Heading to be banned in kids football by SFA

Jakes Pal

I appreciate the differences in age/size of pitches/11 a side etc.....but this research was based on medical findings.

It should therefore follow that there be a medical reason why age 11 is chosen - not the fact they move to a bigger pitch etc.

Don't think everyone will ever agree on this one and I just feel it has been a knee-jerk reaction from a governing body.

...and @Courtyard Bear........ hope your son recovers well  (and remembers the wee nasty that did the kick)

1 hour ago, ianb1547 said:

I appreciate the differences in age/size of pitches/11 a side etc.....but this research was based on medical findings.

It should therefore follow that there be a medical reason why age 11 is chosen - not the fact they move to a bigger pitch etc.

Don't think everyone will ever agree on this one and I just feel it has been a knee-jerk reaction from a governing body.

...and @Courtyard Bear........ hope your son recovers well  (and remembers the wee nasty that did the kick)

Back to training on Monday hopefully no step backs, they still have to play them again so he will get his chance. Dad here got sent to the car park so don’t know yet if I’m to appear in front of the league committee. 😂😂

Spent 10 years in Germany, and coached the local "brits" boys team, from Bambini's to Under 11.  Although heading wasn't banned, 99% of coaching was always on the ground, improving technique, movement and game awareness.  Even in games, keepers (or players taking by-kicks) are not allowed to kick the ball beyond the half way line.  Takes away the "shell" pass and forces kids to play.  It was only the brit parents who it seemed to upset!

Anyway, fast forward to today, my son now plays in a Highland League U17s team and is one of the very few in the squad who can, with regularity, bring a ball quickly under control and find a pass.  Most of that goes unnoticed until he wins a tackle....then you hear the encouragement.

Banning heading for youngsters might be the best thing to happen to our game in years.

1 hour ago, coopsleftboot said:

Spent 10 years in Germany, and coached the local "brits" boys team, from Bambini's to Under 11.  Although heading wasn't banned, 99% of coaching was always on the ground, improving technique, movement and game awareness.  Even in games, keepers (or players taking by-kicks) are not allowed to kick the ball beyond the half way line.  Takes away the "shell" pass and forces kids to play.  It was only the brit parents who it seemed to upset!

Anyway, fast forward to today, my son now plays in a Highland League U17s team and is one of the very few in the squad who can, with regularity, bring a ball quickly under control and find a pass.  Most of that goes unnoticed until he wins a tackle....then you hear the encouragement.

Banning heading for youngsters might be the best thing to happen to our game in years.

giphy (33).gif

Has anyone on here ever watched or been involved in  eleven and under football?  Firstly, most of these games are seven aside and played on these awful plastic pitches. Secondly, youngsters at that age can hardly kick a ball any distance, let alone kick the ball up in the air. Therfore, heading the ball is not common at all and very rarely, if ever, coached at training. Out of the gazillions of players throughout the decades, I wonder how many have suffered brain damage by heading a football. No doubt there may be a few but let's man up and be sensible, heading is a major part of the game, just as tackling is.                   Christmas is just around the corner, plenty of snowflakes then. We don't need them ruining our beautiful game now.

17 hours ago, shotstopper said:

Has anyone on here ever watched or been involved in  eleven and under football?  Firstly, most of these games are seven aside and played on these awful plastic pitches. Secondly, youngsters at that age can hardly kick a ball any distance, let alone kick the ball up in the air. Therfore, heading the ball is not common at all and very rarely, if ever, coached at training. Out of the gazillions of players throughout the decades, I wonder how many have suffered brain damage by heading a football. No doubt there may be a few but let's man up and be sensible, heading is a major part of the game, just as tackling is.                   Christmas is just around the corner, plenty of snowflakes then. We don't need them ruining our beautiful game now.

Yip, what would doctors know about brain injuries 

• 2 weeks later...

So giving the kids a heading helmet then? :lol:

Why be surprised when people are approving over 100 gender selections, guys getting changed in female changing rooms in M&S and people trying to ban clapping.

People go on about it being the Lefties fault, but this has all happened under a Conservative government, in charge since 2010.

Either the Conservatives are allowing this bullshit to cross pollinate because they're not strong enough, or they support this type of shite. 

:lol:

• 2 months later...

It will be televised with VR/augmented reality participation E-sports for the future generations. Physical contact sports like MMA, Boxing, Football and Rugby will change so dramatically that it will be impractical to develop the game - and will slide out of the public domain.

There are 50million people in the world that suffer from dementia, the percentage of dementia sufferers that will have played football I would imagine would be a very minuscule percentage in the grand scheme of things.

I think their is a lot of scaremongering going on over this, if you again think of the number of ex players that don't suffer from dementia then again the numbers will totally outweigh the percentage who do, it's a terrible illness which can be triggered by different things, to say heading a ball puts you at a greater risk is of no consolation the millions who will never have headed a football in their life.

Interestingly this heading the ball debate has gathered pace since Billy (he knew) McNeill passed away, Frank Kopels wife had been campaigning for this for years now but never received this level of publicity. 

12 hours ago, hammer93 said:

There are 50million people in the world that suffer from dementia, the percentage of dementia sufferers that will have played football I would imagine would be a very minuscule percentage in the grand scheme of things.

I think their is a lot of scaremongering going on over this, if you again think of the number of ex players that don't suffer from dementia then again the numbers will totally outweigh the percentage who do, it's a terrible illness which can be triggered by different things, to say heading a ball puts you at a greater risk is of no compensation to the millions who will never have headed a football in their life.

Interestingly this heading the ball debate has gathered pace since Billy (he knew) McNeill passed away, Frank Kopels wife had been campaigning for this for years now but never received this level of publicity. 

So so true, but he ”wuz a pure legend n’at”. 

On 28/10/2019 at 19:18, siddiqi_drinker said:

then there were the occasions where you headed the laces 😮  - mouldemasters were the best invention ever   -- well except when they smacked you on the thigh on a freezing cold day. 

Sorry mate, I'll only slap your thighs on those summer days from now on.

15 hours ago, hammer93 said:

I think their is a lot of scaremongering going on over this, if you again think of the number of ex players that don't suffer from dementia then again the numbers will totally outweigh the percentage who do, it's a terrible illness which can be triggered by different things, to say heading a ball puts you at a greater risk is of no compensation to the millions who will never have headed a football in their life.

There are millions of people in the world who unfortunately fall ill to cancer.

Very few if them will have been exposed to Chernobyl levels of uranium poisoning.

Does not mean that uranium is safe.

What you have to look at is the % of people in general that suffer an illness compared to the % in the group you are studying.

Obviously with radiation poisoning, the cancer rates will be far higher.

I've not looked into it, but from what I have head, the rates of footballers with these brain illnesses are higher than the normal rate, which is worth looking at.

Gut feeling is that I agree with the proposal, but would have to investigate the findings of the survey to be more confident.

Archived