Andy Goram and Alan McGregor

Rlm

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, RS4_wul said:

McGregor is superb, but  Goram was on another level all together for me.

Short (for a keeper), fat, 2 dodgy knees and an alky but fuck me what a fuckin keeper. One on ones he was ridiculously good, one of the best ever.

Games against them he was almost unbeatable, more often than not.

Love them both.

Players had a real character back then didn't they 

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

If McGregor was world class he wouldn’t have played for Besiktas, Hull and Cardiff between his spells playing for us. He would have been playing for a bigger club.

IIRC he was hopeless in the Premier League for Hull.

3 hours ago, TMB said:

Klos has every right to feel hard done by when it comes to caps for Germany.  Klos won the Champions League and was an outstanding keeper.  Kahn was one of the best and as long as he was around no one else was getting between the sticks for Germany.  Almost any other country and Klos could’ve had 100 caps.

His biggest issue was straddling the careers of Illgner and Kopke at the beginning, and Lehmann and Kahn at the end and not being quite as good as any of them.

Although all capped, you could say the same with Raimond Aumann and Oliver Reck who were in the former camp, and Frank Rost and Hans-Jorg Butt, in the latter.

Even Rudiger Vollborn was never capped for Germany either which is astonishing. Simply a country with probably the strongest depth of goalkeeper ever over that period.

On 08/11/2019 at 16:02, Courtyard Bear said:

McGregor just nicks it for me, but I’ve no problem with Goram getting the nod either. 

You're at the wind up surely, Goram in a different league from McGregor, no contest. Goram was great with his feet ,McGregor is very poor with the ball.

2 hours ago, GA1972 said:

McGregor is world class, only horrendous distribution and his absolute love for punting the ball high and right at every opportunity  has prevented him playing at the very very top 

If he has two glaring “flaws” in his game that have stopped him reaching the very top (I think his lack of height held him back a bit too) then how can he be considered a world class keeper?

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

For as good as Gorman was, I’ve rarely seen anybody outwith our support say that he was a world class keeper. If you google top keepers of the 90’s he’s never on any of those types of lists.

Probably because of the league he played in.  Also because he didn’t play at a World Cup because the school masters in charge of the national team continually picked bandy legs Leighton over Goram.

2 hours ago, GA1972 said:

McGregor is world class, only horrendous distribution and his absolute love for punting the ball high and right at every opportunity  has prevented him playing at the very very top 

It's doing my head in .Constantly puts us under pressure

I will never understand why he never copies The legend that is Goram 

He would always step outside the box to launch it putting pressure on the opposition defence.Geegs fucks up his kicks at alarming rate 

Just as well he is a decent shop stopper .Not world class though

Having met him too .He has the personalty of a brush 🤔

57 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

It's doing my head in .Constantly puts us under pressure

I will never understand why he never copies The legend that is Goram 

He would always step outside the box to launch it putting pressure on the opposition defence.Geegs fucks up his kicks at alarming rate 

Just as well he is a decent shop stopper .Not world class though

Having met him too .He has the personalty of a brush 🤔

I’d say he’s a world class shot stopper, some of the saves he pulls off you see from very few keepers and he’s dug us out over the years more times than I can count. You’ll also struggle to find a better penalty stopper 

Has the rare ability to make saves with both legs and hands, most keepers usually over rely on one or the other 

His distribution is awful though you’d think after 20 odd years as a pro training every day someone would’ve taught him how to kick a ball where he’s aiming or he’d have learned how. He’s incapable of using his left foot as well. Always too slow to get the ball as well, between him and Goldson can’t tell who loves launching a diagonal up the park more 

I always got told Goram was amazing and I’ve watched videos of his penalty saves, the save from the dreadlocked Dutchman and at his time he was definitely in the top ten keepers, and was truly amazing for us. 

But, I prefer mcgreagor,  probably an age thing as I never had the pleasure of watching Goram at a game. 

Both heros imo 🇬🇧

I think its a generation thing. Goram,McGregor and klos were world class. McGregor is still doing it for us now. We have been blessed with amazing keepers over the years and I think as time progresses , balls move differently and players get better mcgregor edges it. 

My claim to fame is I played goram at pool in a pub in millport when I was 8. It was a fiver a game or a rum and coke for him if he won. A proper ranger through and through. My old man was up at the bar. 

5 hours ago, GA1972 said:

McGregor is a world class shot stopper but far from world class with the ball at his feet or coming for crosses. A top keeper must have 2 of the 3 , Goram could play in today's game no bother such was his prowess with the ball at his feet.

Archived