Still waiting Joe

Essandoh

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I'd like to hear from management exactly what his role/position is in the team before criticizing him.

This 4-3-3 formation normally involves playing one holding player with two box-to-box players either side.  Davis is the holding player but Jack isn’t a box-to-box type for me.  So it really is all down to Aribo to create things from central midfield and that shouldn’t be the case.

It should be Davis, Jack, or Kamara in the holding role with Aribo, Arfield. or King in front.  Maybe Stewart can do a job from the central areas and get forward.

the formation is sound but the players in that midfield three at too defensive and it’s going to cost us.  Everything comes from wide areas and if Ojo and Arfield go missing we’re fucked.  

Gerrard need to shake things up a bit.  Kent and Stewart in the wide areas with Arfield moved in to the centre alongside Aribo would do me.  However, I can’t see Ojo ever getting dropped.  There must be something in Ojo’s contract that guarantees him game time.

10 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There were times though today that Ojo in particular did have time, he then slowed it down long enough to then get tackled and lose possession. Hes never the most contributing in games, but if hes not getting a goal or assist he offers us absolutely fuck all ie his abysmal performance today.

Yeah , I think SG has been forced to play Ojo more than he would have liked with both Kent and Jones being out . I don't disagree with you but I do have a bit of sympathy for Ojo , in that he's young and with the pressure of the fans being on his back waiting for a mistake , which inevitably comes . I sometimes wonder if he dreads being picked every week . 

Anyway , with Kent being back , and Jones , hopefully not far away , SG will have more options on the left which will suit everyone . 

It seems like we’ve put all our eggs in one basket with Joe Aribo.  He’s to be our creative force from midfield but like many young players he’s very inconsistent or perhaps being played too deep.  Arfield has been moved out of midfield and stuck out wide.  King can apparently score goals but he’s been nowhere near this team so I can only assume he’s not good enough and it’ll be another failed loan signing.

This lack of creativity from midfield needs addressed.  The manager needs to spend money getting a proper CAM in.  Our own version of a Christie or Rogic to support the lone striker.

1 hour ago, Henders82 said:

The midfield wasn't even used today. Think it's  bit harsh to be digging out Aribo and Kamara for today. Hearts brought us down to their level and we were shite all over

For Hearts, also read Killie and Livingston. We took the bait. Managed to get over the line in both but they were warning signs

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

Better players than Aribo have come here and taken time to settle. 

We aren’t helping him by playing him so deep though. 

Just look at how long it has taken Barasic to settle ,who was arguably our best player today - although that isn't saying much admittedly.

1 hour ago, TMB said:

This 4-3-3 formation normally involves playing one holding player with two box-to-box players either side.  Davis is the holding player but Jack isn’t a box-to-box type for me.  So it really is all down to Aribo to create things from central midfield and that shouldn’t be the case.

It should be Davis, Jack, or Kamara in the holding role with Aribo, Arfield. or King in front.  Maybe Stewart can do a job from the central areas and get forward.

the formation is sound but the players in that midfield three at too defensive and it’s going to cost us.  Everything comes from wide areas and if Ojo and Arfield go missing we’re fucked.  

Gerrard need to shake things up a bit.  Kent and Stewart in the wide areas with Arfield moved in to the centre alongside Aribo would do me.  However, I can’t see Ojo ever getting dropped.  There must be something in Ojo’s contract that guarantees him game time.

Arfield is wasted out wide and it has shown in his performances lately, the couple of times he has been played in the centre of midfield he looks a completely different player and much more effective than Aribo.

2 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

People are pointint at the midfield today with Aribo and Kamara who were non existant but for me this was because we bypassed the midfield too much. Goldson (who has the worst distribution i've seen) launched at least 7 long balls to nobody today. We rolled the ball out to the defence then played accross the pitch.

That’s ridiculous. There are games where you can  question his distribution but Goldson hit at least half a dozen right to Barisic today, particularly in the first half. Katic never plays it more than five or ten yards apart from when he’s clearing it because he’s not great technically but there are times when you need to be more ambitious and that brings more risk so Goldson is going to give it away more often. 

His performances for us in terms of creativity and goal getting lead me to bafflement at the creaming over his Nigeria goal , coz in the cold light of day it means absolutely fuck all to us , clever in tight spaces at times , never going to win us a game or dominate a game , which we were lead to believe when he signed him he was going to do , slightly in his defence gerrard may be playing him to deep but still nowhere near the answer our midfield needed in the summer 

3 hours ago, GA1972 said:

Needs to be playing further forward, not in our own half

Came as a positive player who’d go at the opposition, we’ve turned him into a deep lying sideways passer 

Spot on, how Gerrard doesn't play him further forward I'll  never know completely wasted , he did get us out of a few dangerous hearts moves on the edge of the box, but non existent attacking wise

5 hours ago, GA1972 said:

Needs to be playing further forward, not in our own half

Came as a positive player who’d go at the opposition, we’ve turned him into a deep lying sideways passer 

I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt that that’s the problem to mate 👍🏻

In the game against the scum, he looked completely lost and also looked like he didn't want to be there (not the only one that day though). A bit better today at times, but I'm wondering if he's really best just being used selectively, rather than just an automatic pick every week now that's he's fully fit.

7 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

I agree I think he might be playing to deep but he also finds himself 35/40 yards from goal plenty times to and opts for the safe square ball 

Today alone, with tactics we play, you see him filling in for Barisic when he goes forward and second half he was asked to stand in front of Ikpeazu at goal kicks and keeper kick outs.

He’s being misused by Gerrard - who seems to have this fascination with 3 defensive midfielders.

21 minutes ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

In the game against the scum, he looked completely lost and also looked like he didn't want to be there (not the only one that day though). A bit better today at times, but I'm wondering if he's really best just being used selectively, rather than just an automatic pick every week now that's he's fully fit.

Aribo was badly out of position that day.  Plus, it was his first Old Firm and these tend to pass players by.  There’s been world class players who have let the occasion of an Old Form game get the better of them so don’t judge him on that one performance alone.

19 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Today alone, with tactics we play, you see him filling in for Barisic when he goes forward and second half he was asked to stand in front of Ikpeazu at goal kicks and keeper kick outs.

He’s being misused by Gerrard - who seems to have this fascination with 3 defensive midfielders.

The three defensive midfielders needs to go or we’ll be in trouble.  I remember this time last season on the run up to Christmas a lack of creativity from central midfield was a major issue.  The return of Arfield in to the centre of midfield seemed to benefit us hugely.  With Arfield out wide we now have Davis, Jack, and Kamara in the middle regularly and the problem has returned.  Gerrard needs to get this resolved because history is repeating itself.  

19 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

Supporters who lavish praise against st josephs...

Get what they deserve.

Said it from August. Ojo and aribo dont and wont get it.  Too physical.. too much pressure

Noth not stating 11 Jersey playere..

Aribopassthebaw sideways.

Davis aribo n Kamara all same players

Largely agree with this but Davis is in a difference class to the other two.

Archived