A Number 10 - Do we need one?

TMB

57 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He was never an out and out striker though. If he did play in a front two it was always withdrawn behind someone else: Zamorano, Anelka, Ronaldo, van Nistelrooy - in addition to the ones I had mentioned before.

I’m pretty sure Raúl also had a higher assist ratio than Totti did, for example, in his career. His playmaking abilities have always been overshadowed by his goal scoring.

Agree to disagree mate. There's a 3/4 year gap between Zamorano leaving them and Morientes, Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy beginning to arrive where Raul was at Madrid with Suker and Morientes and in those seasons he was playing more and scoring more than both.

He played deeper at some points of his career but he was a striker first and foremost. You're examples were better than David Turnbull though :lol:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BookWorm said:

O, I did not know that, I thought he was still recovering from an injury. I am a bit behind the times. Still, I think he could have fitted a no 10 role.

Jamie Murphy trains with the first team every day (including this morning). This indicates he is far from finished and on the fringe of returning.

2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Murphy has ability but can't see him being anything more than a squad option for us.

No one knows what he is like these days because we don't watch training sessions. But If he is close to his old self, he is better than the majority of our forwards. If he was totally done, he would have bee shown the door like Dorrans was.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

No one knows what he is like these days because we don't watch training sessions. But If he is close to his old self, he is better than the majority of our forwards. If he was totally done, he would have bee shown the door like Dorrans was.

I don't think he's totally done. I think he'll be a squad option.

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I don't think he's totally done. I think he'll be a squad option.

Yes. I can see that being the option made all the harder for regular game time with the return of Kent who I think is the perfect #10.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

I seen Pep apologising to him for lack of game time last week.

He’s exactly the type of player we need.

Agreed mate. I hope Aribo turns into the player that can drive from midfield and create but I think it will take time.  Foden is exactly that player.

5 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

In a discussing the number 10 role, the example you use to explain it to someone who doesn't get it is David fucking Turnbull? :lol:

Admittedly, I didn't watch any of Motherwell's games last season.  I assumed Turnbull played behind the striker in that number 10 role.  

The thread has become a discussion in to exactly what a number 10 is which I didn't expect.  In my mind it's someone who plays centrally, behind the striker, looks to support the striker and score goals.  

17 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Arfield does that job brilliantly, pity gerrard fucks him out wide and ruins him

Arfield is being bumped out wide -

1. due to the sale of Candeias

2. So we can accommodate Jack/Davis/Aribo/Kamara

3. We are top heavy in the middle and are now bending the shape to accommodate players/Shouldn’t have sold Candeias - Selling Candeias has had an affect on Tav both attacking wise and defending wise  

4. We miss Candeias pace both on the counter and doubling back to help out Tav.....

5. Arfield could play the role but who plays right wing then?

MacGregor

Goldson                     Katic                    Barisic

Davis

Tav                              Jack                     Aribo                        Kent

Arfield

Morelos

4 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

MacGregor

Goldson                     Katic                    Barisic

Davis

Tav                              Jack                     Aribo                        Kent

Arfield

Morelos

I like it. More of a rugby feel to it and might leave us a little open in the other half of the pitch but fuck it, let's give it a try. 

10 hours ago, TMB said:

Admittedly, I didn't watch any of Motherwell's games last season.  I assumed Turnbull played behind the striker in that number 10 role.  

The thread has become a discussion in to exactly what a number 10 is which I didn't expect.  In my mind it's someone who plays centrally, behind the striker, looks to support the striker and score goals.  

I wasn't saying Turnbull doesn't play that role because I don't know if he does tbf.

It was just surprised that, of all the names you could choose to explain what you're idea of a number 10 is, you chose him :lol:

On 05/10/2019 at 08:56, pcbear said:

What is the definition of a 10? 

Brilliant question. Seems there are many interpretations. 

Hateley was rightly mentioned as 10. But that was football of 25years ago when 442 was the go to formation for most sides. 

These days of more tactical formations the no10 has changed. My interpretation of no10 would be the attacking midfielder playing between the striker and the rest of midfield. 

I think we can forget about somebody in this role. This type of player playing for us and the way teams domestically line up against us would need to be exceptional therefore outwith our budget. 

However if we get our best 11 on the pitch we have players like, Kent, Aribo Arfield and maybe even Davis who can share a floating no10 role 

Saying that given the choice I would far rather have the 3 to 5 in midfield that are equally comfortable with passing moving and tackling than having the more predictable no10 playing in front of a more rigid midfield. 

32 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Brilliant question. Seems there are many interpretations. 

Hateley was rightly mentioned as 10. But that was football of 25years ago when 442 was the go to formation for most sides. 

These days of more tactical formations the no10 has changed. My interpretation of no10 would be the attacking midfielder playing between the striker and the rest of midfield. 

I think we can forget about somebody in this role. This type of player playing for us and the way teams domestically line up against us would need to be exceptional therefore outwith our budget. 

However if we get our best 11 on the pitch we have players like, Kent, Aribo Arfield and maybe even Davis who can share a floating no10 role 

Saying that given the choice I would far rather have the 3 to 5 in midfield that are equally comfortable with passing moving and tackling than having the more predictable no10 playing in front of a more rigid midfield. 

In my head when I hear number 10 mentioned I always think "luxury player" unless you are top drawer like Riquelme (sp) who played against us for Villareal or Mendieta (Valencia) or the wee Portuguese guy who played for Chelsea whose name escapes me, you can't manufacture that ability from raw materials.

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

In my head when I hear number 10 mentioned I always think "luxury player" unless you are top drawer like Riquelme (sp) who played against us for Villareal or Mendieta (Valencia) or the wee Portuguese guy who played for Chelsea whose name escapes me, you can't manufacture that ability from raw materials.

Riquelme is perfect example of number 10,absolute dream of a player 

Deco is the one ur thinking of that played with chelsea ?

4 minutes ago, Steelydan1690 said:

Riquelme is perfect example of number 10,absolute dream of a player 

Deco is the one ur thinking of that played with chelsea ?

Yes that's the one, similar to Riquelme but not quite as good.

28 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Deco 

4 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I wasn't saying Turnbull doesn't play that role because I don't know if he does tbf.

It was just surprised that, of all the names you could choose to explain what you're idea of a number 10 is, you chose him :lol:

Why not him?  A number 10 that plays in our own league.  As good an example as any.

Archived