Fifty years ago yesterday

The Widow's Son

6 hours ago, glasgow argyle said:

Derek Johnstone 2 & Derek Parlane 1 second half scorers facing the old Rangers end terracing .magic. I hope you never spilt your beers.

For the record I am pretty sure I saw Gordon Smith score 2 not DJ.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Eck_M said:

For the record I am pretty sure I saw Gordon Smith score 2 not DJ.

I think you might be correct.  Smith 2 & D.J. 1 goal.  Parlane went off injured and didn't score. But my memory isn't what it used to be. I think the big Icelandic Edvallson scored the septic goals. 

3 hours ago, glasgow argyle said:

I think you might be correct.  Smith 2 & D.J. 1 goal.  Parlane went off injured and didn't score. But my memory isn't what it used to be. I think the big Icelandic Edvallson scored the septic goals. 

Spot on.  DJ moved from CB to CF at HT because Parlane went off. Without the injury that change might never have happened and the result could have been different. That said I have a vivid recollection that the HT score line flattered them and we felt if we got an early goal in the second half we could turn it round. Not sure if that is a false memory formed from what actually happened or blind optimism  at the time.  

16 hours ago, Brubear said:

Spot on.  DJ moved from CB to CF at HT because Parlane went off. Without the injury that change might never have happened and the result could have been different. That said I have a vivid recollection that the HT score line flattered them and we felt if we got an early goal in the second half we could turn it round. Not sure if that is a false memory formed from what actually happened or blind optimism  at the time.  

Did some digging in the excellent Rangers 1872-2019 Results EXCEL:

• Mhanks - Edvaldsson - 18 & 31
  • Bears - Smith 53 & 81, Johnstone 64
  • DP broke his jaw in the 1st min (must admit didnae remember that)

On 12/10/2019 at 10:56, The Widow's Son said:

Saturday, October 11th, 1969.  Windswept with drizzle, Rangers vs. Hibs at Ibrox.  Peter Marinello scored twice and tore us a new one as Hibs won 3-1.  I think Joe McBride scored the third.  Norrie Martin's last game for the Rangers.  Were you there?  I was.  Wonder what ever happened to Peter Marinello?

I was at that game we were well beaten that day . Hibs played Marinello ,a winger ,at Centre forward , Joe McBride ,a centre forward, out on right wing. They generally completely confused Rangers that day. From memory we had an attendance of 60k . The Hibs team of that period was probably the best they have had in my lifetime.

On 13/10/2019 at 10:07, bgally said:

Remember when we bought him ? We slaughtered  Stenhousemuir 5- 0 away and a week or 2 later buy their goalie

Follow week they played and beat us at Ibrox ,a game I was at, after that we signed him. He had one great season in the first team then had a disaster of a game for Scotland at Wembley . He was never the same player,the papers hammered him. 

Archived