Rangers - alleged cover up - BBC rebutted by club

RangersMedia

5 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Is it identical mate?

If so, that only confirms that they are not taking the complaints seriously, a breach of their Ofcom obligations. 

To send out a one-size-fits-all, “here’s another fucking Sevco whinger” mass response is not good enough.

Be curious to know if anyone else complained and got the same standard reply above.

Absolutely identical and I have already elevated my complaint to the next ridiculous stage 1b of the farcical BBC complaints procedure.  I have no doubt that it will different but they will never admit they got anything wrong.  After that I will again continue to the next level etc.   Undoubtedly they received more than our two complaints.  They certainly failed to address any of my points entirely.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Is it identical mate?

If so, that only confirms that they are not taking the complaints seriously, a breach of their Ofcom obligations. 

To send out a one-size-fits-all, “here’s another fucking Sevco whinger” mass response is not good enough.

Be curious to know if anyone else complained and got the same standard reply above.

Maybe start a thread and poll the people who have complained,  to see what reply's they've had.

On 22/10/2019 at 06:49, eejay the dj said:

Yes Sweetheart .It's a farce 

Everything possible to make it more likely that no one would bother complaining 

They certainly don't make the process easy to complain.

12 hours ago, murzo said:

For someone to spend that amount of time and effort to prove there was racism in GMP, there was no way Daly was not going to find it by which any ways he could. Leading questions to set guys up. I would like to see the full unedited recording to see if his views incriminated him.

Agreed.

I wonder who in the BBC chose to do this particular undercover project.?  Was taxpayers money used to send Daly on his 1 year under cover course? Why did they choose Daly to investigate this story? Why did his arrest get swept under the carpet? Why did Blunket have to apologise to the BBC after his criticisms of the deception? 

I would like to see the BBC questioned like The News of the World was for the way their employees conducted themselves whilst obtaining their stories. 

On 21/10/2019 at 17:11, Colin Traive said:

Pathetic reply, exactly as expected.

Reference XXXXXXX

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting us regarding our reporting on the emergence of new evidence suggesting Rangers FC covered up the reasons why a former youth coach (Gordon Neely) accused of child sex offences left the club.

We’ve received a range of feedback about our coverage of this story across our news output. Keeping in mind pressures on licence fee resources, this response seeks to address the key points. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually but we hope this will address most of the points raised.

In choosing which stories to cover each day and where they appear in our output, our editors base their decisions on the editorial merits of all the stories at hand, looking at various factors including whether it’s breaking news, follows on from a recent event, changes our understanding of things, is unusual or attracting interest etc. We accept that not everyone will agree with each decision.

We’ve reported extensively on child abuse allegations in Scottish football. As with our other reporting, this story was reported accurately and with due sensitivity and we stand by our journalism.

We can also assure you that, contrary to what’s been suggested, the BBC is not biased for or against Rangers FC. Our reporting is undertaken fully in line with the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and with the Broadcasting Code which is laid down by the independent industry regulator, Ofcom.

Thank you again for your comments which have been shared with news teams and senior management.

Kind regards
Deborah Dawson 

BBC Complaints Team 
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints 

Please note: this email is sent from an unmonitored address so please don’t reply. If necessary please contact us through our webform (please include your case reference number).

In reality, this is a generic response, similar in content (other than the bits in blue) to complaints I've escalated previously.  Only at the next stage did I get to more specifics and, of course, your complaint is still rejected as bunkum.  To my shame, I let it pass without going further.

As for the bits in blue;

"We’ve reported extensively on child abuse allegations in Scottish football. As with our other reporting, this story was reported accurately" :  What I don't think we can argue about is the accuracy...

• Rangers DID employ Neely,
  • Rangers DID find out about the alleged abuse,
  • Rangers DID speak to the parents,
  • Rangers DID sack Neely
  • Rangers News DID report he left and wished him well.  

None of that is contentious or even previously unknown about.  What we can take exception to is the omissions in the story and the conclusions drawn by Daly.

• Daly did not mention Neely's previous history, or the reasons he left Hibs, nor is there evidence from Daly he looked into this to establish what Rangers knew before he was employed.
  • Daly did not prove that Rangers DID or DID NOT involve the police.  He used suggestion based on hearsay and lack of records.  Not all reports are recorded, especially if a victim has no interest in raising charges.  
  • Daly did not provide details of conversations with the boys father, nor is there evidence of discussion with Rangers, Souness or Smith.  Nor with the  editor or anyone involved with the Rangers News at the time.
  • Daly did not provide anything to explain why Neely never worked in a club environment again, despite being "highly regarded" in the game.

With the exception of the Rangers News snippet, nothing here is new to me (others may have known).   If this is the strand that's now being used to say Rangers are involved in a cover-up then it's flimsy at best and points to Daly running  an investigation with the sole intent of coming to a preconceived conclusion, and finding the evidence to support it to the exclusion of all contrary evidence.  

My view is it's either a personal thing with him, or he's been put up to it....

The second bit I highlighted "the BBC is not biased for or against Rangers FC"...I'm aware of several complaints that have been made against them by supporters, and a normal person would justifiably  see sense in many of the complaints.  I, personally, have complained about media coverage from Ibrox and also the behaviour of so-called commentators (English & Stewart primarily) with sound supporting evidence.  Falls on deaf ears and pretty much automated responses such as we see above.  There must be hundreds, perhaps thousands of similar complaints to mine and BBC, somewhere, must be able to collate and analyse properly.  Perhaps, as a publicly funded body, this could be pursued as an FOI issue.

Archived