How good was Peter McCloy?

The Widow's Son

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mearns loyal said:

Seem to remember him swinging from the crossbar at Hampden as one of his bizarre ones ...

yep was at that game  --- but In fairness played a not insignificant role in our ECWC success for which I'll be eternally grateful 

Recall he did that crossbar trick at Love Street once as well 

Scratch golfer as well. 

8 hours ago, Bristoe1872 said:

Had one of the highest and longest kick outs I can remember.  Lost count of the amount of goals we scored with DJ latching onto one of his kick outs. One against Murder well in a cup semi we were losing stands out. 

Andy Goram used the same technique with Hateley  and McCoist... The PFG.. Punt.. Flick.. Goal 

I remember being at the piggery for a cup game v Aberdeen. They dominated us but the big Gas Meter saved everything. Then big DJ scored and won us the game.

He might have let in the odd daft goal but his kickouts assisted more than a few goals and his on form performances won us a lot of games 

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

yep was at that game  --- but In fairness played a not insignificant role in our ECWC success for which I'll be eternally grateful 

Recall he did that crossbar trick at Love Street once as well 

Scratch golfer as well. 

Didn’t he beat Bud Johnston over 100m as well?

4 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

Apparently Kennedy played with an injury, was hung out to dry after taking an injection to play. Could be urban myth but he was shocking that day

I disagree.  The only goal where  Kennedy probably should have done better was the 3rd.      He was pilloried by the media when the central defence was posted missing.   He had been excellent for us until that game.

16 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I disagree.  The only goal where  Kennedy probably should have done better was the 3rd.      He was pilloried by the media when the central defence was posted missing.   He had been excellent for us until that game.

To be fair I was 8 I remember him doing an Alan rough special watching Trevor Cherry's shot flying into the net with hardly any attempt to saves it. 

1 minute ago, dummiesoot said:

To be fair I was 8 I remember him doing an Alan rough special watching Trevor Cherry's shot flying into the net with hardly any attempt to saves it. 

Gerry Francis is the guy you are thinking about.  He scored 2.

The 1st was a cracking shot which went in the top corner.    The 2nd was a bit of a fluke from a header which looped up and again into the top corner.   The 3rd Kennedy should probably have done better although it wasn't a bad shot.  The 4th  was deflected and went in off a post.   The 5th the defence was totally lost and Kennedy saved the first effort brilliantly onto the bar  but after a melee in the box where the England players got in the way of each other it was fired into the net.  If you watch a replay of the last goal our defenders stand still throughout.

8 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I very much doubt that mate.  Wee Bud was greased lightning.

Old Rangers News article, I’m pretty certain PM beat Bud in a sprint. I know Bud ran inthe Powderhall Sprints and was regarded as the fastest in Scotland but that’s my recollection.

20 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

16 years and something like 400 games at Rangers. He must've been better than some folk remember :happy:

Different climate mate . Loyalty was something that was important back then . Big peter was very likeable guy amongst the players then .

John Greig clearly liked him . And you were right about the sheep game at bheastville . One of my all time favourite games . Place was absolute bedlam when we won that game with a Dj blasting in a thing of beauty . He turned Gerd Muller style and blasted in to the bottom corner . I was in the old jungle that day . Place went mental . In those days we were very much underdogs against the sheep .

However major heartbreak was around the corner  in the riot final which we lost

43 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

16 years and something like 400 games at Rangers. He must've been better than some folk remember :happy:

Definitely better than Ally Maxwell and Jim Stewart, though that's not saying much. I mind Stewart's debut at ibrox where he shipped four v Dundee utd , very poor goalie.. McCloy was decent, struggled to get down low but his kicking and command of high balls were great assets.

Back to the original topic and some facts on Big Peter (courtesy of the  Rangers F.C. Hall of Fame):

• 535 games
  • 1 League Championship
  • 4 Scottish Cups
  • 4 League Cups
  • The icing on the cake - 1 E.C.W.C.

On 14/10/2019 at 12:19, The Widow's Son said:

Reading some responses to my earlier post ("Fifty years ago yesterday"), there were some posts about Peter McCloy.  I only saw him a few times over the years but recall him as a capable and  competent custodian.  Not sure if he was ever capped for Scotland but I think that I saw him once in a friendly with Brazil at Hampden.  If any of our statisticians are reading, perhaps they can cite his record with clean sheets.  He certainly lasted a long time for a goalkeeper, over fifteen years or so. 

A good loyal Protestant.🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧 Good enough for me.

He was a good keeper, too!

Archived