1. 1. Walter or Gerrards?

• Sir Walter.
    • Gerrard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at the squad from 2010/11.  This was probably our best team:

Walter.PNG.a6a992dbe719f1b0d0d594603b701376.PNG

I think the starting 11 and tactics we have now are better.  But we did have some players of real quality back then.  I think Jelavic, Naismith, and Bougherra in particular, would walk straight in to our current team.

1.  McGregor is still a solid keeper.

2.  I think Barisic can be just as influential as Papac was.  Barisic looks a very complete player and he's been outstanding this season.  

3.  I was never a huge fan of Weir.  I always felt his lack of pace kept us camped in our own half when we should be high up the pitch.  Not sure about Helander but Katic is an outstanding prospect and has started this season off brilliantly. 

4.  Bougherra is one of the best CBs I've seen play for the jersey in my lifetime nobody we currently have comes close.

5.  Tavernier is much better than Whittaker it's no contest.

6.  Kent is a better player than Weiss IMO.  Plus, Kent is our player now and didn't fuck off to some obscure country for the cash.

7.   Was never a huge fan of Edu he was a good athlete but never a great footballer.  Guys like Aribo and Kamara are better footballers.

8.  Davis started playing a more central role for us back in 2010/11.  Probably of a similar ability now as he was then.

9.  Naismith was fantastic for us back in 2010/11.  He would drift in and out of games but always popped up in the box and often got a goal for us.  Ojo and Arfield can do a similar job for us but Naismith in his younger days was a great player.

10.  I loved Jelavic.  I know many will say Morelos is better but I don't think so.  Jelavic's ability in the air separates the two and he would be a tremendous asset for us as a CF.  In terms of a striking partnership Morelos and Defoe are probably better than Jelavic and Miller.  Morelos and Defoe could easily score 50-60 goals this season.

11.  Defoe is levels above Miller.

Don't think they can really be compared properly....yet. 

Once this team wins something then the question can be asked, but it's Walter's team hands down at the moment.  Won 3 in a row, which included 7 trophies and arguably should've been more and had he stayed and White not appeared then I'm 100% certain it would've  been. Even just him staying for one last season I reckon he could've gotten that team over the line despite the points drop.

The question has come around a whole lot quicker than I thought possible, think back not too long ago of the squads getting  beaten at Alloa et al, big up to Gerrard and the board for getting it right all the way through the club.

4 hours ago, TMB said:

I looked at the squad from 2010/11.  This was probably our best team:

Walter.PNG.a6a992dbe719f1b0d0d594603b701376.PNG

I think the starting 11 and tactics we have now are better.  But we did have some players of real quality back then.  I think Jelavic, Naismith, and Bougherra in particular, would walk straight in to our current team.

1.  McGregor is still a solid keeper.

2.  I think Barisic can be just as influential as Papac was.  Barisic looks a very complete player and he's been outstanding this season.  

3.  I was never a huge fan of Weir.  I always felt his lack of pace kept us camped in our own half when we should be high up the pitch.  Not sure about Helander but Katic is an outstanding prospect and has started this season off brilliantly. 

4.  Bougherra is one of the best CBs I've seen play for the jersey in my lifetime nobody we currently have comes close.

5.  Tavernier is much better than Whittaker it's no contest.

6.  Kent is a better player than Weiss IMO.  Plus, Kent is our player now and didn't fuck off to some obscure country for the cash.

7.   Was never a huge fan of Edu he was a good athlete but never a great footballer.  Guys like Aribo and Kamara are better footballers.

8.  Davis started playing a more central role for us back in 2010/11.  Probably of a similar ability now as he was then.

9.  Naismith was fantastic for us back in 2010/11.  He would drift in and out of games but always popped up in the box and often got a goal for us.  Ojo and Arfield can do a similar job for us but Naismith in his younger days was a great player.

10.  I loved Jelavic.  I know many will say Morelos is better but I don't think so.  Jelavic's ability in the air separates the two and he would be a tremendous asset for us as a CF.  In terms of a striking partnership Morelos and Defoe are probably better than Jelavic and Miller.  Morelos and Defoe could easily score 50-60 goals this season.

11.  Defoe is levels above Miller.

Miller scored 21 goals in 18 league games that season.

He could lead the line and run defenders into the ground for fun. His finishing that season was out of this world.

Wouldn’t be quick to say Defoe is levels above the Kenny Miller of 10/11 myself.

30 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Walters were winners this squad haven’t won anything of note.

Walters all day long until that changes 

That for me. 

Cursed his football style, but it was a winning one. If we start winning leagues playing the way we do now there will only be one choice. 

26 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Miller scored 21 goals in 18 league games that season.

He could lead the line and run defenders into the ground for fun. His finishing that season was out of this world.

Wouldn’t be quick to say Defoe is levels above the Kenny Miller of 10/11 myself.

Came to say that myself - Miller was abaolutely unreal that season

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Not sure I’d say underrated. Probably under appreciated.

Wasn’t a great footballer but did an important job in the 4-4-2. Ran all day and always offered an option. 

Brilliant athlete, he was unreal at Old Trafford.

Agree about his football ability, still able to chip in goals and had a good strike on him 

20 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Edu is underrated. 

There was a period of time when he was awful. But there was also a period of time after that when he was excellent, but people were already set on thinking he was awful that he never got enough credit for it 

Archived