Clubs Playing Weakened Line Ups In Europa League.

tannerall

Happens quite often with the bigger European teams. They often drop a few gears too. Best players get dropped too. I don't think it has ever occurred in one of our games ?

( Not complaining though, we can now compete with the best. )

14 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

There's no sense getting into that because there is clear logic behind people having that opinion

I'm not getting into it. I'm commenting that many of our fans feel justification that we would do exactly what the op says other teams do.

Hopefully Feyenoord or Young Boys play weakened teams in the weeks ahead.  Qualification for the last 32 is so close we need to play our strongest team until it's assured.  Football after Christmas and probably a good few million in prize money to be earned if we can do it.

5 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

Would rather we didn’t against YB as some are suggesting, would make a big difference finishing 1st rather than 2nd

Not necessarily. Every team that’s already qualified will do it, sometimes meaning the better of the 2 qualifiers will drop into second place

12 hours ago, tannerall said:

Happens quite often with the bigger European teams. They often drop a few gears too. Best players get dropped too. I don't think it has ever occurred in one of our games ?

( Not complaining though, we can now compete with the best. )

Sadly it’s modern football, they don’t want to be in it so why should they take it seriously 

Regardless of any benefit that first place can bring in terms of potential opposition in the next round, the purely financial side means that we would still need to put out as strong a team as possible, even if we had managed to get the perfect result in game five and had already secured qualification.

"A victory in the group pays €570,000 and a draw €190,000. Also, each group winner earns €1,000,000 and each runner-up €500,000."

I'd be extactic at getting to the next round, especially if we were to manage that in the next game, but with the best part of £1m up for grabs (that's twenty Kamaras, or half a Grezda) by winning the 6th match and thus topping the group, I can't see many fringe players getting bonus game time unless we're risking suspensions.

Archived