And if we face celtic in the final .........................

The Widow's Son

2 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Aye , any time we scored you just grabbed the guy next to you as though he was your best mate . Then you'ld end up about 10 yards from where you originally stood if it was really busy . 

And if a hole developed in the bedlam , you would try to avoid falling into it , in case very other cunt just trampled on you .

For me , I always remember how the other team scored , you never heard a thing . Until about 1 second later . And a wall of sound hit you like it was deafening .

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Scottish Cup Final replay against Dundee Utd was a classic example of the dark charcoal gray ash experience. We scored a couple of quickfire goals, John McDonald I think, those of us in the West Terrace only knew that we had scored again because we heard the roar from the Bears in the Main Stand. 4-1 it finished, and that was when we were basically shit and Utd had a good side.

9 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

And if a hole developed in the bedlam , you would try to avoid falling into it , in case very other cunt just trampled on you .

For me , I always remember how the other team scored , you never heard a thing . Until about 1 second later . And a wall of sound hit you like it was deafening .

:lol: that's right , the delayed noise . Actually the only time you heard the opposing fans including the tarriers . You never heard them sing because of the singing under the cover at the Rangers End . 

Happy days indeed . 

On 02/11/2019 at 00:40, The Widow's Son said:

From the bygone days of yore, perhaps you remember the 1970 League Cup Final.  We hadn't won a trophy for some years (over four) and celtic had some team in those days.  but beaten they were by Derek Johnstone.  Don't remember this game much - the beers more than the years - but other posters have pointed out that Derek became a very popular boys name around this time.  Still remember a photo of Derek and Colin Jackson (a personal fave of mine) smoking a cigar with the cup.  We all wore younger men's clothes in those days.  

Maybe some of the more seasoned bears can share their memories of this game.  Warms your heart when you're 8,000 miles or so away.

1970 LC final was my first OF game. My dad said I was too young at 9 to go to the 1969 SC final (always thanked him for that).  He went with his mates. 

Don't remember too much about the day but still remember the goal like it was yesterday. Got separated from my dad at it and although we could see each other seemed to take ages to get back together again. Probably only a few minutes but felt like an eternity to me. 

33 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

It has become a pissing contest about the colour of the dust cloud.
I coulda swore it was red,but have been challenged on this ,by it being pointed out it was black.
Me personally am now going for a dark burgundy :mutley:

Thank fuck I can remember the 3rd goal by Tam. 

I remember behind the goal at the piggery it was a bogging pish stained red ash, maybe you’re getting mixed up with that. Mind the first time I went the guys on the bus telling me  that it wasn’t clean like Ibrox and advised me to wear welly boots, thought they were joking anaw 🤣

stood at hampden a few times before they put the seats in, 80/90 thousand crowds unreal can only imagine what the carnage was like in the 70’s. Also Hampden must have been cleaner by the mid/late 80’s I don’t remember the dust.

4 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Aye ok!!!!….the red ash from the track must have got mixed through the black ash from the terrace.
suppose it would depend what the dominant colour of the ash was to produce a fuckin kinda red cloud.
ffs...it was 46 years ago.  

Do you practice being an arse or does it come naturally.

8 minutes ago, gmcf said:

:lol: that's right , the delayed noise . Actually the only time you heard the opposing fans including the tarriers . You never heard them sing because of the singing under the cover at the Rangers End . 

Happy days indeed . 

That is true gmcf . Forgotten about that too :p:

9 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I remember behind the goal at the piggery it was a bogging pish stained red ash, maybe you’re getting mixed up with that. Mind the first time I went the guys on the bus telling me  that it wasn’t clean like Ibrox and advised me to wear welly boots, thought they were joking anaw 🤣

stood at hampden a few times before they put the seats in, 80/90 thousand crowds unreal can only imagine what the carnage was like in the 70’s. Also Hampden must have been cleaner by the mid/late 80’s I don’t remember the dust.

They eventually got around to concreting the terraces and installing new crush barriers, mid eighties I think. It may seem hard to believe for younger Bears, but the Rangers end at Hampden was a great place to be and enjoy the game when it was that vast terracing. The noise was just incredible, and as mentioned by others, the scenes when we scored had to be experienced to be believed.

5 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

They eventually got around to concreting the terraces and installing new crush barriers, mid eighties I think. It may seem hard to believe for younger Bears, but the Rangers end at Hampden was a great place to be and enjoy the game when it was that vast terracing. The noise was just incredible, and as mentioned by others, the scenes when we scored had to be experienced to be believed.

Spot on . It's not a completion with nowadays  . It was just special then and will never be beaten for me

The Rangers end when Rangers fans were proud to call it that cause we were there that often

20 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Aye front of the Rangers end at the piggery was a river of red ash when it rained, Rangers end at hampden was wooden terracing filled with black ash before they concreted it.

30 minutes ago, Brubear said:

1970 LC final was my first OF game. My dad said I was too young at 9 to go to the 1969 SC final (always thanked him for that).  He went with his mates. 

Don't remember too much about the day but still remember the goal like it was yesterday. Got separated from my dad at it and although we could see each other seemed to take ages to get back together again. Probably only a few minutes but felt like an eternity to me. 

Remember reading a story about a kid at, I think it was the Maracana, who got separated from his dad at a massive crowd and never saw him again, ever. He was from the favelas and had no idea how to get home.

