Corners

Bad Robot

I noticed today that all our corners were taking by swinging the ball out and that really goes against every thing I’ve known over the years where the right footer does the inswinger over at the left and vice versa.

Is this a new thing in modern football or is it a SG thing ?

Warburton always seem to take a short corner which was wrong and again today we never tried this at any point and it was just swing in so surely we need to mix it up a bit with say 1 in 4?

ps Davis’s header from outside the box was outstanding 👏🏻👏🏻

We’ve scored a number of corners this season.  The winner against Kilmarnock.  A goal again today.  So the conversion rate seems to be there.

Also makes sense Barisic puts them in from the left, while Tav puts them in from the right.  They can quickly get back in to position after taking the set-piece.

@Bad Robot I'm not sure mate. There was a spell last season for a good few weeks that Halliday took the corners from the right and Tavernier took them from the left and I remember how dangerous we looked from them. Odd we've changed back to an out-swinger. Another thing I don't like about out-swinging corners is that now and again the assistant flags for the ball drifting out out of play before coming back in, utterly wasting the opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Tav struggles to get back from taking a corner on his side, he’s no chance if he has to get right across the pitch. 

He shouldn't be on the pitch to take any dead ball. Of late, they have been fucking horrendous. Bouncing them off the oppo, over hitting them or a mile off target.

2 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

@Bad Robot I'm not sure mate. There was a spell last season for a good few weeks that Halliday took the corners from the right and Tavernier took them from the left and I remember how dangerous we looked from them. Odd we've changed back to an out-swinger. Another thing I don't like about out-swinging corners is that now and again the assistant flags for the ball drifting out out of play before coming back in, utterly wasting the opportunity. 

I meant to check out the Man U Liverpool game today to see what they were doing but after dropping points my Interest had faded lol but yes if it’s not going out of play the ball is going the opposite direction imo

47 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Tav struggles to get back from taking a corner on his side, he’s no chance if he has to get right across the pitch

That might not be a bad thing because recently when he has made his way back to a defensive position he has made a cunt of it. 

Would like to see it mixed up a bit, I know we’ve scored from a few this season but in general our set pieces are poor.

Also think we need to mix it up at throw ins, instead of passing back to the player taking the throw every time.

25 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

I quite liked what we where trying in pre season, short corner, passed out then knocked back ten yards n whipped in trying to catch the defenders pushing out, seem to have scrapped them though 

Yip. A good ball in and I'm out my seat as soon as it leaves a foot.

9 times out of 10 I'm left looking a numpty though lol.

The problem with having both your set piece takes at full backs. Pretty much leaves you no other option than to take out swinging corners as in swinging corners put that player out of position as soon as the corner is taken. Would like to see someone else further up front take responsibility for set pieces, Davis, Kent or Stewart for example.

3 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

I noticed today that all our corners were taking by swinging the ball out and that really goes against every thing I’ve known over the years where the right footer does the inswinger over at the left and vice versa.

Warburton always seem to take a short corner which was wrong and again today we never tried this at any point and it was just swing in so surely we need to mix it up a bit with say 1 in 4?

They had zonal marking, meaning our players have more space and easier runs onto out swinging corners. 

3 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

Really not a modern thing at all.

Davie Cooper used to take a lot of outswingers from the left. 

Off the top of my head Richard Gough's header against celtic in 96 was from an Albertz outswinger.

1 hour ago, cogsy69uk said:

Would like to see it mixed up a bit, I know we’ve scored from a few this season but in general our set pieces are poor.

Also think we need to mix it up at throw ins, instead of passing back to the player taking the throw every time.

I think we should be mixing it as well, surely we can decide to have a left footer take one form the right and vice versa form the left if the first two have not worked.

See throw ins, I wonder why we never try to find someone who can take a long throw, it cannot be too difficult to see who has some natural ability and spend some time improving their technique.  I cannot remember when we last had a player that could cause havoc with a long throw ?? 

47 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I think we should be mixing it as well, surely we can decide to have a left footer take one form the right and vice versa form the left if the first two have not worked.

See throw ins, I wonder why we never try to find someone who can take a long throw, it cannot be too difficult to see who has some natural ability and spend some time improving their technique.  I cannot remember when we last had a player that could cause havoc with a long throw ?? 

Something's telling me micheal ball, fuck knows why as I don't remember much of him lol 

29 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Something's telling me micheal ball, fuck knows why as I don't remember much of him lol 

You might be right mate I cannot remember but then I do not remember much now that I am on the wrong side of sixty . 😁

I still think it can be another useful thing to have if a player can be found to be good at it. 👍

1 hour ago, esquire8 said:

The problem with having both your set piece takes at full backs. Pretty much leaves you no other option than to take out swinging corners as in swinging corners put that player out of position as soon as the corner is taken. Would like to see someone else further up front take responsibility for set pieces, Davis, Kent or Stewart for example.

Kent can take corners with either foot, from either side.  He always hits inswingers.  Once he’s back in the team he’ll be another option to take them.

Our corner taking  has been rubbish for years. Middleton is a cracking dead ball striker and took a great corner I always noticed but hey ho. Tav is particularly bad. I would have Davis and Barisic taking all corners and have Tav  covering at the back out the way.

15 hours ago, cogsy69uk said:

Agree re the throw ins, unreal how easily we surrender possession from throw ins.  

12 hours ago, BookWorm said:

Our corner taking  has been rubbish for years. Middleton is a cracking dead ball striker and took a great corner I always noticed but hey ho. Tav is particularly bad. I would have Davis and Barisic taking all corners and have Tav  covering at the back out the way.

Just keep Tav away from dead ball situations.

In fact just keep him off the fucking park as he is now a man down.

Quiz:

Q: when was the last time the corner taker was accredited with an assist?

A:

corners always end up 50:50, we should do something that means we retain possession from a corner. This is based on “years’” as the answer to my question 

Archived