Rangers - alleged cover up - BBC rebutted by club

RangersMedia

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, soulboy said:

The guy on fb has said what daly has done it's not going to ruin him like the guy said but shows what Daly is like. 

Basically he went undercover as a cop for a year to get proof of racism in the police when the police found out they took him to court and he was ordered to pay back the salary he got for a year as it was under false pretences. The programme was never shown as the police feared it would cause more riots like Toxteth.

He then was making another undercover programme about buying and he was injecting illegal performace enhancing drugs to prove that these didn't show up in athletes drug tests again the programme was never aired.

It was showing as I watched it.

20 hours ago, soulboy said:

The guy on fb has said what daly has done it's not going to ruin him like the guy said but shows what Daly is like. 

Basically he went undercover as a cop for a year to get proof of racism in the police when the police found out they took him to court and he was ordered to pay back the salary he got for a year as it was under false pretences. The programme was never shown as the police feared it would cause more riots like Toxteth.

He then was making another undercover programme about buying and he was injecting illegal performace enhancing drugs to prove that these didn't show up in athletes drug tests again the programme was never aired.

Just read this mate, I assume you are meaning Daly went undercover, twice ?

Was this supposed to have happened before he was at the BBC ? before he became known ?

It must have been a long term project, to get accepted into the force, then do all the training to get the chance to become an undercover cop. 

I think the person on FB might be talking a lot of shite, but I could be wrong. :thinking:

3 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Was this supposed to have happened before he was at the BBC ? before he became known ?

It must have been a long term project, to get accepted into the force, then do all the training to get the chance to become an undercover cop. 

I think the person on FB might be talking a lot of shite, but I could be wrong. :thinking:

Yes Daly went undercover twice whilst working for the BBC

8 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

googled it and this came up 

23 Oct 2003 - To expose suspected racist behaviour Mark Daly, 28, an undercover ... police service as it was forced to face up to yet another racism crisis. .... The undercover reporter, who is to repay his £18,000 a year salary to the Manchester force, was eventually rumbled after police received a tip off about his identity.

Just now, soulboy said:

Yes Daly went undercover twice whilst working for the BBC

So this was before he was known to people I assume?

I am not doubting what you are passing on mate, but for a BBC employee to get accepted by the police and then do all the months training so that they might find out they were racist is amazing. 

2 minutes ago, soulboy said:

googled it and this came up 

23 Oct 2003 - To expose suspected racist behaviour Mark Daly, 28, an undercover ... police service as it was forced to face up to yet another racism crisis. .... The undercover reporter, who is to repay his £18,000 a year salary to the Manchester force, was eventually rumbled after police received a tip off about his identity.

Well I must admit I thought that was nonsense, but well done for providing the evidence, pun intended. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Pathetic reply, exactly as expected.

Reference XXXXXXX

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting us regarding our reporting on the emergence of new evidence suggesting Rangers FC covered up the reasons why a former youth coach (Gordon Neely) accused of child sex offences left the club.

We’ve received a range of feedback about our coverage of this story across our news output. Keeping in mind pressures on licence fee resources, this response seeks to address the key points. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually but we hope this will address most of the points raised.

In choosing which stories to cover each day and where they appear in our output, our editors base their decisions on the editorial merits of all the stories at hand, looking at various factors including whether it’s breaking news, follows on from a recent event, changes our understanding of things, is unusual or attracting interest etc. We accept that not everyone will agree with each decision.

We’ve reported extensively on child abuse allegations in Scottish football. As with our other reporting, this story was reported accurately and with due sensitivity and we stand by our journalism.

We can also assure you that, contrary to what’s been suggested, the BBC is not biased for or against Rangers FC. Our reporting is undertaken fully in line with the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and with the Broadcasting Code which is laid down by the independent industry regulator, Ofcom.

Thank you again for your comments which have been shared with news teams and senior management.

Kind regards
Deborah Dawson 

BBC Complaints Team 
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints 

Please note: this email is sent from an unmonitored address so please don’t reply. If necessary please contact us through our webform (please include your case reference number).

