Welcome back Tavernier

GOAT

Just now, Cedrick said:

You got tonight what Flanagan gives , a steady performance, it’s like coming out that game in shock kamara didn’t beat 3 men and score , he never does so why would he tonight 

Steady?  Constant fouling before he was booked and miscontrolled the baw about four times including twice in the space of seconds.  God forbid if Tav or Barasic are ever out long term.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cedrick said:

You got tonight what Flanagan gives , a steady performance, it’s like coming out that game in shock kamara didn’t beat 3 men and score , he never does so why would he tonight 

Steady performance?

Against a team who hardly attacked us for the entire 90mins he committed multiple fouls, got caught wrong side defensively on a number of occasions and we were as well being a man short going forward with him a RB.

I counted at least 6 attempted crosses that either didnt get off the floor or floated aimlessly over Defoe and co's heads.

We badly miss Tav, or even another fullback of a similar style to him, it will be a miracle if Flanno doesnt cost us these next couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, Del said:

Steady performance?

Against a team who hardly attacked us for the entire 90mins he committed multiple fouls, got caught wrong side defensively on a number of occasions and we were as well being a man short going forward with him a RB.

I counted at least 6 attempted crosses that either didnt get off the floor or floated aimlessly over Defoe and co's heads.

We badly miss Tav, or even another fullback of a similar style to him, it will be a miracle if Flanno doesnt cost us these next couple of weeks.

No offence mate but your picking on flanagans crossing, how many of tavs actually hit a Rangers player as well, especially when it's 3v1 not in our favour in the box

Last night after 5mins we seen that st mirren didnt care about our fullbacks, as long as they flooded the centre of the pitch and had 3 centre halves marking defoe they were comfortable, i cannot believe that gerrard didnt try change it, 

Last night we never once isolated a man and took him on, hardly ever made a drive towards their box, we barely had them turning towards their own goal to defend, 

Its worrying that a lot of the post match talk id of how our backup right back didnt perform after being out for months, yet davis, kamara, jack, 7mill kent, aribo all get a "get out of jail free card" for that tepid shite last night 

Flanagan was meh.

He gave away silly fouls and got a deserved booking. He didnt really look exposed defensively.

Attacking wise St M left him alone until he got the ball then went one v one. They knew he's never taking a man on, he didnt, it was safe balls inside or back each time. On our left, they put an extra man v Kent and Borna as both can attack.

His crossing was pretty poor and most blocked by 1st man. Our goal came from just about his only decent cross and although it was cleared it was into a dangerous area and broke to Borna for his assist.

1st half he made a few decoy runs that kind of took a man away from the guy in possession. He never looked like he wanted it doing the run, I even seen him gesturing to Aribo to take the ball into space behind him rather than pass to him 😂.

As I said, pretty meh. Flanagans strength is facing teams who want to attack us, ie scum or Europe away, not games we dominate the ball and definitely not against teams intent on sitting in.

He tried last night to do what was asked of him and wasn't really in his locker. It didnt really come off, not for a lack of effort, but for me it damaged our style last night to prepare him for Hearts. When I'm not really so sure we'll be hugely defensive and need his skill set either.

7 hours ago, Del said:

Steady performance?

Wouldn’t have counted the poor corners and crosses Barisic put in last night though , just the Rangers support way has to be people in the team that get slaughtered no matter what, Flanagan is one of them 

7 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No offence mate but your picking on flanagans crossing, how many of tavs actually hit a Rangers player as well, especially when it's 3v1 not in our favour in the box

Last night after 5mins we seen that st mirren didnt care about our fullbacks, as long as they flooded the centre of the pitch and had 3 centre halves marking defoe they were comfortable, i cannot believe that gerrard didnt try change it, 

Last night we never once isolated a man and took him on, hardly ever made a drive towards their box, we barely had them turning towards their own goal to defend, 

Its worrying that a lot of the post match talk id of how our backup right back didnt perform after being out for months, yet davis, kamara, jack, 7mill kent, aribo all get a "get out of jail free card" for that tepid shite last night 

Im picking out an obvious flaw in his performance/ability as we rely heavily on quality balls in from the full back positions. Tav might not put a good ball in every time but he also the highest number of crosses attempted and cross completion % in the entire SPFL the last 2 season, so it must be pretty good!

Never mind after 5mins, you knew before kick off exactly what they would try and do, their manager and our manager said as much, that would "park 2 buses" but I dont agree that they didnt care about our fullbacks, they had 2 men on Barasic and Kent everytime they got the ball on the left.

As for Gerrard changing it, what should he have changed?

It might not have been pretty but we dominated the ball, mostly in their half and had 17 shots at goal (5 on target), aye we gave the ball away a lot and let attacks break down by being too sloppy but I dont see what else we could have done to change the game?

For me the right back position is the only worry we have, maybe you could look at some players current form, but the full back position is the focus because as I have said before on here, attacking down the right side, playing out on the right side, is our foundation and go to method of attack. And without Tav or a player in a similar mould to him we are toothless on that right hand side. You could hear the St Mirren players shouting at each other to tuck in and follow Aribo and leave Flanno, which made it even more difficult for us, there is no way they would have done that with Tav/another attacking minded FB there.

