Rangers - alleged cover up - BBC rebutted by club

RangersMedia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50087600

This needs investigating as a matter of urgency. 

- updated with statement from the club:

‘BBC Scotland’s reporting on these horrific incidents and, in particular, its sensationalist and unfair accusation of a cover up by Rangers is disgraceful.

'Rangers based its prior description as to what occurred on trusted first-hand accounts from those with personal knowledge of what took place and the appropriate steps taken at that time. To suggest, as BBC Scotland’s Mark Daly has done, that these are invalidated by a short, filler piece in the Rangers News written almost 30 years ago by someone who clearly had no knowledge of the events, or the reasons for Neely’s sacking is nonsense. Indeed, it is shameful.

'BBC Scotland has a history of inaccurate reporting when commenting on Rangers and a string of apologies given to Rangers by BBC Scotland in recent times is clear evidence of this. However, on a matter of such gravity we do not think it is unreasonable to expect better than Mr Daly’s report.

'The important people here are the victims of abuse and we owe it to them to deal sensitively and supportively with the issues they raise.

'Rangers will do all it can to assist in offering support and counselling to anyone affected. Their wellbeing should be at the centre of every right thinking person’s concern.’

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Just heard that on the tv, cunts trying to drag us down along with them.

Wonder what the complaint’s after or who’s working them

It would appear the complainant is after money because according to the article he is pursuing a claim against Rangers.  

4 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Just heard that on the tv, cunts trying to drag us down along with them.

Wonder what the complaint’s after or who’s working them

He is suing Rangers and if this is a legitimate claim we need to be sincerely apologising to him and compensating him

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

So we sacked him for threatening to spank a 14 year old. 

Whether we phoned the police or not they wouldn’t have done anything  

This is a new low for the BBC. 

Threatening to spank a 14 year old? Really? You'd be ok with a coach telling your 14 year old to drop their pants? 

This is absolutely fuck all to do with those cunts on the other side of this city ffs. This is a very, very serious accusation that we covered up paedophilia at our football club 

The BBC web site article about Gordon Neely alleges that RFC covered up his abuse.   Now let me say at the outset that such abuse is disgusting and the perpetrators should be punished  in a way far more severe than is currently legal.     However, the way the BBC has reported this is deliberately trying to show up the Club in a bad light.  When you read the actual story the truth is considerably different to the headlines.     A youngster alleged abuse by Neely and Rangers sacked him immediately.   Rangers had no prior knowledge of Neely's behaviour but sacked him anyway.   If the boy and his parents weren't happy at that outcome then why didn't they take it further at the time?     

Can I suggest moving this to general sports. Whilst its Rangers related, its fundamentally wrong to discuss it in the main, most visited section of the forum when we aren't allowed to debate the rest of the country's abuse in here too. It would be like doing the haters work for them.

That's not to say I want it covered up, or dont want the truth  to prevail. Any complicit club or individual should be hammered for their actions if proven. Which an independent enquiry has more chance of uncovering than a joke sfa one.

So let's debate away, but lets do it where the other debate is then the paedo lurkers and journalists can see the full discussion.

Edit: if it wanted, this is the time for the club to speak out about this and other allegations and convictions and demand independent review countrywide.

8 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Threatening to or did ? Did he actually do anything physical ?

4 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

The BBC web site article about Gordon Neely alleges that RFC covered up his abuse.   Now let me say at the outset that such abuse is disgusting and the perpetrators should be punished  in a way far more severe than is currently legal.     However, the way the BBC has reported this is deliberately trying to show up the Club in a bad light.  When you read the actual story the truth is considerably different to the headlines.     A youngster alleged abuse by Neely and Rangers sacked him immediately.   Rangers had no prior knowledge of Neely's behaviour but sacked him anyway.   If the boy and his parents weren't happy at that outcome then why didn't they take it further at the time?     

2 years ago our club said we reported it to the police immediately. Now it has come to light we may not have and instead we gave him a nice send off in our official club magazine. The BBC are definitely making the most of it given the relationship between us but I think it warrants an investigation and as a fan I absolutely expect our club to do the right thing here and investigate this thoroughly. If we didnt report it to the police why did we say we did?

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Can I suggest moving this to general sports. Whilst its Rangers related, its fundamentally wrong to discuss it in the main, most visited section of the forum when we aren't allowed to debate the rest of the country's abuse in here too. It would be like doing the haters work for them.

That's not to say I want it covered up, or dont want the truth  to prevail. Any complicit club or individual should be hammered for their actions if proven. Which an independent enquiry has more chance of uncovering than a joke sfa one.

So let's debate away, but lets do it where the other debate is then the paedo lurkers and journalists can see the full discussion.

No. It's Rangers related. There's absolutely no reason to discuss them and their disgusting cover up at the same time as our own alleged one. 

2 minutes ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

Already had a taig message me claiming we’re just as bad as the Taigs because of this. If he believes that then he’s dumber than I thought 🤦🏻‍♂️

Has your friend just admitted they abused children and covered it up? Wow.

6 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

The club reported it to the police against the wishes of the parents, one of whom was a copper himself.

1 minute ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Em...why now, it all seems a bit Me Too, when we look across the city and we see the potential pay outs.

If the allegations are true, and as I've posted above, the club has to investigate this immediately as a matter of urgency, then the timing of the claim is irrelevant. 

6 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

He is suing Rangers and if this is a legitimate claim we need to be sincerely apologising to him and compensating him

Threatening to spank a 14 year old? Really? You'd be ok with a coach telling your 14 year old to drop their pants? 

This is absolutely fuck all to do with those cunts on the other side of this city ffs. This is a very, very serious accusation that we covered up paedophilia at our football club 

Nope I wouldn’t but I also wouldn’t expect the police to charge him for that back in the late 80’s early 90’s. 

So what is to say the club didn’t phone the police and the police simply said there is nothing to investigate. 

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I agree. It sounds pretty insignificant and stinks of a set up.  Or at least a cynical grab for cash.

However, this will be on the BBC news in about 10 minutes.

It could prove to be very damaging to the club. 

Its time for Dave King to ask openly why the pedo ring at the scum is being ignored while the media are attacking Rangers as usual.

1 minute ago, Getstiffed said:

The club reported it to the police against the wishes of the parents, one of whom was a copper himself.

...that's the part being challenged mate and the club have to come out and address this. 

It's being claimed we did not actually report it to the police.

Just now, psb07158 said:

2 years ago our club said we reported it to the police immediately. Now it has come to light we may not have and instead we gave him a nice send off in our official club magazine. The BBC are definitely making the most of it given the relationship between us but I think it warrants an investigation and as a fan I absolutely expect our club to do the right thing here and investigate this thoroughly. If we didnt report it to the police why did we say we did?

No. It's Rangers related. There's absolutely no reason to discuss them and their disgusting cover up at the same time as our own alleged one. 

Has your friend just admitted they abused children and covered it up? Wow.

No, we never gave him a "nice send off" in the club newspaper. A junior reporter gave the standard best wishes pish that most inconsequential staff members leaving would receive. Don't try and make out we put out a 10 page pull out lording the cunt up.

Just now, psb07158 said:

...that's the part being challenged mate and the club have to come out and address this. 

It's being claimed we did not actually report it to the police.

Easy claim to make considering it was 30 years ago and the Police back then would have binned any record of it after speaking to the parents and being told not to pursue it.

Archived