From memory he ended up playing keepie uppy on the pitch at half time to earn money cause he was homeless!

I could have made this up as I’m just searched for it online and can’t find it 😂 

18 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Remember reading a story about a kid at, I think it was the Maracana, who got separated from his dad at a massive crowd and never saw him again, ever. He was from the favelas and had no idea how to get home.

From memory he ended up playing keepie uppy on the pitch at half time to earn money cause he was homeless!

I could have made this up as I’m just searched for it online and can’t find it 😂 

During my teenage years I suspect my dad might have wished on the odd occasion that we had never got back together. 

Seriously, what a tragedy for the boy you read about. Guess less support networks in these countries, especially decades ago. 

As above the Rangers end at Hampden was on  a dry day dense dust held back by wood. Dust everywhere ,and after a goal a dust cloud for quite a few minutes. 

On dry days the South Westerly wind would often push down across the cellic end  terraces across the park and whip around the dust on the track and the lower right hand corner of the Rangers end creating whirlpool mini hurricanes down in the corner.

Often the rivers of pee coming down the terrace would cement the dust a bit better. On wet days the terrace was all mud and pee. In amongst the dust there was always quite a few decomposing cigarette butts and plenty of the these.

attachment.php?s=d4a6189b020e69e863409bc

The ones at the top right in the photo were the best, cause if you broke them in half you could use the springy bit to propel the ring bit with the grooves up to 60 feet away in the crowd, or hit a nearer target, so filled in the time before the game. 

Downside was occasionally daft cunts would be chucking empty beer cans around during the game because of bad ref decisions or opposition goals. 

In fact, cellic got a big European fine one time when one of their fans chucked a can on to the park and hit an opposition player against an Austrian team, the joke was then:

What's a cellic fans favourite singer ?       Answer: Chukka Khan.........

Edit: Actually it gets better,googled the incident and  many cellic fans actually believe the can chucking incident cost them the game and a European cup winners cup.. 😀😀😀😀😀

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/oct/01/celtic-rapid-vienna-reunion

9 minutes ago, tannerall said:

As above the Rangers end at Hampden was on  a dry day dense dust held back by wood. Dust everywhere ,and after a goal a dust cloud for quite a few minutes. 

On dry days the South Westerly wind would often push down across the cellic end  terraces across the park and whip around the dust on the track and the lower right hand corner of the Rangers end creating whirlpool mini hurricanes down in the corner.

Often the rivers of pee coming down the terrace would cement the dust a bit better. On wet days the terrace was all mud and pee. In amongst the dust there was always quite a few decomposing cigarette butts and plenty of the these.

attachment.php?s=d4a6189b020e69e863409bc

The ones at the top right in the photo were the best, cause if you broke them in half you could use the springy bit to propel the ring bit with the grooves up to 60 feet away in the crowd, or hit a nearer target, so filled in the time before the game. 

Downside was occasionally daft cunts would be chucking empty beer cans around during the game because of bad ref decisions or opposition goals. 

In fact, cellic got a big European fine one time when one of their fans chucked a can on to the park and hit an opposition player against an Austrian team, the joke was then:

What's a cellic fans favourite singer ?       Answer: Chukka Khan.........

Yuk pee.

The Hampden terracing and passageways were an accident waiting to happen, just ash packed between wooden railway sleepers. Over the years these shifted and became very uneven, how up to 150,000 people mostly drunk crammed into that place without a serious accident ever happening must be down to sheer luck and nothing else.

In saying that it was an unforgettable experience, especially in Section J of the Rangers End where there could be hundreds of wee parties going on, you ended up sharing your carry out with the strangers beside you, like Hogmanay back in the old days.

Special mention to the Spider-Man Loyal, the guys either totally fearless or totally pished, or both, who climbed the floodlight pylons and edged their way along the roof trusses to hang a flag.

20 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Walking up to hampden was stepping over streams of pish,then they actually called them toilets inside the stadium.
Think the terraces were concreted over early 80's.
Probably correct about the ash at the piggery.

As for the colour of the dust cloud,i'm not sure it mattered when you have poetic licence to describe a brilliant day out in 1973. 
My sons mate who runs Ayr true blues loves to hear about our 1 week bus trip to Barcelona,and the cunts on the bus jump in and tell him it changes every time they hear it.  :mutley:

19 hours ago, tannerall said:

Downside was occasionally daft cunts would be chucking empty beer cans around

Real downside was occasionally even dafter cunts would chuck half full cans of pish  :justno:

20 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Is there any need for that ? Really . WTF

Actually thought I had replied,but musta forgot :thinking:
Cheers 🥃 

21 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

The Scottish Cup Final replay against Dundee Utd was a classic example of the dark charcoal gray ash experience. We scored a couple of quickfire goals, John McDonald I think, those of us in the West Terrace only knew that we had scored again because we heard the roar from the Bears in the Main Stand. 4-1 it finished, and that was when we were basically shit and Utd had a good side.

Was that the night Franky Hughes the IRA runner up in the starving competition bowed out as well? Bedlam!! 12th May 1981 Cooper scored and Bobby Russell

I remember watching an interview with an old dear back in the 70s who lived in the tenements next Hampden about OF games. She said she never watched them on TV but always knew the score. She would hear the roar at the gosls and would look out of her window, if there was a dust cloud Rangers had scored and if not it was them. 

Archived