Priorities

To Be A Ranger

The euro stuff is great. 4 days all over Europe for me for the Porto game. Met loadsa great bears and loved every minute but by fuck  the league has to take priority.

We struggled again to win a league game. Gerrard will fail if he doesn't start playing his strongest team in league games. Morelos and Kent on the bench today was insane.

If Gerrard wants to rotate the squad then play Defoe etc in the euro games, and the dynamic, aggressive key players in the league games otherwise we are going to win nothing. Sure we got the 3 points but by a baw hair. 

Stop fucking with the main players Stevie G or our patience will wear thin and all your efforts will be for nothing.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, yes we have priorities, the league but we lost a couple of trophies in 2008 by not rotating the squad.

We never accept second best no matter the competition, look at the reaction after Young Boys to tell you it does not work prioritising one tournament. 

We have a squad for a reason. 

31 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Sorry, yes we have priorities, the league but we lost a couple of trophies in 2008 by not rotating the squad.

We never accept second best no matter the competition, look at the reaction after Young Boys to tell you it does not work prioritising one tournament. 

If the squad gets rotated it should be in Europe though, we dropped our two best players and somebody we paid £7million for and it nearly cost us big time.

37 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

We are accepting 2nd best. Looks like we are playing our strongest selection for the euro games and not the league games. The manager has his priorities wrong. 

34 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Get the league won and then target CL group stages. That's where the big money is.

Definitely.  It's a balancing act for the manager.  We aren't just there to make up the numbers in Europe.  Yet if we want to try against the real big boys, we are going to have to win the league.  League and Euro are all that matters, I don't really care about the cups anywhere near as much.  I'd be quite happy to use those games to rest our starting side and bring in the kids and reserves for the cups.

32 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

We are accepting 2nd best. Looks like we are playing our strongest selection for the euro games and not the league games. The manager has his priorities wrong. 

I don't think the manager weakened the squad too much today, only 4 changes. He obviously felt there was enough on the park to get the job done, and there was.    

He can't win tbh, if he had left out key players against Porto and rested them for a game ( which we should be strong enough to win without our strongest 11) , and then went out and got torn apart by Porto, he would be getting slated.

All ends well though, a great point away in Europe, and three points domestically.   Pretty damn good in fact.

1 hour ago, gogzy said:

Definitely.  It's a balancing act for the manager.  We aren't just there to make up the numbers in Europe.  Yet if we want to try against the real big boys, we are going to have to win the league.  League and Euro are all that matters, I don't really care about the cups anywhere near as much.  I'd be quite happy to use those games to rest our starting side and bring in the kids and reserves for the cups.

I don't think the manager weakened the squad too much today, only 4 changes. He obviously felt there was enough on the park to get the job done, and there was.    

He can't win tbh, if he had left out key players against Porto and rested them for a game ( which we should be strong enough to win without our strongest 11) , and then went out and got torn apart by Porto, he would be getting slated.

All ends well though, a great point away in Europe, and three points domestically.   Pretty damn good in fact.

First paragraph is garbage mate, winning the first trophy of the season breeds confidence and installs that hunger for more, barely anyone in our club now has lifted a cup, that hoodoo needs busted asap

Jermain Defoe is our top scorer in the league. The manager is doing a fairly good job of managing his squad of players. there has to be a degree of rotation

I say fairly good because he has blind spots like Goldson, Tav and Arfield. 

Those three also need to be rested and arguably we are better positioned to rest Goldson and Arfield than Kent as an example.  

Priority is every game....

Kent is feeling his way back in and should not have started...But we're joint top of the league and winning. In Europe playing proper sides like Porto off the park. 3 years ago the beggars were putting 5 past us and Progrese were putting us out of Europe.

Massive strides have been made and we will get there .

If Gerrard starts the next euro game with the team from yesterday then he’ll be lambasted by most people.

the next priority for the Gers is the next game. As it should be.

that team yesterday should’ve had enough guile to best Motherwell a lot easier than they made it,     And it’s time these players like Aribo and Greg Stewart started showing why they play for Rangers.

his bizarre infatuation, with the CH partnership, will cost us the league IMO

i'd argue the best two CH didn't even play on Sat, cue the usual strikers buzzing by our two cumbersome, immobile bosses favourites

his morelos nonsense is also a mark of rank stupidity

i'm only logging on just now so not sure if he has already done so but if he hasn't officially removed Tav from penalty duties then that would be another sign of idiocy

😂😂😂 putting  it quite simply - Rangers expect to win every game - our supporters expect our strongest team every game. 

