Welcome back Tavernier

GOAT

Ok tav has cost us to lose three important goals in two games but and it's a big but  if the rest of the players were playing to their full potential the goals lost might not have been so important. We have had more than half a team posted missing in more than one game this season and it is just not fucking good enough we win and lose as a team. And it is now time for the players who are trying to hide during the games to stand up and be counted and if they cannot handle the pressure of playing for Rangers they can fuck off we as a support deserve better much better.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Ok tav has cost us to lose three important goals in two games but and it's a big but  if the rest of the players were playing to their full potential the goals lost might not have been so important. We have had more than half a team posted missing in more than one game this season and it is just not fucking good enough we win and lose as a team. And it is now time for the players who are trying to hide during the games to stand up and be counted and if they cannot handle the pressure of playing for Rangers they can fuck off we as a support deserve better much better.

Out of nine games we still have only lost one and had one draw to put that in perspective last season after nine games we had two losses and two draws we have improved  but we still have that fragility to our team.

40 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Gerrard himself said the attacking players didn’t turn up against Hearts.  Even if Hearts get a goal we should have enough midfield to front to at them.  They’re a team struggling badly at the minute and we looked devoid of any creativity midfield to front.

14 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

He needs a rest. His game is based on athleticism and he looks jaded imo. 

So does Arfield but who do we replace these guys with?  If Gerrard wants to play Flanagan against Porto I’d understand but in the SPFL we should be using an attacking full-back every game.  

Arfiled looks knackered and out of form but Kent, Jones and Barker have been unavailable.  

34 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I’m a massive Tavernier fan but some of the attempts to make excuses for and justify his mistakes in this thread are ridiculous.

Best player in a group stage we failed to qualify from but 

49 minutes ago, Smile said:

Missed Jack coming over covering for him against Hearts  dont know why he tried to clear a ball that Goldson could have got quite easily.

I think we miss Candeias on the right TBH.  When Candeias first came in there was a noticeable improvement in Tavernier’s game.  Candeias ran himself in to the ground tracking back and pressing opposition defenders when out of possession.  Ojo doesn’t do shit from a defensive point of view.  Even in attack Ojo looks half arsed.

Just now, G.E.C. said:

Best player in a group stage we failed to qualify from but 

Not just our Europa group, all groups.  The Europa website takes in to consideration tackles, goals, interceptions, etc.  Tavernier was a standout in the group stages for last season. 

5 hours ago, TMB said:

So does Arfield but who do we replace these guys with?  If Gerrard wants to play Flanagan against Porto I’d understand but in the SPFL we should be using an attacking full-back every game.  

Arfiled looks knackered and out of form but Kent, Jones and Barker have been unavailable.  

Must be some youths who can step up for a few games (might even end up becoming regulars) Works for other clubs!! 

13 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think we miss Candeias on the right TBH.  When Candeias first came in there was a noticeable improvement in Tavernier’s game.  Candeias ran himself in to the ground tracking back and pressing opposition defenders when out of possession.  Ojo doesn’t do shit from a defensive point of view.  Even in attack Ojo looks half arsed.

I agree Candeias did make Tav a better player even when Candeias didn't have the best of games he still worked up and down covering for Tav, I still think Tavs one of our best players but he's been making mistakes that are criminal now. 

Ojo's plays like a youth player and struggles in the games in Scotland but I would not be surprised if him and Aribo have a good game tomorrow given more time and space.

45 minutes ago, TMB said:

Not just our Europa group, all groups.  The Europa website takes in to consideration tackles, goals, interceptions, etc.  Tavernier was a standout in the group stages for last season. 

Try believng what is in front of your eyes.

Try living in the here and now.

Don't know what it is about Tav. Dug shite for almost four months. Even a bad run of form aint that fucking long ffs.

Has he lost the appetite? Does he want away? Who knows, but I did notice last season as well that he wasn't taking on players as much, preferring to pass it on. He used to glyde past players get in a decent ball and had a decent shot in him. He defo had more shots on goal and desperately hungry to do so. It all seems to have went to fuck. He appears to have lost all confidence.

Is it all a coincidence that this remarkable dip in form coincides with the captaincy? Maybe he was honoured and happy to do it in the beginning, but subconsciously a burden now weighing heavily that's now holding him back? Maybe the responsibility as he sees it, is too much for him to shoulder?

Something aint right and it maybe something as simple as the captaincy. LBH, he was never the obvious choice or type for it. Maybe a long talk needed with the gaffer. Free him of it and see how that plays out, because not changing anything is doing him or anyone  else no favours. 

18 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Don't know what it is about Tav. Dug shite for almost four months. Even a bad run of form aint that fucking long ffs.

Has he lost the appetite? Does he want away? Who knows, but I did notice last season as well that he wasn't taking on players as much, preferring to pass it on. He used to glyde past players get in a decent ball and had a decent shot in him. He defo had more shots on goal and desperately hungry to do so. It all seems to have went to fuck. He appears to have lost all confidence.

Is it all a coincidence that this remarkable dip in form coincides with the captaincy? Maybe he was honoured and happy to do it in the beginning, but subconsciously a burden now weighing heavily that's now holding him back? Maybe the responsibility as he sees it, is too much for him to shoulder?

Something aint right and it maybe something as simple as the captaincy. LBH, he was never the obvious choice or type for it. Maybe a long talk needed with the gaffer. Free him of it and see how that plays out, because not changing anything is doing him or anyone  else no favours. 

