How good was Peter McCloy?

The Widow's Son

18 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I disagree.  The only goal where  Kennedy probably should have done better was the 3rd.      He was pilloried by the media when the central defence was posted missing.   He had been excellent for us until that game.

wasnt billy mcneil  frank munro with bobby murdoch allin our defence?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

There are many times mate . I wish he had been a beggar keeper for the amount of time he was with us

Good post though .

mind that game we were giving peter stick for his green jersey and this clown wanted to sort us out   5 of us 1 of him.

On 14/10/2019 at 13:17, eejay the dj said:

That is mere consolation for the amount of big games he cost us 

Having grown up in the 70s and seen hundreds of them. Let me say he was responsible for breaking my heart on many occasions 

Nice big guy, but nowadays. Would never have got a game. He was as slow as the lights going round in his  girvan lighthouse 

Off the top of my head 

Few tankings up at Pittodrie 

He spilled the ball to Archibald in dyings moments in game we lost 3-2 78/79 i think 

79 CHAMPIONSHIP DECIDER where he was absolutely shocking when we only needed a draw 

80 cup final where he sat on his arse too early as their winner took deflection and the ball trundled in to break my heart. This one was painful

83 MCCOIST OF first minute goal game. He spilled the ball near the death to give bheasts a win they did not deserve 

Long long list if i could be arsed finding them 

His long ball that took one bounce and big dj scored in a Scottish cup semi against Motherwell if I remember correctly ? Think it was the winning goal could be wrong though lol.

25 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

His long ball that took one bounce and big dj scored in a Scottish cup semi against Motherwell if I remember correctly ? Think it was the winning goal could be wrong though lol.

Yes it was an amazing night mate . We went on to beat Hearts in Final in 76. My first final as a wee boy . Skipped off on my tod, as my Mum wouldn't let my go with my older  brother

Will never forget being outside the ground myself  . And grown men lifting me up and passing me along the line to get in free .

Then inside the ground . Bottles and full cans of piss flying past my ears . Loved it back then

People forget this was almost a come back from the dead . We were getting a tanking first half from a very  dominant Motherwell . It looked like treble hopes had gone.

Big Dj and McCloys kick outs saved this one to be fair

3 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

wasnt billy mcneil  frank munro with bobby murdoch allin our defence?

Eh ????  Are you on drugs?  That lot were  10 year previous   And murdoch was a midfielder  never ever played in defence

On 14/10/2019 at 14:04, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

Have to agree with you on that account regarding standard of player ...... but it was a very different role the goalkeeper had to play back then with no protection from the officials as there was no rules laid out to protect goalies then.

Not sure that any of the ones you compared Big Peter with could have stood the punishment keepers got before the rules changed ..... Peter was no worse than any of the others of that era ... and he had his moments or he would not have been our number one choice ...... the whole team was of a different standard back then .... and they did bring home the ECWC from Barcelona to their credit with Big Peter between the sticks ..... that achievement alone makes him stand out as a winner and he deserves to be remembered as such.

:UK:

Great post 

On 14/10/2019 at 13:04, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

Have to agree with you on that account regarding standard of player ...... but it was a very different role the goalkeeper had to play back then with no protection from the officials as there was no rules laid out to protect goalies then.

Not sure that any of the ones you compared Big Peter with could have stood the punishment keepers got before the rules changed.

:UK:

Have to disagree Bobby. 😜 Big Peter had the best protection in the game. Not from the officials as you say, but from a Mr J Greig who was known to lay anyone out who went through the keeper.😁

On 14/10/2019 at 12:23, glasgow argyle said:

Nowhere near the standard of Goram, Woods, Klos, McGregor. Decent but prone to some bizarre errors. 

No intention of taking anything away from the big man, as others point out he was with us a long time, therefore not a bad keeper and will of course be remembered as part of European cup winners cup team of 72. But my original point is we have had quite a few better goalkeepers since still stands.

On 15/10/2019 at 18:28, eejay the dj said:

Yes it was an amazing night mate . We went on to beat Hearts in Final in 76. My first final as a wee boy . Skipped off on my tod, as my Mum wouldn't let my go with my older  brother

Will never forget being outside the ground myself  . And grown men lifting me up and passing me along the line to get in free .

Then inside the ground . Bottles and full cans of piss flying past my ears . Loved it back then

People forget this was almost a come back from the dead . We were getting a tanking first half from a very  dominant Motherwell . It looked like treble hopes had gone.

Big Dj and McCloys kick outs saved this one to be fair

The good old days mate also met big Peter and the rest of the team up in Montrose before a game. And every one of them took time out for a chat and to sign autographs. You might remember that game where we were all standing in line with the goal posts. Then ran on the park every time we scored. 

33 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

The good old days mate also met big Peter and the rest of the team up in Montrose before a game. And every one of them took time out for a chat and to sign autographs. You might remember that game where we were all standing in line with the goal posts. Then ran on the park every time we scored. 

5-3 at Fir park . classic I was in the old shed and it was bedlam that day as well . Young ones just can't imagine how amazing it was back in those days

Had many a "Chat" with big Peter as a boy(Mostly being told to move), Kennedy was keeping him out of the team so he played for the reserves and they played in the Albion if they couldn't use the stadium, I used to stand next to his post(A square one) and he kept moving me away. I also used to "Dog" the school to go and watch them training. A big dumpling maybe, but a hero of mine.

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

5-3 at Fir park . classic I was in the old shed and it was bedlam that day as well . Young ones just can't imagine how amazing it was back in those days

Correct mate just found an article about the game I was on about it was in 1976 links park and it mentioned the gers fans invading the pitch when parlane scored I was one of those young excited bears. And if I remember right It showed us all on the park on the Sunday on scotsport. 

45 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

Had many a "Chat" with big Peter as a boy(Mostly being told to move), Kennedy was keeping him out of the team so he played for the reserves and they played in the Albion if they couldn't use the stadium, I used to stand next to his post(A square one) and he kept moving me away. I also used to "Dog" the school to go and watch them training. A big dumpling maybe, but a hero of mine.

Haha made me laugh mate I used to dog school and go to watch them training in the Albion many a time. Had a right laugh especially when big jock was the manager he didn't give a fuck who was there he was still shouting and bawling at all the players. 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

Were we being beaten by a few then DJ scored a hat trick and plenty terrace scrapping going on, or did I dream that?

1978 Motherwell 3 Rangers 5 just found it on youtube😀 proper fitba

38 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Were we being beaten by a few then DJ scored a hat trick and plenty terrace scrapping going on, or did I dream that?

1978 Motherwell 3 Rangers 5 just found it on youtube😀 proper fitba

Just watched that. Superb.

Archived