover equal too or better breathing down there necks apart from tav.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Why not? There's fuckall wrong with Polster. He seems to have been dismissed as shite by some folk purely because they refuse to believe anyone other than Tavernier should play at right back for us.

Flanagan can also play there btw, don't be fooled by him being shoehorned in at left back while Barisic was finding his feet. It could very well be that Tavernier is our 3rd best right back but we never seem to get a chance to find out.

Seen nothing to suggest Polster is better than Tav, so I wouldn't bring him in for this game. There's an argument for Flanagan, though. 

17 minutes ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

I don't have a problem with that either btw.

I do - it's a fucking ridiculous suggestion.

Drop your captain and throw in a boy who has barely kicked a ball for us against one of the better clubs outside the 'big' European leagues. Fucking madness.

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Over the course of season he has the most assists in team.

so i’ll ask again, were does creativity come from in team if replaced by, say, Flanagan?

In theory, it should come from Kent, Jones, Ojo, Stewart, Murphy, Barker, Arfield and Aribo. Certainly plenty of options but a lot of them unproven, particularly in big games. 

5 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I just want a right back that is just that. A right back. Nothing else. A solid right back that can tackle like fuck, deal with simple situations and who gives the ball to better players than him.

Tavernier is trying to do and be everything and he can't do it.

7 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Name(s)?

Flanagan is an able defender but has a nosebleed whenever the opposition's box is in sight.

An able defender is exactly what we need at right back. Being able to attack is just a bonus and I'm not sure if you noticed but even that aspect of Tavernier's game was absolute dog shite today also.

1 minute ago, Bigdave30 said:

Tav will start against Porto and if he is anything other than above average he should be dropped for the following game against Motherwell.

Theres not a chance Gerrard drops his captain for a big euro game.

Tav could start against Porto and be the single reason for us losing the tie and he'll still start against Motherwell.

I've accepted that now.

Iv been a huge Tav fan and almost never slate any of our own but today he was dreadful ,

He gets plenty defence when he makes match losing errors that he does offer a lot going forward ,

But today’s forward play was awful ,got a few crosses in ,maybe saying crossing opportunity because the final ball was miles out ,

Don’t know what the best thing is moving forward ,even though he has a good few assists and some goals his form has been below par all season so far and I don’t think it’s a lot to do with missing Candias 

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

An able defender is exactly what we need at right back. Being able to attack is just a bonus and I'm not sure if you noticed but even that aspect of Tavernier's game was absolute dog shite today also.

He was shit as were others.

You might not have noticed it  but SG has set our team up to play fast counter attacking football. My gran can run faster with a ball than Flanagan.  Talking about a bloke who has scored a solitary goal in his professional career. Shocking stat for a RB. He might be reasonably sound defensively but he won't win you a game by any stretch of the imagination. 

When Tav was on form rampaging forward, and Flanagan was left back and didnt push, everyone seemed ok with that imbalance as long as the results were fine.

So what's the difference now when we could have Barisic pushing on the left and Flanagan more defensively minded on the right?

No player should retain the jersey if playing poorly and costing goals and points. Not even the captain.

Archived