4 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Flanagan was meh.

He gave away silly fouls and got a deserved booking. He didnt really look exposed defensively.

Attacking wise St M left him alone until he got the ball then went one v one. They knew he's never taking a man on, he didnt, it was safe balls inside or back each time. On our left, they put an extra man v Kent and Borna as both can attack.

His crossing was pretty poor and most blocked by 1st man. Our goal came from just about his only decent cross and although it was cleared it was into a dangerous area and broke to Borna for his assist.

1st half he made a few decoy runs that kind of took a man away from the guy in possession. He never looked like he wanted it doing the run, I even seen him gesturing to Aribo to take the ball into space behind him rather than pass to him 😂.

As I said, pretty meh. Flanagans strength is facing teams who want to attack us, ie scum or Europe away, not games we dominate the ball and definitely not against teams intent on sitting in.

He tried last night to do what was asked of him and wasn't really in his locker. It didnt really come off, not for a lack of effort, but for me it damaged our style last night to prepare him for Hearts. When I'm not really so sure we'll be hugely defensive and need his skill set either.

I wish I had seen this post before I typed mine, would have saved me a job! 

I dont even think he is up to it defensively, as you and others have said, St Mirren only attacked a few times/if at all, but he didnt look comfortable and got caught out  2-3 times and ended up fouling folk.

Hearts played out a 0-0 draw last night at Ross County without getting a shot on target, they will obviously turn it up a gear for us, but I think we would be better playing a more attacking minded player, if that is the young boy then so be it, over Flanagan. 

6 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Every ball Barisic put in last night in the first half went to a Rangers player lol we should’ve scored from 3 of his corners

Yet not so long ago he was the RM whipping boy who was a shitebag and could do nothing right.  

Flanagan now getting pelters cause he got booked as did young Nathan versus Stranraer.   

I have no issues playin Patterson vs Hearts but thats a decision for SG who works with these players everyday .  If he does play he will push forward and there will be space behind him for Hearts to exploit just as we did when Pingpong pushed forward for the taigs against us.   

For me Flanagan wasn't our prob lastnight,it was our inability to link up wi Defoe.Most of our play stopped at the 18 yard line only for the ball to be recycled to do the same again.Something needs changed in our setup to make Defoe more dangerous,lastnight he was running around like a headless chicken,getting very little service,if any.

12 minutes ago, Blumhoilann said:

For me Flanagan wasn't our prob lastnight,it was our inability to link up wi Defoe.Most of our play stopped at the 18 yard line only for the ball to be recycled to do the same again.Something needs changed in our setup to make Defoe more dangerous,lastnight he was running around like a headless chicken,getting very little service,if any.

Good post mate.......... agree with all of this............we also missed Alfie's ability to make something out of nothing last night too. Need the wee man back in the team asap.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Flanagan was better than a lot of players out there last night.

Agreed, he wasn't our main problem but he didn't offer much either, particularly in an attacking sense.

Last nights team and tactics are fine against a team that attacks but not suitable against a team that parks the bus.

Our 3 midfielders are good players but all very similar and none of then naturally get into the oppositions box.

Aribos been playing well in the more advanced role but against defensive teams he's not as effective as he needs space to run into. 

Defoes too lightweight to be upfront alone.

Kent's playing narrow which means he's crowded out.

Against defensive teams, one of our midfield 3 should be attack minded, Arfield or Aribo.

Kent should vary his play by going wide more often and attacking the full back.

I like Stewart when Defoe plays, as he's got a physical presence but we have options in Jones, Barker and Ojo.

Basically we need 4 players who are naturally attack minded against defensive teams instead of the 2 we had in last night's team.

He is not the worst but it does highlight further the weakness on  the right wing. With Flannagan at rb we really need a decent right winger to supply an attacking threat. His crossing is poor. With the current squad and set up, we need tav back asap to bolster our 55 chance.

4 minutes ago, BookWorm said:

He is not the worst but it does highlight further the weakness on  the right wing. With Flannagan at rb we really need a decent right winger to supply an attacking threat. His crossing is poor. With the current squad and set up, we need tav back asap to bolster our 55 chance.

Think if we’re going to play the 3 of Davis, Kamara and Jack then we may as well play Patterson and let him bomb up and down the right, with those 3 the cover is there and gets us extra width 

18 hours ago, GOAT said:

How did Flanagan manage to get capped for England. 

He was one of the best English fullbacks at the time. Think he just missed out on the World Cup squad because Baines and Shaw were on good form.

Tav got it tight on here for the first three months of the season because of his poor crossing before he improved in November & December. Flanagan's crossing was even worse last night and deserves any criticism he gets in an attacking sense. Flanno can play better defensively than he did last night and I hope it begins on Sunday because last night he was bang average (as were many others).

3 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He wasn't but as soon as the team was announced last night I would've put money on him getting slated on here regardless.

Spot on it was a racing certainly - and he was far from the worst player in the team, the three in midfield were terrible last night

Archived