How good was Peter McCloy?

The Widow's Son

Reading some responses to my earlier post ("Fifty years ago yesterday"), there were some posts about Peter McCloy.  I only saw him a few times over the years but recall him as a capable and  competent custodian.  Not sure if he was ever capped for Scotland but I think that I saw him once in a friendly with Brazil at Hampden.  If any of our statisticians are reading, perhaps they can cite his record with clean sheets.  He certainly lasted a long time for a goalkeeper, over fifteen years or so. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most memorable moment for me was againt St Mirren when a high ball was punted towards him. No pressure, no opposition players near him when he held out two hands to catch it and the ball went straight through them, bounced and hit him under the chin.😜  As others have said competent but made some howlers. Lucky he had a great defence in front of him most of the time.

24 minutes ago, glasgow argyle said:

Nowhere near the standard of Goram, Woods, Klos, McGregor. Decent but prone to some bizarre errors. 

:tu:

Have to agree with you on that account regarding standard of player ...... but it was a very different role the goalkeeper had to play back then with no protection from the officials as there was no rules laid out to protect goalies then.

Not sure that any of the ones you compared Big Peter with could have stood the punishment keepers got before the rules changed ..... Peter was no worse than any of the others of that era ... and he had his moments or he would not have been our number one choice ...... the whole team was of a different standard back then .... and they did bring home the ECWC from Barcelona to their credit with Big Peter between the sticks ..... that achievement alone makes him stand out as a winner and he deserves to be remembered as such.

:UK:

33 minutes ago, Bristoe1872 said:

Had one of the highest and longest kick outs I can remember.  Lost count of the amount of goals we scored with DJ latching onto one of his kick outs. One against Murder well in a cup semi we were losing stands out. 

That is mere consolation for the amount of big games he cost us 

Having grown up in the 70s and seen hundreds of them. Let me say he was responsible for breaking my heart on many occasions 

Nice big guy, but nowadays. Would never have got a game. He was as slow as the lights going round in his  girvan lighthouse 

Off the top of my head 

Few tankings up at Pittodrie 

He spilled the ball to Archibald in dyings moments in game we lost 3-2 78/79 i think 

79 CHAMPIONSHIP DECIDER where he was absolutely shocking when we only needed a draw 

80 cup final where he sat on his arse too early as their winner took deflection and the ball trundled in to break my heart. This one was painful

83 MCCOIST OF first minute goal game. He spilled the ball near the death to give bheasts a win they did not deserve 

Long long list if i could be arsed finding them 

42 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

That is mere consolation for the amount of big games he cost us 

Having grown up in the 70s and seen hundreds of them. Let me say he was responsible for breaking my heart on many occasions 

Nice big guy, but nowadays. Would never have got a game. He was as slow as the lights going round in his  girvan lighthouse 

Off the top of my head 

Few tankings up at Pittodrie 

He spilled the ball to Archibald in dyings moments in game we lost 3-2 78/79 i think 

79 CHAMPIONSHIP DECIDER where he was absolutely shocking when we only needed a draw 

80 cup final where he sat on his arse too early as their winner took deflection and the ball trundled in to break my heart. This one was painful

83 MCCOIST OF first minute goal game. He spilled the ball near the death to give bheasts a win they did not deserve 

Long long list if i could be arsed finding them 

Even though he was in our ECWC team this is how I mostly remember him.

He wasn’t a keeper I can say I had a lot of confidence in.  I remember when Stewart Kennedy came in we thought we had someone consistent but Wembley finished him. The difference between those two and Chris Woods was night and day, when he came we finally had a keeper you expected to concede nothing no matter  who we were playing.

32 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Even though he was in our ECWC team this is how I mostly remember him.

His long kick outs back then were a weapon. Even in the final . Bud latched on to his punt beginning of second half that put us 3 up

I can remember us winnning a never to be forgotten SC SF where we were 2-0 down at HT against a Well team that fucked the scum out previous round in 76  and his kick outs turned the game our way in high drama near the end 

However for every one of these. There were many games where, if Gers had better keeper. We would have won many more trophies and OF games 

2 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

I think that I saw him once in a friendly with Brazil at Hampden.  

Not one of the Rangers great Gk's , however a good number of gk's came and went while Peter was at Rangers, so he seemed to be quite resilient, I think the one that eventually replaced him and took the first team jersey was Jim Stewart whom we bought from Middlesboro' for £100,000.

Here he is in the infamous Queens Park Green Jersey escapade walking on to the pitch in that game.

The  Scotland strip was dark blue,  obviously, with the GK jersey yellow, but he couldn't wear it as Brazil were in yellow, he couldn't wear the Scotland change GK jersey as it was red but the ref and linesmen were in red as they couldn't wear black because it clashed with the Scotland strip so the only solution was to borrow a green GK jersey from Queens Park resplendent with the big Queens Park badge.

scotland-v-brazil-international-friendly-at-hampden-park-glasgow-30th-ENHK14.thumb.jpg.b0e8aced70247a87aa97b6a27643c59c.jpg

I can remember his first games for us, he took over from Gerry Neef in the 69-70 season. We were still in with a shout to stop the Mhanks winning 5 in a row but managed to go on a dire run at the end of the season. We only won 1 of our last 8 league games, big Peter played in 7 of them and we could not manage a single clean sheet. Not saying he was to blame but was far from an auspicious start.

Archived