It's not just his defensive lapses. He crosses into the box are poorer, his shots at goal go sky high over the bar and he's missed two penalties. It's a slump alright!

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Try believng what is in front of your eyes.

Try living in the here and now.

I do.  Tavernier was great during last years Europa group stages.  Instrumental during qualifying too setting up a number of goals including the one away to Osijek.  I’m happy to be proved wrong if you have evidence of that?

13 minutes ago, TMB said:

I do.  Tavernier was great during last years Europa group stages.  Instrumental during qualifying too setting up a number of goals including the one away to Osijek.  I’m happy to be proved wrong if you have evidence of that?

You are talking about last year mate, he is talking about now.

2 hours ago, Smile said:

Out of nine games we still have only lost one and had one draw to put that in perspective last season after nine games we had two losses and two draws we have improved  but we still have that fragility to our team.

Agreed mate I understand completely what you are saying.but we have been lucky in a lot of those games and I know it's results that count but I hate watching any Rangers player not giving their all when wearing the famous blue jersey like Sunday that kind of attitude and mentality from the players will get us nowhere. 

2 hours ago, TMB said:

Gerrard himself said the attacking players didn’t turn up against Hearts.  Even if Hearts get a goal we should have enough midfield to front to at them.  They’re a team struggling badly at the minute and we looked devoid of any creativity midfield to front.

I cannot disagree with any of your post mate. And it is still annoying me why nearly our whole team came out with that attitude on Sunday. They had better make it up to us all starting tomorrow night.

22 minutes ago, TMB said:

I'm not saying he hasn't contributed at all, but he is nowhere near the player he was and his dip in form is way too protracted. Something is just not sitting right with him. Too many things not going right for him, and my guess is the captaincy. In saying that, with Ojo in front of you it doesn't help matters as he never gives the fucking ball back before he loses it.

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

I do wonder if you are right about being captain, but surely if that was the case he would approach Stevie and have the chat that would be needed to sort it out. 

I certainly do agree something is not as it should be, and there must be some reason for his huge drop in form.

What I cannot understand is that if he helped to win us 55 as captain or just a player, he and all of them would be written into the Rangers history and would be remembered for many years to come as the team who won us back the league, what an incentive for any Rangers player. :rangers:

STEVEN GERRARD has given captain James Tavernier his full backing after his recent costly high profile mistakes but insists that nobody is undroppable from his Rangers side.

Tavernier has come in for criticism from supporters following errors in the defeat to Young Boys and draw against Hearts over the last month.

And boss Gerrard has held a heart-to-heart with his skipper ahead of the Europa League clash with Porto this evening.

Gerrard said: “James is well aware that he is in the firing line and I have had a couple of chats with James since the weekend.

“I am going to back him, of course I am. I believe he has got the character and the ability to bounce back and put in a performance. In my chat with him, I asked him to reset and do the basics as well as he can and really get his focus back.

“I am sure if he does that he will be totally fine. I have got no doubts at all as far as James as concerned. But he is aware of being in the firing line, that is life at a big club.

“If you make a couple of errors in a short space of time then you are in the firing line.

“But what he doesn’t need is people who he trusts and the people around him to doubt him because that would be a mistake.

“Nobody is undroppable, but at the same time I am not going to be the type of manager who, when a player makes a couple of mistakes, I stick them in the bin and forget all about them.

“James has got enough in the bank with me and the team and the club and the supporters to know that he will bounce back. I have got no doubt about it and he can go and perform incredibly well.

“That is the belief that I have got in him. It is life in football and if you make a couple of mistakes you are in the firing line. He has to deal with that pressure and we will do our best to help him.”

11 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

STEVEN GERRARD has given captain James Tavernier his full backing after his recent costly high profile mistakes but insists that nobody is undroppable from his Rangers side.

Tavernier has come in for criticism from supporters following errors in the defeat to Young Boys and draw against Hearts over the last month.

And boss Gerrard has held a heart-to-heart with his skipper ahead of the Europa League clash with Porto this evening.

Gerrard said: “James is well aware that he is in the firing line and I have had a couple of chats with James since the weekend.

“I am going to back him, of course I am. I believe he has got the character and the ability to bounce back and put in a performance. In my chat with him, I asked him to reset and do the basics as well as he can and really get his focus back.

“I am sure if he does that he will be totally fine. I have got no doubts at all as far as James as concerned. But he is aware of being in the firing line, that is life at a big club.

“If you make a couple of errors in a short space of time then you are in the firing line.

“But what he doesn’t need is people who he trusts and the people around him to doubt him because that would be a mistake.

“Nobody is undroppable, but at the same time I am not going to be the type of manager who, when a player makes a couple of mistakes, I stick them in the bin and forget all about them.

“James has got enough in the bank with me and the team and the club and the supporters to know that he will bounce back. I have got no doubt about it and he can go and perform incredibly well.

“That is the belief that I have got in him. It is life in football and if you make a couple of mistakes you are in the firing line. He has to deal with that pressure and we will do our best to help him.”

The bit in bold is almost contradicting itself. If he can back him after recent performances then he pretty much is undroppable.

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

That's a sensible position from the gaffer.

Unless you're seeing a noticeable drop in confidence in training after a couple or errors, no matter if they've resulted in goals conceded, you can't drop somebody who's integral to the overall performance of the team. Particularly when he's a guy who's scored 20 goals and contributed 28 assists over the last 2 seasons to date.

Archived