26 games in Europe under Gerrard

beararse

3 hours ago, Chosen_One said:

The calibre of team we have played in the groups the past 2 seasons is far above anyone we played in qualifiers. 10 games, 3L, 4D, 3W

So, lost 3 from 10 against vastly better teams than those in qualification.

given we should have beaten Spartak when the officials fucked up badly and Tav threw away the game v Young Boys, that’s still impressive considering we were utter shite 18 months ago.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Chosen_One said:

According to their fans on the European stage they have been ever since they got the result against Man U. Lot of them saying EL2 will be their level when it starts. 

Basically like beating cowdenbeath imo 

2 minutes ago, beararse said:

So, lost 3 from 10 against vastly better teams than those in qualification.

given we should have beaten Spartak when the officials fucked up badly and Tav threw away the game v Young Boys, that’s still impressive considering we were utter shite 18 months ago.

Which is why those games against the teams we have played in the group stages is far more impressive than a statline bloated by playing diddies in qualifiers, as I said previously. 

4 minutes ago, Chosen_One said:

Which is why those games against the teams we have played in the group stages is far more impressive than a statline bloated by playing diddies in qualifiers, as I said previously. 

I’m only pulling yer leg.

i know exactly  what you’re saying

I canny believe some people are trying to downplay that record because of qualifiers.

He’s got us to the Group Stages of the Europa League from the FIRST qualifying round, TWICE consecutively. Then on top of that our record in the groups has been something to be very proud of.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Some people seem to slag off all our opponents.

Feyenoord pish, Young boys gash and Porto shit.

Some are never happy.

Midjtyland, Maribor, Warsaw all utterly atrocious as well.

17 hours ago, Chosen_One said:

While I think it's impressive, I don't think it is as impressive as some of us make out given the obscene number of qualifying rounds we have had to play. 

For me our outstanding stat is we haven't lost at home in Europe under Stevie G, especially the clean sheets against Porto, Legia, Feyernood, Villareal, Spartak and Ufa. Teams should be very nervous playing us, especially at Ibrox. 

You somehow use the “obscene number of qualifying rounds we have had to play” against Gerrard’s record. Mental.

How early did those qualifiers start? How many players weren’t back with the squad for those games? How far did our rebuild continue from June to August? How experienced were the likes of Maribor, Osijek and Legia in European football compared with our players?

Massive teams go out every single year in the Europa and Champions League qualifiers. It is nowhere near as easy as you’re implying. The accomplishments of Steven Gerrard and his staff far more credit than that. It’s a remarkable record.

35 minutes ago, Chosen_One said:

Christ almighty. Talking about diddies.

59 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Only holds 41 thousand fans    WTF    UEFA are useless.

UEFA Cup/Europa League finals don’t often get played in massive stadiums.  The Etihad only held about 45,000 when we played there at the time.

18 hours ago, Chosen_One said:

While I think it's impressive, I don't think it is as impressive as some of us make out given the obscene number of qualifying rounds we have had to play. 

Come on now Mr Mccoist, your comment last night on live tv was bad enough! 

“Rangers are ahead but I don’t think they deserve it!”

1 hour ago, Chosen_One said:

There are very few "diddies" in European football competition these days.    Times have changed from when you could field a second string team and still run up a decent score.     

Any criticism of our European results under Gerrard is wrong on so many levels.

Last season we came very close to getting out of the group stages. This season. starting again from the first qualifying round, we are a strong position to make the knock out stages.

If we make the knock outs then goodness knows how far we can go.

19 hours ago, VallancesDog said:

Come on now Mr Mccoist, your comment last night on live tv was bad enough! 

“Rangers are ahead but I don’t think they deserve it!”

Did he actually come out with that? I will say this, you would NEVER hear an ex celtic player downplaying their achievements when acting as a commentator. I really don't know what to make McCost at times.

Just now, MurrayWilson said:

Did he actually come out with that? I will say this, you would NEVER hear an ex celtic player downplaying their achievements when acting as a commentator. I really don't know what to make McCost at times.

He did say but then said something along the lines of but that he was happy anyway. 

On 08/11/2019 at 19:11, G.E.C. said:

UEFA Cup/Europa League finals don’t often get played in massive stadiums.  The Etihad only held about 45,000 when we played there at the time.

I went to the final, and remember thinking it was a shame Man City were so in the shadow of Utd.....

Shows how a lot of money and a little time can change things in football.

Anyway, Gerrard has done an exceptional job in Europe with not a huge amount.

Archived