But the first point is a pipe dream as even great teams draw and lose occasionally.

the second point is nieve - there are so many games in a season that to try to achieve point one means wee must rotate - or the players will run out of steam by the end of the season, it also helps injury prevention ( which is good for the team) and it keeps a good number of players match fit so folk can step in if someone is injured. 

SG is doing a good job of managing the squad. 

Ps - we won yesterday 

1 hour ago, thehost said:

his bizarre infatuation, with the CH partnership, will cost us the league IMO

i'd argue the best two CH didn't even play on Sat, cue the usual strikers buzzing by our two cumbersome, immobile bosses favourites

his morelos nonsense is also a mark of rank stupidity

i'm only logging on just now so not sure if he has already done so but if he hasn't officially removed Tav from penalty duties then that would be another sign of idiocy

He's not, hes asked us to get behind him

I don't think the squad was weakened too much. Defoes the top scorer in the league. Aribo is touted as one of our better signings, Stewart had impressed in previous games at ibrox.  Jack and Kent just back from injuries and put in a huge shift on Thursday, kamara ill. Morelos been rotated in the league since start of the season.

Having an off day (in a game we still won) isn't accepting second best or prioritising Europe. Its trusting his squad and keeping players as fresh as we can. 

We’ve got a league game on Wednesday and a semi final on Sunday of course he was going to rotate the team.

Thats why you have a big squad. 

Lucky we won yesterday then to be joint top whilst competing in a semi final and progressing nicely in Europe.

Sometimes people really do like to moan for no reason.

4 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

If the squad gets rotated it should be in Europe though, we dropped our two best players and somebody we paid £7million for and it nearly cost us big time.

European football is the attraction for signing £7m players, they wouldn't be happy if they were rested for big European games so they are fit to play vsMotherwell.

6 hours ago, To Be A Ranger said:

The euro stuff is great. 4 days all over Europe for me for the Porto game. Met loadsa great bears and loved every minute but by fuck  the league has to take priority.

We struggled again to win a league game. Gerrard will fail if he doesn't start playing his strongest team in league games. Morelos and Kent on the bench today was insane.

If Gerrard wants to rotate the squad then play Defoe etc in the euro games, and the dynamic, aggressive key players in the league games otherwise we are going to win nothing. Sure we got the 3 points but by a baw hair. 

Stop fucking with the main players Stevie G or our patience will wear thin and all your efforts will be for nothing.

Totally agree.

However, I'd say that Kent on the bench was insane. It is clear if you play Defoe you cannot lump balls up to him or cross into him and expect big results. He likes to be passed to. Kent is the only excellent supplier of this because he is the most talented player to take others on beat them and go through them.

I said when we went a goal down it's nuts to not have Kent on but thankfully he was brought on and that was the difference. I find it scary such a basic thing is being over-looked.

Personally, I'd have looked at Motherwell - hammer throwers and dirty pricks - and thought Morelos would have been the better striker for this game, but if that's the case then we wouldn't have needed Kent so much and probably would have gotten away with resting him.

I guess what to take away from the game is that Gerrard isn't very good at predicting what will happen before games at times, but he's at least capable of making the right decisions to change the way a game is going.

2 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

If Gerrard starts the next euro game with the team from yesterday then he’ll be lambasted by most people.

the next priority for the Gers is the next game. As it should be.

that team yesterday should’ve had enough guile to best Motherwell a lot easier than they made it,     And it’s time these players like Aribo and Greg Stewart started showing why they play for Rangers.

Sensible post of the morning :tu:

4 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

We're accepting second best.

By being joint top.

RM lady and boys

It nearly cost us and it could cost us, but it actually didn’t so the rest of my post is going to be a series of if’s but’s and maybe’s - seems the be the standard RM posters attitude these days.

Archived