Andy Goram and Alan McGregor

Rlm

10 hours ago, Finny said:

I think its a generation thing. Goram,McGregor and klos were world class. McGregor is still doing it for us now. We have been blessed with amazing keepers over the years and I think as time progresses , balls move differently and players get better mcgregor edges it. 

My claim to fame is I played goram at pool in a pub in millport when I was 8. It was a fiver a game or a rum and coke for him if he won. A proper ranger through and through. My old man was up at the bar. 

It's only a generation thing in the sense that one generation has seen Goram and the other hasn't. Older bears are the only ones in a real position to judge.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's only a generation thing in the sense that one generation has seen Goram and the other hasn't. Older bears are the only ones in a real position to judge.

I was meaning in the sense of the footballers being better athletes and the ball not being a big lump of leather compared to the movement players can get on a ball now a days.

So for me that just edges it for mcgregor obviously we never seen Goram in this era so I'm probably doing him a disservice because he was imo genuinely world class.  

We have been extremely lucky to have had they 3 keepers over the years. 

10 hours ago, ianferguson said:

McGregor is a world class shot stopper but far from world class with the ball at his feet or coming for crosses. A top keeper must have 2 of the 3 , Goram could play in today's game no bother such was his prowess with the ball at his feet.

I genuinely love goram but a don’t remember seeing him being good at crosses. 

Theres a cracking documentary with, Neville southall (I think not sure) where they talk about being keepers and how Andy had to adapt his game for being a shorter goalie. Great documentary/interview. 

I’ll try get a link for ye if you’ve not seen it

1 minute ago, G.E.C. said:

Great save yes but the season they got relegated he let in so many goals too easily and ended up dropped for a worse keeper.

True but the full hull team were gash. And a think he ended up injured. Could be wrong tho I’ve never really paid attention much to epl

16 hours ago, DBBTB said:

If he has two glaring “flaws” in his game that have stopped him reaching the very top (I think his lack of height held him back a bit too) then how can he be considered a world class keeper?

I think his biggest weakness is shots from distance tbh.

22 minutes ago, Ayrblue1 said:

He’s home and a hope he’s here for a good few years

I wouldn't be against him staying whilst he's playing the way he is. Just wish he would have a tiny bit more gumption like Goram did. He was an outstanding keeper...and he was drunk throughout his days as keeper haha....which is probably why he had no fear of anything in fairness 😂

His hatred for them was something else also. My hero 👌

(Shame he's done a bit of a turnaround since his days with us though...same with McCoist)

6 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

I wouldn't be against him staying whilst he's playing the way he is. Just wish he would have a tiny bit more gumption like Goram did. He was an outstanding keeper...and he was drunk throughout his days as keeper haha....which is probably why he had no fear of anything in fairness 😂

His hatred for them was something else also. My hero 👌

(Shame he's done a bit of a turnaround since his days with us though...same with McCoist)

I think he’ll be here for a while. 

With Goram he’s like me a wee keeper so how he managed to play the way he did was unreal. But like a said it must be the age thing and the fact I’ve witnessed greegsy doing the things he does, whereas I’ve never had the pleasure of watching Gorum make the saves he did. 

On 08/11/2019 at 17:06, siamthedanger said:

I'm just thankful we have had 3 utterly outstanding keepers in Goram, McGregor and Klos during my time supporting Rangers. 

Christ, even our backup Niemi turned out to be an absolute machine between the sticks.

At one point our 3 goalkeepers were Klos, Niemi and Charbonnier, who was the France no2 at the time of the WC98 behind Barthez.

On 10/11/2019 at 19:59, Spectre said:

Goram for me, there was genuinely a point in the 90's where we probably had the best keeper in the world. We seem to always have been lucky, in my lifetime anyway, to have had top top keepers though.

Not always, we did endure Cammy Bell.

Archived