Having a reply from the BBC complaints dept that you are not happy with, gives you the criteria needed to complain to OFCOM. Will this be your next course of action?

10 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Having a reply from the BBC complaints dept that you are not happy with, gives you the criteria needed to complain to OFCOM. Will this be your next course of action?

@Colin Traiveshould definitely complain to Ofcom if that's an option. The response is a disgrace from a so called impartial organisation. 

When they have had so many complaints upheld over the years, they should be investigating the reasons for it and the culprits - funnily enough the same suspects time and time again.

There appears to be a culture at BBC Scotland where we are fair game and the same rules of reporting don't seem to apply to us. It does need to stop, and the more of us who complain, hopefully people will listen.

1 hour ago, Bears r us said:

So this was before he was known to people I assume?

I am not doubting what you are passing on mate, but for a BBC employee to get accepted by the police and then do all the months training so that they might find out they were racist is amazing. 

You might find this little  bit of info interesting BRU

Mark Daly looked back over a career that has seen the investigative journalist expose police racism, sexual abuse at a school and drug abuse in sport at an RTS Scotland event in late September at Film City, Glasgow.

Daly made his name with his first film, 2003 BBC doc The Secret Policeman, in which he infiltrated the police in Manchester and uncovered, “the most ferocious, incomprehensible, racism”. One police recruit was heard to praise the racist killers of black student Stephen Lawrence on the programme.

Daly had joined the BBC’s investigations team “specifically to do this project”, having worked on newspapers that included the Clydebank Post and The Scotsman.

It took a year for Daly to prepare. “I had to learn how to go undercover to convince people that I was who they thought I was – that’s difficult,” he recalled. “The trick to being undercover is not to tell too many lies about who you really are, because you would get tripped up.”

He worked undercover for eight months. “Long-term, deep penetrative cover is something that you don’t know whether you can do – for some reason I took to it. I wasn’t able to tell anyone, including my family,” he said.

Yet, despite taking great care with his cover story, Daly was caught out while texting his producer from the back of a police vehicle. He had been planning to resign from the force for “family reasons” but was “rumbled with two weeks to go”.

Daly was arrested and found himself mired in a political row when Home Secretary David Blunkett slammed the programme as a “covert stunt”. Blunkett later apologised and no charges were brought against Daly, who was named RTS Young Journalist of the Year for his work on the BBC One doc.

Daly has continued to make hard-hitting programmes for the BBC, including The Men Who Sold the Jerseys, which investigated the financial scandal that took Glasgow Rangers to the edge of extinction; Sins of our Fathers, in which he unearthed abuse at one of Scotland’s leading Catholic boarding schools; and Scotland’s Paradise Papers.

The latter investigation was based on the leaked Paradise Papers, which enabled Daly to “shine a light on how the rich and powerful legally avoid tax”.

In 2015 for a Panorama film, Catch Me If You Can, he investigated the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport. Daly took the blood-boosting drug EPO, which he bought, easily, from the internet. The drug improved his cycling markedly – but despite being “doped for seven weeks”, during which time he was “tested once a week”, Daly was found to be “clean”. He said this “showed the inadequacies of the testing regime”.

At the RTS Scotland event, at which he was interviewed by RTS 2018 Young Journalist Award winner and STV Aberdeen reporter Ben Philip, Daly discussed the techniques used by investigative journalists, including door-stepping. “I don’t think it matters how many times you do it or how accomplished a broadcaster you are, it’s really nerve-wracking because so many things could go wrong,” he said.

Daly also offered some advice to any budding journalists at the event about becoming overly reliant on internet research. “Social media is a wonderful tool, but it’s no substitute for what journalism actually is, which is talking to people,” he said.

“You can get huge amounts of information from documents, papers, leaks and data scraping – these are all wonderful tools, but that’s all they are. A journalist’s job is to talk to people.”
 https://rts.org.uk/article/ben-philip-interviews-bbc-investigative-journalist-mark-daly

2 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

@Colin Traiveshould definitely complain to Ofcom if that's an option. The response is a disgrace from a so called impartial organisation. 

When they have had so many complaints upheld over the years, they should be investigating the reasons for it and the culprits - funnily enough the same suspects time and time again.

There appears to be a culture at BBC Scotland where we are fair game and the same rules of reporting don't seem to apply to us. It does need to stop, and the more of us who complain, hopefully people will listen.

Agreed. Daly should have used the word allegedly in that headline. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50087600

Imho, it was the clubs duty to report the crime to the police not name and shame Neely in a club mag, which could have caused the boy more anguish as the story would have been picked up by the press at the time. 

The boy is allowed his own opinion as he sees it but Daly should have checked certain facts. 

• Did the boys father want the club to name and shame Neely publicly? 
  •  Was the editor of the club mag asked by the boys father to name and shame Neely publicly?
  • Did the boys father approach SMSM to name and shame Neely?

these questions could have established why the article was written the way it was.

Ofcom Rules here 

Complaints about BBC online material must in the first instance be made to the BBC.
Complainants must have received the BBC’s “final view” on a complaint (i.e. the BBC’s
final decision subject to any reconsideration in light of Ofcom’s opinion) before
submitting it to Ofcom.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/101893/bbc-online-procedures.pdf

8 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

To be honest mate .Ofcom are atrocious .I went down this road with BTwith an absolute genuine ,nailed on complaint .

I'm almost certain they are NOT mpartial but just there to oversee these big Companies .Like UEFA are with the scum .Just there to give out little warnings from time to time 

Yet these big Companies don't give a fuck as long as they follow a complaints procedure  They are a farce 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

To be honest mate .Ofcom are atrocious .I went down this road with BTwith an absolute genuine ,nailed on complaint .

I'm almost certain they are NOT mpartial but just there to oversee these big Companies .Like UEFA are with the scum .Just there to give out little warnings from time to time 

Yet these big Companies don't give a fuck as long as they follow a complaints procedure  They are a farce 

As neutral as John Bercow 👍

I have complained to the BBC as noted below and if I get the usual perfunctory response then I will certainly pursue it further.  The initial complaint procedure limits the detail you can provide to back up the complaint but going forward will allow for a more comprehensive complaint.  I will post any responses.

With reference to the BBC Scotland News item on TV and web concerning the Gordon Neely issue, I wish to complain about what is targeted bias by BBC Scotland by omission and selective twisting of facts.
The so-called news item was a disgrace to honest journalism and a very anti-Rangers re-hash of some old news. The Club and its management's integrity were basically slandered and libelled due to the very carefully manipulated content. The facts were twisted and there were serious omissions from this scandalous effort at journalism by Mark Daly and BBC Scotland. In fact there was so much missing from the item that all connected to Rangers FC must wonder exactly what agenda has BBC Scotland against that football club.
Major points which remain unasked and unanswered by the BBC are:
Why did the alleged victim and his parents not report the incident to the police? Did the alleged victim and or his parents accept that Neely being removed from the Club was sufficient punishment? Did the alleged victim and or his parents request that Rangers should not make an official complaint to the police? If the alleged victim and his parents weren't happy at the outcome at the time then why did he return to training? The alleged victim cannot state for certain whether or not Rangers reported the matter to the police. It was almost 30 years ago and Strathclyde Police no longer exists. It won't be the first time that paper work has been lost by the police. Other relevant points which were not highlighted were the facts that Hibernian FC apparently failed to inform the police of serious sexual abuse by Neely and failed to warn Rangers of his deviant ways. The BBC also failed to point out that Rangers FC had no inkling of Neely's history of abuse at that time.
Like any right-minded person I abhor the very thought of abuse of minors but I think that this BBC article was simply re-hashed from previous news simply to try to blacken the name of Rangers Football Club.

36 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I have complained to the BBC as noted below and if I get the usual perfunctory response then I will certainly pursue it further.  The initial complaint procedure limits the detail you can provide to back up the complaint but going forward will allow for a more comprehensive complaint.  I will post any responses.

With reference to the BBC Scotland News item on TV and web concerning the Gordon Neely issue, I wish to complain about what is targeted bias by BBC Scotland by omission and selective twisting of facts.
The so-called news item was a disgrace to honest journalism and a very anti-Rangers re-hash of some old news. The Club and its management's integrity were basically slandered and libelled due to the very carefully manipulated content. The facts were twisted and there were serious omissions from this scandalous effort at journalism by Mark Daly and BBC Scotland. In fact there was so much missing from the item that all connected to Rangers FC must wonder exactly what agenda has BBC Scotland against that football club.
Major points which remain unasked and unanswered by the BBC are:
Why did the alleged victim and his parents not report the incident to the police? Did the alleged victim and or his parents accept that Neely being removed from the Club was sufficient punishment? Did the alleged victim and or his parents request that Rangers should not make an official complaint to the police? If the alleged victim and his parents weren't happy at the outcome at the time then why did he return to training? The alleged victim cannot state for certain whether or not Rangers reported the matter to the police. It was almost 30 years ago and Strathclyde Police no longer exists. It won't be the first time that paper work has been lost by the police. Other relevant points which were not highlighted were the facts that Hibernian FC apparently failed to inform the police of serious sexual abuse by Neely and failed to warn Rangers of his deviant ways. The BBC also failed to point out that Rangers FC had no inkling of Neely's history of abuse at that time.
Like any right-minded person I abhor the very thought of abuse of minors but I think that this BBC article was simply re-hashed from previous news simply to try to blacken the name of Rangers Football Club.

Good letter, for me the only line missing would be at the end saying “ whilst you continue to turn a blind eye to what’s historically being going on at celtic park” 

Just now, Bears r us said:

You sure it is not 'The Secret Policeman's Ball' ?? :thumbsup: 

Ha Ha! I know mate. I might still watch that too. Anyway, from what I watched of Daly in that piece, it was as though he was putting words into some of the boys mouths.  He’s a fucking cunt for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Ha Ha! I know mate. I might still watch that too. Anyway, from what I watched of Daly in that piece, it was as though he was putting words into some of the boys mouths.  He’s a fucking cunt for sure. 

No idea why that come into my mind :lol: and had to google it, l might also watch it when I have time.  

I think he is indeed. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Hadron Collider said:

For someone to spend that amount of time and effort to prove there was racism in GMP, there was no way Daly was not going to find it by which any ways he could. Leading questions to set guys up. I would like to see the full unedited recording to see if his views incriminated him.

On 21/10/2019 at 17:11, Colin Traive said:

Pathetic reply, exactly as expected.

Reference XXXXXXX

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting us regarding our reporting on the emergence of new evidence suggesting Rangers FC covered up the reasons why a former youth coach (Gordon Neely) accused of child sex offences left the club.

We’ve received a range of feedback about our coverage of this story across our news output. Keeping in mind pressures on licence fee resources, this response seeks to address the key points. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually but we hope this will address most of the points raised.

In choosing which stories to cover each day and where they appear in our output, our editors base their decisions on the editorial merits of all the stories at hand, looking at various factors including whether it’s breaking news, follows on from a recent event, changes our understanding of things, is unusual or attracting interest etc. We accept that not everyone will agree with each decision.

We’ve reported extensively on child abuse allegations in Scottish football. As with our other reporting, this story was reported accurately and with due sensitivity and we stand by our journalism.

We can also assure you that, contrary to what’s been suggested, the BBC is not biased for or against Rangers FC. Our reporting is undertaken fully in line with the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and with the Broadcasting Code which is laid down by the independent industry regulator, Ofcom.

Thank you again for your comments which have been shared with news teams and senior management.

Kind regards
Deborah Dawson 

BBC Complaints Team 
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints 

Please note: this email is sent from an unmonitored address so please don’t reply. If necessary please contact us through our webform (please include your case reference number).

I have just received the same reply from the BBC and I will therefore be escalating it.  

40 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I have just received the same reply from the BBC and I will therefore be escalating it.  

Is it identical mate?

If so, that only confirms that they are not taking the complaints seriously, a breach of their Ofcom obligations. 

To send out a one-size-fits-all, “here’s another fucking Sevco whinger” mass response is not good enough.

Be curious to know if anyone else complained and got the same standard reply above.

Archived